PDA

View Full Version : What To Do?

Mod42
06-17-2014, 08:36 PM
I am in a position that has caused me to understand that I am approaching the end of my life, maybe not soon, but it is coming. During my life i have devoted many years and a great deal of my financial resources to acquiring guns and reloading equipment. I can honestly say that I have most of the guns that I want (although we never get too many), and I do not know what to do with them before I die. The problem is that I have an emotional attachment to just about every gun that I own. I have a model 42 Winchester that my Grandfather got for me when I was about 8 years old, paid $11.00 for it. I have a Colt Sauer that I just had to have about 20 years ago, put way to much time and money into acquiring it. I have a Contender that my brother and I bought for my father many years ago. I have always had a passion for model 12 Winchester's, I have gathered 6 of them over the years. I have a Savage 99 with a custom maple stock that was my fathers, I was with him when he took it to a gunsmith to get the stock made, I was also with him when he missed a buck because the gun would not fire. This caused him to sell the gun, 3 times! And he bought it back every time. I have two Crack Shots that were the first guns that my brother and I had when we were very young, by the way my brother died a year ago. I have a Python that almost cost me a marriage, and the list goes on.......

Now I find myself at sixty years old with Renal Cell Cancer. I lost a kidney a year ago, and now I have tumors in my lungs. It has caused me to understand that I have no plan for things that are very important to me, such as where do my guns go? I have three children, but they have zero interest in guns. If they get them, the guns will be for sale in about two minutes, and they will be sold in a day for whatever price the kids can get. My best friend is a gun nut, but he is older that I am.

So that is my problem, I have about thirty guns, and forty years worth of equipment to support them, and I do not know how to pass them on!!

bruce

MrWolf
06-17-2014, 08:53 PM
First, I am so sorry for the lousy news. I know with our hobby (obsession), it matters more to me that my prized possessions go where they will be appreciated by someone like myself than to be sold off. My daughter wants nothing to do with guns and I hope my son will get the bug when he gets older. I know with my small collection, if money was not a major concern that it go to someone else with the bug, possibly someone without the means but the desire. I feel terrible as you are not that much older than me and I hope I have a bunch of good years ahead of me. God bless and take care.

Ron

500MAG
06-17-2014, 09:07 PM
Really sad to here and my prayers are with you. If you still get time to go to the range, maybe you can find a young apprentice that you can pass the love of reloading on to. If he is at the range, you already know he likes guns. Maybe a young guy at church with a young family that has always wanted but can't afford it yet. I know I have a few at my church that want me to teach them.

C. Latch
06-17-2014, 09:14 PM
I'm sorry to hear about the cancer.

If your kids aren't into guns, sell the stupid things and spend the money on or with your kids. I know that sounds a bit harsh, but I think that on your dying day you'd look back and consider it a wise move.

GhostHawk
06-17-2014, 09:18 PM
Grandchildren?

If not family, then spread them like apple seeds. One here, one there, reloading gear to a son of a friend, or someone young.

Pass it on.

I suspect for you it is no longer about the money, investment, etc. It is more about the emotional attachment and sense of history. Take the time to write up a short history of the gun and how it came to you, so that story can be passed on. A nice old gun with ammo, perhaps brass, or dies with a short history to someone just getting buy, someone young just starting out. Plant your seeds while you can, give freely.

I know I am lucky, I have a grandson and grandaughter now, I can leave my treasures with their mom with the understanding that they would get it when they are old enough to appreciate it. They are only 1 and 2 now, but time flys. Maybe I'll be lucky and be able to teach them to fish, and shoot. That is in HIS hands.

Mod42
06-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Thanks for he kind words, but please understand that I have no fear of death, I know where I will spend eternity, and I have no plans of leaving anytime soon.

I would love to find a a young person to mentor, but the town that I live in is only five hundred people. The rifle range here is a great range, up to 400 yard targets. But again it is a small town, most days you can have to range all to yourself, or on a good day there will be another crusty old coot such as myself.

Selling the guns is an option, but it would be a lot like selling my Lab that has become my best friend!

41 mag fan
06-17-2014, 09:37 PM
Do what you feel is the best thing to do in your and your families interest...and what makes you happy.

jcwit
06-17-2014, 09:39 PM
Around here the only way to go for a profit would be an auction.

freebullet
06-17-2014, 09:44 PM
I'm sorry your in this situation. I would explain the history of a few key items to family and see if they would have an interest in KEEPING (not selling) a few as family heirlooms. The significance of which they may not fully
nunderstand unless you explain it in detail.

The rest I would donate or sell. If your not concerned with the kids getting the monetary value consider donating them to the NRA. You could lottery donate a few here on the board. You could do a site benifit auction with a few. At least they would benefit folks that shoot and go to shooters.

Well wishes and prayers sent for you.

blademasterii
06-17-2014, 10:17 PM
I am with the majority of the board, spend your time finding someone who will cherish and love them like you do and have. I am fortunate to have a niece that loves them and will likely end up with my fairly significant collection. A few of them will be keepsakes from my father and his, but most will be what I loved and collected. Spend some time trying to find that younger collector that will cherish them like you do. You will rest easy knowing you have left your collection in the hands of someone who respects it and wants to pass on the history as well as the guns. They do not have to go before you do. Enjoy them to the fullest to the latest and then pass them on. If you can't find someone you like, trust and can pass on history to, i'm sure the board can help you find a deserving individual. As far as i'm concerned if relatives can't appreciate the love, passion and history of our collections, they don't deserve the finances of them either. If you can't understand that I spent 10 years saving, planning, learning and searching for some of my collection you don't deserve the money they might bring. I would rather give a father of 3 with two jobs my entire collection with all loading accessories than have a child or sibling sell it so they can buy a *** car or go on a worthless vacation. We pour a great deal of ourselves into what we collect. That needs to be passed on to someone that can do the same. Someone that every time they pick up one of ours remembers our history and the history of the piece as well. I hope that I can instill that in my niece as well as the love of our sport.

