PDA

View Full Version : New Range is almost done :)

lar45
06-23-2014, 09:51 PM
Hi Guys.
We've been wanting to put in a range at our place for awhile now and have worked on it some. We had a backhoe for a weekend and moved lots of dirt to make a big mound. Then we planted railroad ties in a semi-circle around it and stacked up a wall of ties 2 deep and the second row is a little higher than the first so it would stagger and close off any holes in the seams.
I wanted some swinging steel targets so we pried off some of the steel plates on the ties and painted them white. I'll have to see how they hold up. If not then I can order some armor plate or something else.
I think that I need to pile abit more dirt in front of the wall, but it's getting close enough to shoot at now.
I built a shooting bench and have it on the porch of the shop which gives me 85 yds to the berm.
http://www.lsstuff.com/temp/range.jpg

Ben
06-23-2014, 09:52 PM
Looks very nice to me.

Ben

MrWolf
06-23-2014, 09:59 PM
Looks good. I am jealous and cant wait for the day I can shoot from my own porch.

TXGunNut
06-23-2014, 10:13 PM
Very nice indeed. I like the plate hanger.

prs
06-23-2014, 10:40 PM
One good thing about WV is that God has already made the berms for us here.
Enjoy the fruit of your hard labor.

prs

Love Life
06-23-2014, 10:53 PM
I would put fill dirt 3/4 of the way up the ties.

TCLouis
06-23-2014, 11:03 PM
I concur with what Love Life said.

Luck would have it my berm is naturally about 100 ft high, only had to use a shovel and a couple of hours to put a flat face on it.

Artful
06-23-2014, 11:42 PM
Sand is a much better stop than dirt - especially if the dirt has stones in it.

lar45
06-24-2014, 12:05 AM
The Dirt is all clay. We have a small pile off to the side that just hasn't been put back in yet, but I'm thinking it will take more than what we have to fill it up high enough.

mikeym1a
06-24-2014, 02:12 AM
Oh! You hard working, Lucky guy! I've wanted to do the same for quite a while, only don't have the real estate. WELL DONE!!!! mikey

MaryB
06-24-2014, 02:18 AM
If I can get the variance from the town I was thinking 2 rows of ties spaced 2 feet apart and then fill the center with sand. Use steel fence posts to hold the ties vertical. This is for pistol only so I would think it would take quite awhile to shoot out a railroad tie. Just unstack them, replace the bad ones, replace the sand and good to go again.

Tar Heel
06-24-2014, 04:35 AM
I would put fill dirt 3/4 of the way up the ties.

Yup. Those RR ties will throw bullets right back at you, especially low velocity 38 and 45 loads. Put a lot of dirt in there. No kidding amigo....

cbrick
06-24-2014, 07:27 AM
Nice! What part of Arkansas did you say your in? [smilie=s:

Rick

upnorthwis
06-24-2014, 10:11 AM
You're going to find that the wood uprights on the target holders will erode from splatter way quicker than you like. Might want to install steel sheathing on them. Also, I would make the backstop higher to hold in the ricochets off the top edge of the plates. A range where we used to shoot BPCR gong matches was shut down due to a boolit bouncing off top of plate. It ended up almost a mile away thru some ones garage window.

swheeler
06-24-2014, 10:26 AM
Looks good Glenn, you lucky dog shootin off your porch!

Beesdad
06-24-2014, 10:43 AM
Very nice.. Looks like a lot of work.

One word of caution on your steel plates... I use these a lot and they work fine for low velocity pistol rounds... They are very dangerous for rifle rounds as they are soft and will develop craters easily and then you will have hot lead coming in your direction.

Huskerguy
06-24-2014, 04:28 PM
If I can get the variance from the town I was thinking 2 rows of ties spaced 2 feet apart and then fill the center with sand. Use steel fence posts to hold the ties vertical. This is for pistol only so I would think it would take quite awhile to shoot out a railroad tie. Just unstack them, replace the bad ones, replace the sand and good to go again.

