PDA

View Full Version : Camper round two

kfarm
06-18-2014, 10:51 PM
Now I am informed that we are going to the Grand Canyon. I'm now thinking, going to need a quite generator. The ones I have an 8kw and 15kw, either will wake the dead even at deer camp. Since y'all got so much more experience in travel than I do. Today's question is what brand would you recommend. Its got a 15k AC and 900 watt microwave. No I won't run both at once like I'm used to now with existing equipment. I think a 3.5 - 4kw would work and where would be the best place to get one. And can it be done at about $1000.
Carroll

kayak1
06-18-2014, 11:01 PM
I have a tinny Honda that I love, it doesn't use much in the way of gas and it's fairly quiet. I haven't used it camping (I normally camp out of my kayak in very remote locations). I just use it when the power goes out to keep my furnace and fridge running.

MT Gianni
06-18-2014, 11:12 PM
The more you spend the quieter you get. Honda rules the market for quiet.

RickinTN
06-18-2014, 11:26 PM
I have a friend who has a small Honda and it impressed me with how quiet it was. I'm thinking a couple of years ago when I saw it you could buy one for around $350 at Lowes. Not sure what the pricing would be today.
Rick

freebullet
06-18-2014, 11:41 PM
I would say if you already have a gen set you just need some modifications to that unit.

Standard small engine mufflers leave a lot to be desired and burn out fast. You can make a free flowing almost silent muffler if your handy with a welder. You can also buy and adapt (with reducers/fittings) slightly larger mufflers if you can't weld. You can also use header wrap to keep the heat flowing out the exhaust and insulate for sound. You can also line the compartment with sound dampening heat proof materials. You could probably make your current unit almost silent for less than 1k$.

kfarm
06-18-2014, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the replies. I tried to silence my 8kw general by welding on an adapter pipe on the existing muffler and use flex tube with a auto muffler. It did help some but it would scare to to hear the knocking and rattling the motor made. Even in a 3 sided box it would be way to noisy for a camp ground. Started looking at a honda 3000. Reviews say it will run the AC and is very quiet. I farmed and worked as an engineer never going anywhere no vacation for the last 45 years. Now all of a sudden she wants to travel. So, since she put up with me I'll take her travling. But its going to be comfortable, last time I was camping was in 1969 in RVN, didn't like it then darn sure I won't now.

Alvarez Kelly
06-19-2014, 12:12 AM
You've been given good advice. I sold my first generator at a big loss. It had less than 100 hours on it, but the Briggs and Stratton engine was so loud it was miserable to be around. I spent $1000 on a Honda powered 4kw generator and have been happy ever since.

smoked turkey
06-19-2014, 12:17 AM
kfarm I concur with the above post that Honda makes a very fine, quiet unit. Yes they are pricey, but like a lot of things, you get what you pay for. I believe the 3kw (could be 3.5kw-I don't remember the exact size) would do you nicely and start and run your ac unit. Just make sure the dealer guarantees you that it willl indeed start your ac. He might have a used one or a demo that he would allow you to try before buying. I think after 45 years you need to splurge, buy a good one and take her to the Grand Canyon! You both deserve it. I will say that you will probably be able to stay in rv campgrounds that have electrical hook ups, so a generator is not a must to be comfortable,

MaLar
06-19-2014, 12:19 AM
Placing a better muffler on a Generator was the way to go I thought!
If your gen is using a Briggs for power no muffler will help. I tried this and was shocked that it didn't help at all.
The engines are just noisy. If you decide to try, don't spend a lot of money. Try something and see for your self.
I placed a heavy welding glove over the muffler on mine and it made almost no difference.

LaMar

Bzcraig
06-19-2014, 01:19 AM
I think a 4kw gen will run your 15k a/c, I know it will 13.5. But it is true Honda has the quietest units in the market place. A genset of sufficient size will be pita to move around and keep secure unless you have a storage compartment big enough to stuff it in. When we were RVing in weather that we needed to use a/c we paid for hookups, when not necessary a 2k honda genset was perfect.

