PDA

View Full Version : sante fe hawken

johnson1942
06-18-2014, 03:11 PM
i see pedersoli is offering a sante fe hawken in .50 cal shallow groove 1/24 twist. what a paperpatch gun that would make. it would have to shoot at least a 600 grain bullet to be accurate and could even shoot a 700 grain bullet. the cresent moon butt plate would have to be delt with. a slip over leather butt cover would have to be a must. one could fill the cresent part with a foam cut out and use a shotgun style padded leather butt plate cover. that gun could take anything in north america and even alaska.

Nobade
06-19-2014, 08:03 AM
And I'd be looking at epoxy bedding the barrel and very carefully looking at the grain flow of the wood before using it like that....

-Nobade

johnson1942
06-19-2014, 10:59 AM
nobade, you made a good point. i custom built my own with a 1/23 twist. mine has a shot gun butt plate and is very solid and more wood than the sante fe. they should have made it about a 1/28 twist or 1/30 twist so around a 500 gran bullet could have been used. its a real nice gun but only for a person who knows how to make it manageable so it wont come apart. i put glued pins in mine at points i thought that the grain of the wood wouldnt stand the vibration when it went off. i made them look like decorations or covered them up with a mother of pearl dot. thanks for bringing up that point, you should consult pedersoli.