PDA

View Full Version : Pointed pellets

roysha
06-19-2014, 03:26 PM
Across the board, regardless of caliber or brand or model of gun, this style is the least accurate of all the pellets I have tried.

Since I only shoot springers, ( RWS, GAMO and FWB) with the exception of my old Silver Streak, which even prefers the Sheridan round nose over the old original pointed pellet, I was curious whether this was just me and my guns, a peculiarity of springers or something else.

GARD72977
06-19-2014, 05:41 PM
I shoot a Gamo Compact pistol that hits a whopping 385fps. I really increased the range for this pistol. Accuracy is pretty good with them. I have not tried any quality pointed pellets. I don't think they like to be pushed very fast. They may be a decent option for Co2 pistol also.

joesig
06-19-2014, 09:09 PM
My Sheridan liked the old Beeman Silver Jets. Then the Silver Bear and then Sheridan Diablo.

GhostHawk
06-19-2014, 09:30 PM
I have a Chinese B3 underlever spring gun that seems to like the beeman pointed pellets fairly well.
However it does slightly better with the crossman hunting domes.

The crossman hollow point premiers looked like a shotgun pattern. At 20 feet, it shoots into 3-4" circle, evenly distributed throughout.

The 1322 with shoulder stock however will take those same pellets and put 5 of them into one not very large or ragged hole. Bout half the size of a penny.

nagantguy
06-19-2014, 09:54 PM
They are priced right and seem to work fine in our stable of air guns which has grown now that .22 is extinct. Any how I'm talking about the crossman destroyer ex. The way the the"point" is inside the hollow reminds me of the federal hydra shocks. May be not as accurate as some of the high end pellets but minute of chipmunk all day with 3 different air poppers.

Larry Gibson
06-19-2014, 11:40 PM
Across the board, regardless of caliber or brand or model of gun, this style is the least accurate of all the pellets I have tried.

Since I only shoot springers, ( RWS, GAMO and FWB) with the exception of my old Silver Streak, which even prefers the Sheridan round nose over the old original pointed pellet, I was curious whether this was just me and my guns, a peculiarity of springers or something else.

Not sure if it is "a peculiarity of springs" since I only shoot springers also but I've done the "buy a sample pack of pellets" several times and always found it to be a general waste of time and money. Now I just get quality domed pellets if I'm shooting past 10 meters which I most often do. The may not give better accuracy at 10 meters than quality match WCs but the out shoot every thing else from 10 meters to max range of 50+ yards.

Larry Gibson

MT Chambers
06-20-2014, 12:12 AM
I have a Wolverine .303, a AA510 in .25 and a Daystate Huntsman in .22, and have never found an accurate ptd. pellet in these (they don't make them in .303), in fact I have not found an accurate hollowpoint, poly tip, or any other with the exception of the H&N extreme hunters in the .25. JSBs and Barracudas for me thanks.

HARRYMPOPE
06-20-2014, 12:16 AM
the pointed pellets have never shot for me either but Crosman HP 10.5 .177's and 14.33 HP .22 shoot tops in many of my springers.

HollowPoint
06-20-2014, 10:05 AM
I think I might have an explanation for those pointed pellets not working as good as some of the domed pellets but, what I don't have is enough knowledge of the technical jargon to make my explanation make any sense from a scientific point of view. And because those pointed pellets will shoot good is some guns, it may make my explanation make even less sense.

In your minds-eye, picture the profile of one of these pointed pellets as it's flying through the air. Because it has a pointed nose one would think that they would be more aerodynamic; and they are, until that air flow reaches the skirt of the pellet. Since the skirt is what stabilizes the pellet, even the slightest flaw in the skirt or the slightest amount of yaw it might impart in its flight will point that sharp nose in a different direction. This causes the wind resistance it was facing to make it veer off course; sometimes only slightly and other times enough to give us shotgun patterns.

Picture a BB flying through the air. Generally speaking, no matter how you spin it, the same curved face is facing the wind resistance it's fighting.

Now picture the domed profile of your most accurate domed pellet as it flies through the air. That domed face gives that pellet-type a little more leeway in the amount of yaw it can handle before it veers off course. Even with a less than perfectly formed skirt it can still stabilize itself enough (because of the spin that the barrel twist imparts) to give decent accuracy. The nose of domed pellets can yaw to some degree but it will be brought back in line by the drag that the skirt imparts. (all things being equal)

Of course, this is an over simplification of how I picture it in my mind. There are a host of other variables that could be causing pointed pellets to shoot like krap in a large number of conventional springer and PCPs alike.

Inevitably, a point can be made to counter what I've just stated by bringing up the subject of the flat nosed pellets but, NOT REALLY. If you picture in your mind, the profile of the flat nosed pellet we might get the false notion that the flat nose is even less aerodynamic than all the other pellets. Not so, because the wind resistance that stacks up on the nose of the flat-nose pellets actually creates a sort of invisible dome. not unlike the Ground-Effects-Kits on race cars.

Now, let the blood letting begin.

HollowPoint

NVScouter
06-20-2014, 04:49 PM
I agree they have always performed the worst for me. I've also shot piles of birds, rabbits, cats, squirrels, and a few fox, badger, coyote with my air rifles. I've never seen the penitration advantage claimed by the pointed pellet over a domed one. The alloy is too soft, the speed too low, and the mass too light to really be advantagous. Crossman Premiers in .22 have been my #1 killer for a few years now and if the skirt is good it'll kill anything out to 75yards easily.

MT Chambers
06-20-2014, 07:05 PM
The pellets that don't do well for me are being fired at over 900fps, and I can see them spiral through the air, I think that they cup the air and things go wrong from there, again these are either HP or pointed pellets, the round dome type like barracudas or JSBs are very accurate up to and beyond 1000fps.

HARRYMPOPE
06-20-2014, 07:28 PM
I did have some older Japanese made pointed Beemans that did very well in a FWB 127 though.That only shot low to mid 600's though.My 22 calibers with Crosman HP's shoot 780 fps max.About 90% of my shooting is kneeeling or ofhand so the $8 a tin Crosmans are fine.When i do bench them they often shoot 3/4" - 1/2" at 25 meters.JSB's only better this by a bit.

fastfire
06-20-2014, 09:38 PM
The Beeman Silver Jets shoot very well in my Beeman 20 cal HW 97 K. I have about 30 left, save them for rock chucks. @ 25yds they will go through a rock chuck's head. Really wish they still made them.
For all else use Beeman Field target special which last time I checked Airgun's of Arizona they were not listed.

grizzlyadams
06-21-2014, 06:51 AM
never had much luck with pointed in most guns either. domes fly straighter usually, and have just as much penetration for my needs.i use domes almost exclusively (other than wadcutters in 10m guns) all of my hunting is done with domes. as a couple have stated already, i think pointed work better in lower powered guns, but i dont see any advantage to them in guns over the 12fpe or so range