PDA

View Full Version : Oregon gunshops are worse than California Gunshops.

Whiterabbit
06-19-2014, 08:40 PM
Been trying to get to a few, and it's the same thing. Spotless clean store with nothing but guns everywhere and maybe a few boxes of loaded ammunition and gun cases. No reloading, no parts, no dusty bins for rooting through, no pegs of reloading equipment. The only local renting range is closely connected with the police department with difficult hours and inconvenient location.

I live in an area of California that isn't the best for gun owners, but I'm surrounded by gunshops that carry powder, primers, bullets, reloading gear (admittedly limited selection here), including a black powder shop (no black power :() with all sorts of bins of parts and pieces, gunsmithing supplies, all the accoutremont that goes with shooting.

Seems like the only thing these Oregon gunshops can do is sell me a gun. Each shop, when asked, says there are no local shops that sell accessories today.

Tualatin is getting a Cabellas late 2014. I guess that's the only way folks here will be able to buy gear offline? Very sad.

With the terrible laws getting passed in the north east, I understand less and less why CA gets the bad rap it does, when we have great shops, great enthusiasts, and more NRA members than any other state (despite getting drowned out by the majority).

runfiverun
06-19-2014, 08:53 PM
I [barely] remember when California was a shooters paradise, with several [famous] gunsmiths located in the L.A. area.
Art Green was located in Beverly hills, I used to deal with him when getting antimony/tin/and special alloy's made up. great guy b.t.w.

crazy mark
06-19-2014, 09:46 PM
A lot of Oregon gun shops are really pawn shops. The true shops (over priced) do have bins to pick thru and carry accessories. Some real gun shops however don't have bins to pick thru but do have accessories. Most are in the lower Willamette Valley.

danomano
06-19-2014, 09:52 PM
I live in Oregon... there is at least two sportsmans warehouses that sell reloading items.. One in Salem and one in Portland...

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/

Infact, I was in the one in Portland last weekend and was astounded at the amount of reloading stuff they had. It had gotten fairly thin for a while but not now.

doc1876
06-19-2014, 09:55 PM
I had the pleasure of meeting and sitting in Roy Weatherby's office in 1968! That was one of those life experiences that I will cherish.

crazy mark
06-20-2014, 12:14 AM
When did they open the salem store. It was closed for several years.

I live in Oregon... there is at least two sportsmans warehouses that sell reloading items.. One in Salem and one in Portland...

Infact, I was in the one in Portland last weekend and was astounded at the amount of reloading stuff they had. It had gotten fairly thin for a while but not now.

MaryB
06-20-2014, 12:37 AM
Sheesh gun store I go to has all kinds of stuff from guns, parts, reloading stuff, used brass, some small game pelts including 2 skunks that are for sale... I want to buy one of the skunk pelts and make a mechanical remote control one to have fun with :bigsmyl2:

Whiterabbit
06-20-2014, 12:37 AM

going there next week. If I can bear the traffic. What happened to traffic in Oregon? I'm sick of all the "californian transplant" bs I hear from other people in other states, but traffic is one thing there's no doubt california took to Oregon.

FrankG
06-20-2014, 10:40 AM
Here in Klamath Falls theres still a couple stores that carry a good stock of reloading supplies WHEN available . Before the PANIC ERA the shelves were loaded !
In Medford , Good Guys Guns , White City has Ammo Depot that used to be well stocked .

All the drama has pretty much ruined it all over !!

Larry Gibson
06-20-2014, 11:19 AM
Big difference between a gunshop, a pawn shop, a sporting goods store, a department store and discount houses. Our own fault that many real gunshops have gone out of business because we want to save a few bucks at the others. Search out the real gunshops as they are around, even in Oregon.

Larry Gibson

danomano
06-20-2014, 12:54 PM
I think it re-opened about 2 years ago... it was basically just a name change fiasco... from Sportsmans Wholesaler to Sportsmans Warehouse.. they clearanced the Wholesaler brand then closed for remodel then reopened under the warehouse name.

When did they open the salem store. It was closed for several years.

abunaitoo
06-20-2014, 02:56 PM
Pawn shops in Hawaii "CANNOT" deal in firearms.
When I used to go to Vegas, I would visit as many of the pawn shops I could.
Found some good stuff. Lots of over priced junk.