PDA

View Full Version : painting a hurricane lamp globe.

krag35
06-18-2014, 05:23 PM
I have a couple Deitz hurricane lamps. I'm thinking of painting one of the globes with silver or chrome paint to use as a reflector, and to keep the light from shining back at me.
Does anyone have any experience doing this? How about with a Coleman gas lantern. I could "silver" one side like a mirror.
Thanks

Zymurgy50
06-18-2014, 07:55 PM
When I still used gas fired coleman's I would wrap aluminum foil around half of the glass, going from top to bottom. Easy enough fix to not get "blinded by the light" when fishing from a smaller rowboat.

I would look at high temperature automotive paint for a silver or chrome engine block paint.

dbosman
06-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Dietz sells red and blue globes for both the round and pear shaped globes. They have or had a metal glare shield for the round globes.

I'd use heavy duty aluminum foil shaped to the outside of the globe and folded over the top and bottom. Nothing is going to be especially reflective retro-fitted to a lantern.
If you have access to a chem lab, some use really heavy duty foil to cover glassware to be sterilized.

bangerjim
06-18-2014, 08:58 PM
Paint will not reflect like a metallized surface.......at all! Use aluminum foil as suggested.

banger

Blacksmith
06-19-2014, 10:40 PM
https://www.lehmans.com/p-548-buggy-carriage-oil-lantern.aspx