PDA

View Full Version : is this normal?

Utah Shooter
06-22-2014, 01:08 AM
I was having issues with my gun leading no matter what the alloy used. I had a fellow member here tell me that I should have my bullets a couple thou oversized to prevent leading. I have never had an issue that look like this before. is this normal when you use something slightly oversized? these bullets are also hard to eject by hand. they are at 1.120 oal 40 cal.

runfiverun
06-22-2014, 01:16 AM
I'm not familiar with that barrel.
but I don't think the cartridge should not stick out that far.
I don't think oversize [diameter] is the issue [unless you have a tapered chamber?]
I think your oal [length] is the problem, it's not unusual to have to go full modified [off the book seating depth and lower powder load to match] to make a boolit work.

Utah Shooter
06-22-2014, 01:38 AM
its a Glock barrel. only 4 out of 30 stick out like that. that is also just slightly under suggested 0al.

petroid
06-22-2014, 03:04 AM
You seem to be having a problem with either you boolits being too fat to chamber easily or you aren't getting the flare removed enough. How are you expanding the case mouths and how are you crimping? Measure the OD of the rounds that won't chamber and the ones that will. You need to crimp enough to remove the flare but not enough to dig into the boolit. Also check brass head stamps. Some brass is thicker and makes using fat boolits nearly impossible. For my 40 I seat without crimping and use the FCD only enough to remove the flare but not swage down the boolit

IraqVet1982
06-22-2014, 06:58 AM
Need to use FCD to remove excess flare. I had the same issue in my Glock 22.

Doc Highwall
06-22-2014, 07:51 AM
I agree with petroid about the case wall thickness. Are all the cases the same make and from the same lot?

steve4102
06-22-2014, 08:40 AM
Do the offending cases have a Glock Bulge?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/steve4102/45seatingpossibilitiesx.jpg

IraqVet1982
06-22-2014, 08:51 AM

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y17/steve4102/45seatingpossibilitiesx.jpg
In my experience this wasn't a bulge issue, just a tight chamber. I only have one .40 and do not have a case gauge so I wasn't able to compare results. Removing the flare and adding a very slight crimp fixed the issue for me. His OAL is within spec so that's not the issue.

gray wolf
06-22-2014, 10:30 AM
[QUOTENeed to use FCD to remove excess flare. I had the same issue in my Glock 22.[/QUOTE]
I don't think the FCD has anything to do with case mouth flare. It's the case mouth crimp that removes it.
4 offending cases out of 30 not cambering should be telling you something.
Look at those 4 cases and figure out why they did not chamber.

petroid
06-22-2014, 10:31 AM

If it is Glock bulge just use the pusher from a Lee push they sizer and a FCD with the crimp plug removed and run the cases thru before resizing. That's all the "bulge buster" kit is anyway

mdi
06-22-2014, 11:21 AM
One of the best pieces of advise I can muster for chambering problems is; measure! Measure the diameter of the cartridge. Measuere at the mouth, at mid point, and measure near the base/case head. Is the cartridge larger than factory or SAAMI at any point? Measure the OAL of the cartridge and compare that with a reloading manual's suggested OAL for that particular bullet. Without facts (actual measurements) it's all a WAG...

And nope, that ain't normal.

AlaskanGuy
06-22-2014, 11:28 AM
My questions is, is the gun still leading????

runfiverun
06-22-2014, 01:56 PM
you'll definitely have to measure those 4 cases and see what is different about them.
I do know that different brands of cases have different internal capacity's.
win and federal are fairly close to each other, Remington has more and blazer/speer are in between those two.

you might just have some glocked brass there and will need to add another step to the brass prep process.
or your taper crimp is off a bit.

Utah Shooter
06-22-2014, 07:01 PM
My questions is, is the gun still leading????

It is actually leading worse than it ever has. 30 shots 108523

Funny thing is they measure the same as the rest of them. I did not see the glock bulge either. Not sure what I am missing

you'll definitely have to measure those 4 cases and see what is different about them.
I do know that different brands of cases have different internal capacity's.
win and federal are fairly close to each other, Remington has more and blazer/speer are in between those two.

you might just have some glocked brass there and will need to add another step to the brass prep process.
or your taper crimp is off a bit.

runfiverun
06-22-2014, 11:10 PM
I suspect the leading is something different than the chambering issue.
many of the newer guns are coming without anything approaching a throat, they just step off from the chamber right into the barrel.
not a problem with jaxketed, but lead [no matter how hard] just strips off entering the rifling and the lead is laid down in the barrel after that.
sadly going larger with the boolit actually compounds the problem.

are these 4 a different brand of brass?

Utah Shooter
06-23-2014, 08:49 AM
2 were gfl 1 rem and 1 win.

mdi
06-23-2014, 10:54 AM
It is actually leading worse than it ever has. 30 shots 108523

Funny thing is they measure the same as the rest of them. I did not see the glock bulge either. Not sure what I am missing
The pic is of a cartridge that isn't chambering properly. You shot them anyway?

tomme boy
06-23-2014, 11:43 AM
Your attachment does not work for me.

leadman
06-23-2014, 11:45 AM
I have seen this problem when too soft of an alloy was used (like air cooled ww) with cases that were sized for jacketed (tight neck) and the boolit nose was deformed and bulged when seated.

Turn the offending cartridge by hand while keeping pressure forward on it and see if the boolit is marked by the chamber.

I have also seen the chambers of some new guns that had no leade at all. The end of the rifling lands would cut right into the boolit when fired. Also saw 2 that the chamber was cut slightly off center.

Gus Youmans
06-23-2014, 05:47 PM
Joe,

Your problem may be the slightly larger bullet diameter. I have a Glock 19 9mm that likes cast bullets sized to .358 and some of my reloads, about 15%, will not chamber properly with bullets that large. I have a factory barrel and a KKM drop in barrel for the pistol and the problem is actually somewhat worse with the factory barrel. There are no feeding issues with cast bullets sized .357 or smaller but group size almost doubles. I have not tried to ascertain if the problem is worse with certain brands of brass but should probably do that. In my case, I know the problem is not insufficient taper crimp. Also, bullets with a longer bearing surface go deeper in the case and exhibit the problem more than bullets with a short bearing surface.

I guess the solution is to use smaller bullets or find someone that will ream your chamber out a couple of thousandths. I have decided to live with the problem but have to take the barrel out of the gun and test every round to make sure it will chamber. Any that will not chamber get run up about halfway into a 9mm sizing die, effectively resizing both the case and the bullet. Those rounds get put in the practice box.

Gus Youmans

petroid
06-23-2014, 08:40 PM
So what are the measurements on the cases that won't chamber as opposed to those that will. Have you measured the od at the case mouth?