Mary

A friend of mine built his own backstop out of big ties about two years ago. The local CC classes qualify there and over time a few people were given permission to shoot. I was out there the end of May and I was surprised to see how much of the ties were completely gone. It doesn't take long at all to shoot right through one or even two of them. It actually made both of us a little nervous.

thebigmac
06-24-2014, 05:25 PM
You're going to find that the wood uprights on the target holders will erode from splatter way quicker than you like. Might want to install steel sheathing on them. Also, I would make the backstop higher to hold in the ricochets off the top edge of the plates. A range where we used to shoot BPCR gong matches was shut down due to a boolit bouncing off top of plate. It ended up almost a mile away thru some ones garage window.

UPNORTHWI; There was a similar situation in my club. We were the only 300 yd. bay
in the state. BEHIND this pit, 3/4 MI. away, was a house. Police came to the clubhouse for the complaint, only to get frustrated. As a club officer, I went
to the house to make an investigation. Using my police training and a photograph taken from a helocopter,(?) I managed to show the victims where
the bullet really came from. I simply placed a string from the hole in the wall
to the hole in the window, then put the gun on the map. That showed the true
trajectory and it came from a farm about 3/4 mi. away from our club.
The bullet was only in the drywall & NOT enough to become buried.
Knowing this I truly think a ricochet wouldn't travel as you said.
Did anyone investigate??? Was it a black powder projectile??? Are you sure it came from your range??? This always makes me think about the real
reason for stray shots. There is always an appilogy that would smooth things
over, either from the victim or the club.

Too bad another range had to go...

Hope your next range doesn't have this problem.

thebigmac

MaryB
06-25-2014, 12:20 AM
Good to know... maybe a sacrificial layer of2x12 in front for the targets then more sand to the RR ties

Mary

A friend of mine built his own backstop out of big ties about two years ago. The local CC classes qualify there and over time a few people were given permission to shoot. I was out there the end of May and I was surprised to see how much of the ties were completely gone. It doesn't take long at all to shoot right through one or even two of them. It actually made both of us a little nervous.

DR Owl Creek
06-25-2014, 01:16 PM
Very Nice! Congrats.

Dave

jonp
06-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Yup. Those RR ties will throw bullets right back at you, especially low velocity 38 and 45 loads. Put a lot of dirt in there. No kidding amigo....

I've never had a bullet ricochet off of a wooden tie. I was thinking of using Mary's idea behind the house. Row of RR Ties a foot or 2 apart and fill in between with clay/dirt/sand.

94Doug
06-25-2014, 01:49 PM
Super nice. I hope to build something some day like it. I was given some round plates that were about 1 1/2" thick a few years back. I was able to drill and tap them and put eye bolt through the top. Now the easy part is done apparently.

Doug

Pb2au
06-25-2014, 01:55 PM
Let us know when to show up with burgers, cold beverages, and a lot of ammo to test it out.

dondiego
06-25-2014, 02:14 PM
My range is similar only I piled sand and dirt well above the RR ties. The ties are about 5 feet high. I add more ties as I get them. I don't shoot into the actual ties as they wont last long that way. I recently mined over 200 pounds out of the berm.

Lead Bandit
07-13-2014, 12:05 AM
cool project!

44man
07-13-2014, 08:02 AM
My revolvers might shoot through the ties Glen. MORE DIRT is in order. I had boolits go through 16" of seasoned oak and out the metal back wall of my wood bin.

Jayhawkhuntclub
07-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Nice looking range Lar45! I hate to say this, but you might want to keep your distance when shooting those tie-plates. They have angles and holes in them that may create some unpredictable bounce back. Personally, I wouldn't be worried at 85 yards. But it you get up there at more common handgun ranges, you might regret it. For about $50 you can buy an AR500 12" gong or a 16" for about 80. They'd be a good investment and should last a forever with pistol rounds. Also someone is going to shoot your cables in two. When that happens go to Harbor Freight and buy yourself some 5/16" or 3/8" chain and put them back up. Anyhow...congrats! It's going to be a great range when your done.

