PDA

View Full Version : Paypal scam

Blammer
01-17-2008, 06:02 PM
OK, I never used paypal and never even came close to signing up.

I just received an email stating that my account would be suspended if I didn't update some personal information.

Well that is BS!

I know a lot of you use this so be careful!

400cor-bon
01-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Plus they steal 3% of any incoming money.
They are a bunch of anti-gun robber barons IMHO.
they will not transfer funds for guns, ammunition or components:(

Google Paypal+anitgun and you get endless stories of how they are antigun

VTDW
01-17-2008, 06:45 PM
That scam comes around fairly regularly. Probably someone in Nigeria or someplace like that.

Dave

Scrounger
01-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Blammer, it is anti-PayPal people who are sending out those emails, they've been doing it for years. I've gotten dozens of them over the years. I've been using PayPal for at least six years and I've never had any trouble with them. Using them means I've never had a money order in an envelope get lost, or a seller get antsy because it took two weeks for payment to get there. I have half a dozen items in a box near my computer waiting while letters slowly (and hopefully) find their way to me. PayPal really doesn't know what the article you just bought or sold is unless you send an email telling them about it; all they know is dollars and cents. And I'll gladly give up the 3% to get the transaction over with without wondering IF the buyer is going to pay and IF and WHEN his letter might get here.

racepres
01-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Wish the Credit Card companies would only take 3% of all our credit card transactions!!!! They charge up to 6 for some of the payments we receive!!! MV

Wicky
01-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Blammer, I'm with Scrounger on this. I have been using PayPal for about 4 years now and never had a problem. They also refunded money when some clown decided he had my dollars and diddn't need to send the item. I have had projectiles and cases purchased through ebay and payed by PayPal with no problems. I just delete any emails asking for personal detail updates 'cause you know it's a scam.:Fire:

rmb721
01-17-2008, 08:53 PM
Blammer: That is someone trying to steal your identity. If you have a Pay-pal account, they will address you by your name when they contact you. They know who you are. If you are addressed by "pay-pal customer", it is NOT pay-pal.

Blammer
01-17-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm not argueing about for or against pay pal! I don't care.

What I do care about is someone trying to scam me to get my personal information!

If I used paypal and then got this "phony email" and then gave out my personal info..

I was just giving a heads up to someone or something trying to scam some one using the guies of "paypal".

Same as if my bank sent me an email saying I needed to update my personal info. It's BS, as my bank would never do that.

Blammer
01-17-2008, 08:59 PM
Yes they did NOT use my name... How could they? I never even signed up for paypal....

obviously a scam based on what I do and don't use.

singleshotbuff
01-17-2008, 09:14 PM
PayPal got me for over $700.00 a couple years ago for Nike tennis shoes that I never bought. As soon as I realized the false transaction, I called PayPal and was told that everything would be fine, it was fruad and they would correct it. No reason to notify my bank. Two days later, my bank account was in the red, but I had no fear, PayPal said they would make it right.

Uh-huh, long story short on subsequent calls to PayPal I was informed that the employee that told me things would be taken care of was fired, and that they didn't intend to do anything about the problem. I contacted the Attorney General of the state that they are located in (which state escapes me at the moment, I think it was out west somewhere), and the Attorney Generals office took information and statements from me on a couple of occassions. I was informed by that states AG that they had had enough complaints against PayPal that they were investigating the company, in preperation for legal action.

This has been two years ago (roughly) and I'm still out $700+, and I still get a letter from that AG office every six months or so informing that the investigation is ongoing and I wil be informed of their finding.

If you use PayPal, that's your choice, just be aware of who you are in bed with.

SSB