PDA

View Full Version : Old School

groundsclown
06-19-2014, 05:46 PM
Sure technology is nice, no argument here...but sometimes "old school" is just better. Young'uns these days & their fancy copper bullets & their silly fizzy energy drinks...BAH!!! I spent the afternoon watching Andy Griffith, casting bullets & drinking Mexicoke:drinks:

http://i1126.photobucket.com/albums/l613/groundsclown/DSC_9256.jpg

petroid
06-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Where'd you get the Mexicoke???!!!

DeanWinchester
06-19-2014, 06:04 PM
....oh, never mind. Wrong Mexi-coke.

LOL!!!

groundsclown
06-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Where'd you get the Mexicoke???!!!

Our local supermarket, Publix, carries it in the ethnic aisle as well as most of the Home Depots in the area

MrWolf
06-19-2014, 06:13 PM
What is Mexi-coke?

MrWolf
06-19-2014, 06:15 PM
Never mind found it in in Wikipedia.

44Vaquero
06-19-2014, 06:21 PM
Coke made with cane sugar tastes different, I can tell with my eyes closed. Pepsi Throw-back tastes better too! I wish Coke-a-Cola U.S would start using cane sugar again!

BruceB
06-19-2014, 08:09 PM
The thread title says "Old School".

So...........

One of the neat items my daughter gave me for Fathers' Day is a nice white T-shirt....

On the front is a color picture of an M1 Garand. and the caption reads:

"I'M OLD SCHOOL"

Somehow, I find that more meaningful to me than the Coke discussion.

groundsclown
06-19-2014, 09:01 PM
The thread title says "Old School".

So...........

Somehow, I find that more meaningful to me than the Coke discussion.

Really......
No, that's not a question about your feelings of your fathers day gift. Happy belated fathers day to you, sir.
Nor is it a question about whether or not my thread is "meaningful" to you.

Really....

BruceB
06-19-2014, 10:43 PM
Hmmmm. I didn't want to give the impression that I was "putting down" the thread's topic. I just found it interesting that my daughter KNOWs of my love for the Garand, and even better, she KNOWS what a Garand is. Of course, she has fired just about everything I owned over her growing-up years, Including the .416 Rigby etc... all of which she shoots competently.

I can well remember going to what NOW amounts to a c-store for Coke. This was in a small gold-mining town in Northern Ontario.

The price was printed on the cardboard six-pack carrier, which held six SIX-OUNCE bottles of Coke. That price, with 1-cent deposit per bottle included..... was thirty-six cents.

That was over sixty years ago, so my experience with Coke is considerable.

Have to admit that I was seduced to the dark side (Pepsi) in later years, but there's a case of EACH in my reefer right this minute.

Fickle, no?

Garyshome
06-19-2014, 10:57 PM
Nice going, my casting is on hold for a while until I use what I cast last winter.

IraqVet1982
06-20-2014, 07:03 AM
as well as most of the Home Depots in the area

... I can only imagine why

kawasakifreak77
06-20-2014, 08:52 AM
Cool stuff! Though I do like the energy drinks since i work two jobs, 60+ hours a week.

I can balance an old jap four cylinder's carb rack, repair cloth on an airplane, start a Johnny popper by hand & now (kinda) cast my own boolits thanks to you guys!

Kicker is, I'm not even thirty! I get told a lot I was born forty years too late. Starting to believe them!

hickfu
06-20-2014, 12:06 PM
I Love Mexi-Coke!!! I cant drink coke any more though :| Drank too much of it and it started hurting my stomach

Doc

RogerDat
06-20-2014, 12:49 PM
There is a saying, no doubt an old saying "If it ain't broke then don't fix it." with variations for can't and don't need to fix it. Seems a lot of the new and improved stuff fixes something that ain't broke. I'm all for improvement and innovation but not just for the sake of saying it's improved or innovative.

Recall all the hype about Segway it was going to revolutionize urban transportation. I would say the bicycle does not have much to fear from the Segway competition.

rking22
06-20-2014, 10:00 PM
" Seems a lot of the new and improved stuff fixes something that ain't broke."

Have to deal with this concept at work all the time, constantly think "Just Exactly Who Thought This Was A Good Idea????"

10mmShooter
06-24-2014, 05:38 PM
..Coke in the small glass bottle and a bag of Lance peanuts dumped in, they have to be Lance peanuts :) now that is old school, fond memories of my Grand Dad doing that at the local Esso station many many moons ago.