IMHO, I wouldn't worry about the ties eroding (uprights) unless your shooting 100K a year. We have a similar gong set up at our club range using 4x4s instead of ties and they last for years under heavy use. I would think those ties would last for decades on a private range. We also have dirt backstops and they work fine. Shoot safe!

lar45
07-14-2014, 12:24 AM
I appreciate everybody's feedback and constructive comments. Yes more dirt is on the way, we have a free rental on a backhoe for a weekend. I have a friend with a welding shop that says he can get some armour plate for the swinging targets. How thick does it need to be?
I was thinking of haveing a link for the chains welded on the backside to angle the bottom of the targets away from the shooter to promote the bullets going down into the dirt.
There is alot of lead splatter about 4" in front of the targets on the ground, so maybe I don't even need to worry about that.
We have also added some big red range flags.

NVScouter
07-14-2014, 10:22 AM
You and I had a similar project this weekend. I'll have to take a picture but I have a hill side to shoot into but wanted a RR tie box at 100y to shoot into for recovery and rifles. Its a U instead of semi circle and has a two tie top to keep any verticle richochetts in the box.

My plates I get at any metal supply, machine shop, welding shop and are usually 1/2". The harder steel really pops jacketed rounds apart and cast is fine with mold steel. Dont drill/tap (good luck on hardened steel!) just weld chain link to the back side and be done.

I appreciate everybody's feedback and constructive comments. Yes more dirt is on the way, we have a free rental on a backhoe for a weekend. I have a friend with a welding shop that says he can get some armour plate for the swinging targets. How thick does it need to be?
I was thinking of haveing a link for the chains welded on the backside to angle the bottom of the targets away from the shooter to promote the bullets going down into the dirt.
There is alot of lead splatter about 4" in front of the targets on the ground, so maybe I don't even need to worry about that.
We have also added some big red range flags.

44man
07-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Armor needs only 1/2". It will not dent like soft steel. It is pockets from hits that is dangerous but long range is OK. Swingers are safer. You will not believe the power of even revolver boolits, broke many welds and chains. Even aircraft bolts. Some of the bolts would cost $6 each if bought, got mine free. IHMSA targets were armor plate but feet broke off when welds failed all the time. Seen the feet break off 200 meter rams a lot. Seen them break at 500 meters from BPCR's.
Don't mess up the plate with rifles. Cast is OK.
I have a steel frame at 100 and it is 3/16" steel, revolver boolits have penetrated the square tubing.

Jayhawkhuntclub
07-14-2014, 11:00 AM
I have a friend with a welding shop that says he can get some armour plate for the swinging targets. How thick does it need to be?
As for thickness it depends on two things: the hardness of the steel (AR500 is preferable) and the round you're shooting. For pistol rounds on AR500 steel, 3/8" is plenty (1/2" is better of course). You want your plates to swing free and be angled down.

NVScouter
07-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Welds are usually the hardest part of the metal and the surounding metal is pretty soft due to temper loss. Most of the time the weld doesnt break its at the edge of the weld. If the weld broke the welder is at fault.

Armor needs only 1/2". It will not dent like soft steel. It is pockets from hits that is dangerous but long range is OK. Swingers are safer. You will not believe the power of even revolver boolits, broke many welds and chains. Even aircraft bolts. Some of the bolts would cost $6 each if bought, got mine free. IHMSA targets were armor plate but feet broke off when welds failed all the time. Seen the feet break off 200 meter rams a lot. Seen them break at 500 meters from BPCR's.
Don't mess up the plate with rifles. Cast is OK.
I have a steel frame at 100 and it is 3/16" steel, revolver boolits have penetrated the square tubing.