MaryB
06-19-2014, 01:30 AM
I have a 2700 watt Northstar with a Honda engine. I could sleep with it running on my deck 20 feet from my bed.

freebullet
06-19-2014, 10:22 AM
Attaching a new muffler to the old one ain't gunna do much. A welding glove ain't either. I've quieted lots of small engines down substantially. The can't do attitudes in this thread are not cool. Good luck.

kfarm
06-19-2014, 02:04 PM
Still looking and see champion has an inverter for abutu $800 I'd have to hear it run though. All in all I like the Yahama 3000 over the Honda 3000 just by reading reviews. Once I was around a Honda running in the bed of a pickup at a construction site at a hospital and didn't even know it was running. I did misspeak as the AC is 13.5 not 15btu.
In a side note I've read some post saying how bad this forum has gotten. I've been here a while now, check it several times a day and find that this has to be the best forum out there bar none. I don't post much, there is so much info to be gained just by reading talking is almost unnecessary. Thanks to all.

I want to edit to say I used to complain about spelling and grammar but since I've started using my nexus tablet. I can understand, spelling with the touch pad and this autocorrect its a wonder I get anything typed correctly.

06-19-2014, 05:17 PM
Off topic, but... Don't pass up a trip on the Grand Canyon Railway. It leaves from Williams, takes you to the Grand Canyon Village and back, with lunch in between and a surprise near the end. It's a chance to relax, and enjoy the varied scenery and the amusing on-board entertainment.

gkainz
06-19-2014, 05:18 PM
I have a Honda 2000i ... quiet little bugger but it won't run my a/c ... but I don't need a/c very often here in CO. I have a hard start capacitor that I have yet to install ... I've heard mixed results.

bear67
06-19-2014, 07:03 PM
I have the Yahama 3.5 kw quiet model and it does well running our RV. If I don't think we will need the AC I take a cheap Chinese Honda knockoff 1200 W that I paid $99 for to run tools in areas without power. It is light, quiet and keeps the batteries charged and we run it for a few hours and turn it off. I did not pick the Yahama over the Honda for any reason, I just picked it up used for a song. My RV dealer friend has a quiet diesel generator (can't remember the brand) that I would look at since I have a diesel nurse tank on my tow vehicle.

Duckiller
06-19-2014, 07:13 PM
Two Honda 2000 tied together with Honda wiring should run your A/C. From memory the Honda 3000 is 2800watts continous and the 2000 is 1800watts continous.

Duckiller
06-19-2014, 07:15 PM
New Honda 2000 is approximately $1200. for one that is California legal. Less, but not much, in the rest of the US.

Bullshop Junior
06-19-2014, 07:17 PM
Honda rules the generator market.

Finster101
06-19-2014, 07:27 PM
The Honda 2000 is about $900.00 here. I have one and love it. I don't have a camper but we get these things called hurricanes. I have on occasion been without power for a couple of weeks at a time. With a cord I made up to back feed the house I can kill my 220v and the main and it will allow me to run both my refrigerators and use my light switches like a civilized person. As long as I do not have too many things on at once there is no problem. It sips gas and you barely hear it run. Yeah, I'm happy with it.

starmac
06-19-2014, 11:58 PM
If you can find the guy that stole my honda 4000 last winter, you can have it for one cast boolit. I would even furnish the boolit. lol

dagger dog
06-20-2014, 05:42 PM
Get 2, 2000 I Honda units they make a kit for them to work in tandem when you need the kick to start an A/C unit, then when the A/C is not needed you just run the one to keep the battery charged.

Also get a hot start kit for your rooftop A/C it's an extra capacitor to help kick start the compressor, which are notorious about not starting with minimum amperage, especially when hot.

I tried to quiet down an industrial generator had an 18" automotive muffler, with a small scooter muffler attached to that 18", it KINDA quieted the exhaust but did nothing for the vibration of all the sheet metal noise and the frame of the unit vibrating across the gravel.

Most federal and state camp grounds have the 68 decibel @ 20' as a base line for noise, and is especially enforced after dark.

The Honda's are well below the regulation numbers. The 3000 series are also nice but the dual 2000's are the way to go if you got the $$.

DeanWinchester
06-20-2014, 06:19 PM
Honda rules the generator market.

Honda rules the small internal combustion engine market, no matter what is attached to it.

Bullshop Junior
06-20-2014, 06:26 PM
I prefer yamaha dirtbikes but Hondas are good too.