GOPHER SLAYER
06-24-2014, 06:15 PM
I drink Mexo-Pepso now. When I was a boy I drank Coca Cola. It bottled in my town and was only six ounces but boy did it have a kick. It made your eyes water and your nose run. Who knows what they put in it.

smokeywolf
06-24-2014, 06:27 PM
We drink the cane sugar Pepsi or Coke. Wish they would go back to cane sugar on all drinks; not just sodas.

TXGunNut
06-24-2014, 08:33 PM
Once knew an old man named Harry Owens, somebody would spring for a round of soft drinks at Jim Wilson's gun shop and he always wanted a "short Coke". He always said it tasted better in the small bottle, must say I agreed with him.

a.squibload
06-24-2014, 08:49 PM
I remember Coke from when I was too little to pull the bottle out of the machine.
The caps hurt my widdle fingers.
Also Dr Pepper, but don't tell anybody.

PS: Garyshome: "...my casting is on hold for a while until I use what I cast last winter."
If it helps you can cast some up for me.

:grin:

GoodOlBoy
06-28-2014, 09:23 PM
Ah the good Coke! Like has been said I prefer real sugar sodas and old glass bottles. Don't even get me started with what Dr Pepper did to the Dublin Texas Dr Plant! I can remember riding to town with my great grandfather. He got a pack of smokes, and I got a glass bottle Orange Crush and a Banana Laughy Taffy. Then we would go squirrel huntin' when we got home. Good old days.....

GoodOlBoy

jroc
06-28-2014, 09:44 PM
10mmshooter Esso station? That's old school in itself.

RobS
06-28-2014, 10:24 PM
452374..........classic and old school

MO Fugga
06-28-2014, 11:33 PM
Monster Rehab ain't fizzy! :takinWiz:

Lead Bandit
07-13-2014, 12:03 AM
People say they can taste the difference. I doubt it, but possible. Its still a sugar. Coke will never use real cane sugar when they can use corn syrup for half the price.

44man
07-13-2014, 09:07 AM
Coke is best with a liter of rum added! :bigsmyl2: I was always a Pepsi kid. I really don't like pop any more, bad after tastes. Stuff will eat your teeth too.
Only two things will not hurt teeth is beer and cheese. Not a problem any more, most are plastic. [smilie=l: More hair in my ears now instead of my head, I blame the pop.

jonp
07-13-2014, 10:59 AM
What is Mexi-coke?

Real sugar. A few places here in NC carry it as well as Sprite made with cane sugar. It really does taste different. I first tried one years ago down south and when I bought my sweetie one several months ago here she went "wow"!

jonp
07-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Cool stuff! Though I do like the energy drinks since i work two jobs, 60+ hours a week.

I can balance an old jap four cylinder's carb rack, repair cloth on an airplane, start a Johnny popper by hand & now (kinda) cast my own boolits thanks to you guys!

Kicker is, I'm not even thirty! I get told a lot I was born forty years too late. Starting to believe them!

Thats what I was told when I was living in my hunting camp with no power and an outhouse and running a trap line.

Hardcast416taylor
07-13-2014, 11:27 AM
I recall a chemistry teacher at our local school back in the late `50`s hearing about the corrosive effects coke had on teeth. For X-Mass vacation he dropped a human tooth into a beaker that held about 4 oz. of coke out of a freshly purchased bottle. When school resumed about a week later there was definite erosion of the tooth in the beaker. I keep hearing of people pouring coke on rusty nuts on bolts and coming back several hours later and turn the nut off with only minor difficulty. Yes sir, it`s the real thing!Robert

dondiego
07-13-2014, 12:12 PM
Carbonic acid.

44man
07-13-2014, 01:03 PM
Drink beer!

JohnH
07-13-2014, 04:14 PM
..Coke in the small glass bottle and a bag of Lance peanuts dumped in, they have to be Lance peanuts :) now that is old school, fond memories of my Grand Dad doing that at the local Esso station many many moons ago. Soon as I read "Lance peanuts" I knew you was from Dixie

GoodOlBoy
07-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Don't forget Lance Cheese Puffs! Best with good pork barbque!

GoodOlBoy

30CalTy
07-13-2014, 06:00 PM
Cool photo