Jayhawkhuntclub
07-14-2014, 01:14 PM
Welds are usually the hardest part of the metal and the surounding metal is pretty soft due to temper loss. Most of the time the weld doesnt break its at the edge of the weld. If the weld broke the welder is at fault. That makes sense. The gongs I have are made with "ears" attached (all one piece). They are designed to be attached by bolts. This is easier to get the proper tilt on them and easier if I need to repair/replace parts.
https://shootingtargets7.com/store/gongs/3-8.html

lar45
02-18-2015, 02:30 AM
Okay, I think I have enough dirt to play with now.
The wife asks if it's okay to stop shoveling now.

http://www.lsstuff.com/temp/range2-01.jpg

http://www.lsstuff.com/temp/range2-02.jpg

My dear wife was the driving force behind getting the range built.
She has now traded some broken down ATVs for some backhoe work making the pond wider and deeper.
There is 2 100' berms and a 3rd one started.
Doc44 was thinking that we should take the dirt to his place(3 miles down the road) where he has room for 200-300yds.

rr2241tx
02-18-2015, 01:28 PM
FWIW I have found that Grade 8 bolts inserted from the front and bolted to chain behind the gongs are about the best way to hang swingers. A grade 8 will take most rifle hits without major loss of material from the head and the threads are protected so it is easy to change the bolt or chain when one or the other gives up.

This pig is cold rolled and no longer safe since someone thought it would be fun to shoot it with their hunting rifles:
http://i.imgur.com/qUm9K1o.jpg

The fox is AR500 and came to me as a bottom mount. It is lagged loosely into a 4X4 that is pinned to the ground and has taken literally thousands of hits.
http://i.imgur.com/LBBiApP.jpg

And, yes, my "berm" is an old galvanized water cistern filled with dirt. 22LR dent it and fall harmlessly to the ground, everything else pokes a hole. It's about 8 feet across and in 20 years there has never been a penetration on the back side nor a ricochet.

There is a second section of the old cistern next to this one, overlapping a bit, that backs up the bullseye target. No one admits to using the range, but since I put it up there hasn't been a wounded deer to track and I have to restock the black paint and NRA Smallbore targets in the shooting house about twice between August and the opening of deer season in November each year. They run through about 100 clothes pins every year too. These are 100 yards from the shooting house, which conveniently happens to be a retired deer blind so that it gives them practice shooting off the sill just like they do when hunting. The 250 meter berm is a mound of dirt at maximum angle of repose with a 16 foot diameter rusted out water trough leaned against the face and filled with dirt. As you might expect, it gets considerably less attention.

Plate plinker
02-18-2015, 06:08 PM
You need more dirt. Just kidding, nice work.

TCFAN
02-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Here is a couple more ideas on hanging steel plates. AR500 on shepard hooks.....Terry
http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx200/TCintheOzarks/Range%20photos/DSC_2429_399x600.jpg (http://s755.photobucket.com/user/TCintheOzarks/media/Range%20photos/DSC_2429_399x600.jpg.html)

http://i755.photobucket.com/albums/xx200/TCintheOzarks/Range%20photos/DSC_2431_399x600.jpg (http://s755.photobucket.com/user/TCintheOzarks/media/Range%20photos/DSC_2431_399x600.jpg.html)

mannyCA
02-19-2015, 01:46 AM
Looks great! Now break her in!

RedHawk357Mag
02-19-2015, 09:58 AM
I got a quick question for folks with steel targets. If using similar targets and Shepard hooks as shown above how far do handgun projectiles get tossed? Reason I ask, is I like to retain all my lead for recasting. Using range lead or wheel weights typical Magnum level and lower in 357 and 44 caliber. How far would one have to mine to recover the fired slugs typically?

cbrick
02-19-2015, 10:02 AM
At the silhouette range where steel is the only target the only bullets you'll recover are those that missed and are in the birm. If it hits steel there is no bullet left to recover unless your shooting really lite loads at some distance.

