PDA

View Full Version : Pistol bullets vs. revolver bullets

BAGTIC
01-17-2008, 07:54 PM
I have noticed that most pistol bullet designs have a single lube groove while most revolver bullets have multiple lube grooves.

As modern pistols operate at revolver pressures and velocities, or higher, does any one have an explanation other than tradition?

Why would a revolver need more grooves? For that matter when using a dip/tumble type lube that covers the entire bearing surface are lube grooves really that important?

miestro_jerry
01-17-2008, 08:02 PM
The extra groove on my Boolits is for the crimp for my case on my revolver rounds. I crimp my revolver rounds and taper crimp my semi-auto rounds.

Jerry

HORNET
01-17-2008, 08:26 PM
I believe that a lot of it is tradition and also that most of the designs for both were done a long time ago when lubes were not as effective. There is also a factor of bearing length to consider. Most (but not all) designs for revolters are for heavier and longer boolits than for pissolas of the same bore diameter. The revolters frequently also ran higher velocities and pressures which also required more lube capacity. The ability to roll crimp for the wheelguns is also a factor. On the other hand, you can get 200 gr SW's for the .45 both ways and both work very well indeed. You pays your money and you gets your choice.

runfiverun
01-17-2008, 10:06 PM
alot of it had to do with the blow-out of lube at the cylinder- gap