Rick

TCFAN
02-19-2015, 10:23 AM
Like cbrick says there is no boolits to recover. At my home range there is just a line in the dirt where fine boolit fragments go. You might find some dime size thin boolit base laying around the plates but not much...........Terry

SSGOldfart
02-19-2015, 10:48 AM
That backhoe really made a difference didn't it? all I would do is add a couple of drums laying on there side packed with rubber mulch my barrel will stop a hot 44Rem Mag point blink and a 30-06 at 7 yards!!! My set up isn't far from your I built the backstop wall 31/2" thick using treated 4x4's and decking boards with treated plywood on the back side. then fill the walls with dry sand. using the barrels as the primary backstop allows for easy lead recovery and my new shooting house isn't completed yet,but it will be soon covered with heat and Air I'm planning to add a target system so I don't hve to go down range to change targets never let anybody tell you retirement isn't work,because if they do they aren't retired or they don't cast and shoot:popcorn::bigsmyl2:

white eagle
02-19-2015, 11:49 AM
Well done
I built my range in a similar fashion mine is build into a side of a slight hill
use the same steel as you and they do crater but seem hard and will break
I shoot only handguns with cast
the soil in my area is sandy so I used that after I excavated for footings on a cabin I intend on building
I hauled the soil with a Cat bobcat type loader

dudel
02-19-2015, 04:27 PM
Looks nice. Congratulations. One thought, more dirt would make lead recovery easier. Easier to sift dirt than pry them out of timbers. DAMHIKT!

ballistim
02-19-2015, 04:43 PM
Looks nice. Congratulations. One thought, more dirt would make lead recovery easier. Easier to sift dirt than pry them out of timbers. DAMHIKT!

I have to admit, my first look at it made me think the same thing, although I think it looks solid with the railroad tie construction and hey, you can always haul in more dirt!

Tim

Taylor
02-19-2015, 09:20 PM
One good thing about WV is that God has already made the berms for us here.
Enjoy the fruit of your hard labor.

prs

Harlan has plenty of God made berms too,love shooting off my brother's front porch.

So jealous,it must be really great to have your own range

RedHawk357Mag
02-19-2015, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the information. Exactly what I was looking for.

geargnasher
02-19-2015, 11:54 PM
Steel is really fun to shoot, but definitely powders the bullets.

Gear

TXGunNut
02-20-2015, 12:06 AM
Nice looking pond....er....berm there, lar45.

TXGunNut
02-20-2015, 12:09 AM
Harlan has plenty of God made berms too,love shooting off my brother's front porch.

So jealous,it must be really great to have your own range

Haven't seen the "berms" in Harlan but I fell in love with the ones at Whittington Center years ago and deposit lead in that bank at every opportunity.

Shuz
02-20-2015, 10:45 AM
Good luck with your new range!

Rwoods61
03-04-2015, 10:43 PM
What does the group think about old car tires filled with packed dirt as a back stop for bullets? I am thinking 2 rows of tires filled with dirt and then supported by dirt on the back side. While not much of a tree hugger, I do believe in recycing everything posible. it is better for me to shoot at them then have them crushed and cause some child cancer as"dirt" on a artificial grass sports field.

rlwoods

Janoosh
03-05-2015, 01:46 PM
I was at a small range that used sand bags as part of their back stop. Rail road ties, then two layers of sand bags in front. Not much made it thru the first bag layer and it was easy to repair. And recover spent projectiles. Clear area in front of steel, put down plastic sheet, cover with dead sand. Call that "Reclamation Area", just remove sand and sift to reclaim loot.

Janoosh
03-05-2015, 01:50 PM
Sand bags as a berm also address weather problems as to frozen ground and washout.
Three layers could be:
Rear two sand
Front one pelletized rubber
According to finances, of course.
That would address weather problems and washout.

jonas302
03-05-2015, 06:16 PM
What does the group think about old car tires filled with packed dirt as a back stop for bullets? I am thinking 2 rows of tires filled with dirt and then supported by dirt on the back side. While not much of a tree hugger, I do believe in recycing everything posible. it is better for me to shoot at them then have them crushed and cause some child cancer as"dirt" on a artificial grass sports field.

rlwoods

I would skip the tires they will throw bullets back at you I have some on my range and can hear 22 bullets hitting the steel roof behind me if someone shoots at them

Shiloh
03-05-2015, 07:23 PM
What is behind the trees?? Open space or more trees??

SHiloh