MaryB
06-17-2014, 10:35 PM
One of my nephews will get everything with the instruction to share with any other nieces and nephews who are interested at the time. My dad's 16 gauge Kyle will keep, it is engraved with Papa Brown(Kyles name for my dad) and a picture of a pheasant.

Stonecrusher
06-17-2014, 10:40 PM
If not family, then spread them like apple seeds. One here, one there, reloading gear to a son of a friend, or someone young.

Pass it on.

I suspect for you it is no longer about the money, investment, etc. It is more about the emotional attachment and sense of history. Take the time to write up a short history of the gun and how it came to you, so that story can be passed on. A nice old gun with ammo, perhaps brass, or dies with a short history to someone just getting buy, someone young just starting out. Plant your seeds while you can, give freely.

Always something to think about. I am not yet fifty, but the wife and I have never had children and I know the wife will never use the casting, reloading gear. She likes guns but not like me. Money isn't the issue, best to get the stuff to someone who will appreciate it and use it. If you can bring another into the fold, so much the better.

Bullshop Junior
06-17-2014, 10:45 PM
That is quite a issue. Very hard to deal with. I wish you all the very best.

aspangler
06-17-2014, 10:47 PM
I am fortunate in that my daughter likes and respect firearms. Three are in my will to go to friends, the rest go to her. She is 34 and she still has the 22 rifle I bought for her 9th Christmas.
My prayers go out to you in this time of trouble. You mentioned that you know where you will spend eternity, so I will leave you in the Great Physician's hands.

runfiverun
06-17-2014, 11:09 PM
you could hang at the range a bit and take one with you each time.
as you talk with someone there and decide you can relate the story of each gun to them....... present it to them.
at least you'll know they will take care of and use it.
finding a home for each one might be just "as good" as finding each one to bring into your home was.

Big Boomer
06-17-2014, 11:37 PM
Mod42: I'm 74 years "young" and can relate somewhat to your dilemma. I've survived thyroid cancer and prostate cancer ... so far. Fortunately, I have a son who shares my enthusiasm for the shooting sports, though his career has taken him far away from my locale and his spare time is at a minimum. Still, all the equipment and lead will be his when the time comes for me to make my exit from this earthly life. God bless. You are on my prayer list. Big Boomer

dh2
06-18-2014, 12:01 AM
I am sad to hear of your condition, it is good to hear that you know where you are going after life on this earth is over.
I too have spent many years building my collection, parts of it mean more than money, years ago I met a friend that is no longer with us, that was a local gunsmith and like me retired mil. and at his shop I learned how to go from a old 98 mauser action to a wonderful custom rifle I spent time with him and learned a lot have built more since that .338-06 but there will never be a dollar price on it in my life time, I would give it to some one who would love it and may never be able to have a custom elk rifle, but they would have to love it as I do. even the memory's of taking it from a box of parts to the rifle I love with Mike will never come again.

MBTcustom
06-18-2014, 01:45 AM
Tough thoughts you're having there.
If I were you, I would keep in mind that
A. Once you are gone, you're not going to care what happens to this stuff and
B. You very well may have quite a few years left.
I would pray for opportunities to share, and keep your eye's peeled for such, and in the mean time enjoy those things.

smokeywolf
06-18-2014, 05:38 AM
You might want to do a little research into youth shooting organizations. Don't know if any of those organizations actually own firearms for use as loaners, but propagating the sport of shooting among youngsters and the responsibility and maturity that it cultivates, may offer you a sense of fulfillment or satisfaction.

smokeywolf

Wayne Smith
06-18-2014, 07:35 AM
You also have a unique opportunity to research extended family ties. Your grandfather is other people's grandfather, too, most likely. I have largely lost touch with my cousins and don't know their children at all. I don't know my brother's children, them all being out west and us here on the east coast. Look beyound your immediate circle and see what you find.

Hickory
06-18-2014, 08:06 AM
A friend had a large gun collection, and knew he was dying, called a meeting of 6-7 friends and family who had an interest in shooting, hunting or guns.
He had a (pull-a-number-out-of-a-hat) lottery, with numbers 1 through what-ever.
Number 1 got first choice of one of his guns, #2 got second choice and so on.
They had to sign an agreement that they would not sell or give away the gun for 10 years after he died. This agreement was added to his will as was who was to get what.
I don't know if I'd do this, but I thought it was a different way of disposing of your goods.

tigweldit
06-18-2014, 08:16 AM
Sell what you can emotionally part with and enjoy the money. Will (donate) the rest to the NRA. That way you will know that they won't be melted down after you pass on to the next life.

Cornbread
06-18-2014, 01:08 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your cancer. I'm only 39 and I have thought about these things already as well. I had a lot of my close friends die when we were Marines so I know how short life can be.

Guns in my family skipped a generation. My Granny loved her guns and shot the barrels right out of some of them. My Dad and my uncle have almost no interest in guns whatsoever. Myself I totally identify with Granny. I shoot all the time, I even have a small range at my house so I can reload, then walk out the door of my shop and test it. I am just getting into casting my own but reloading I have been doing since I was a young teen. All that said, I ended up with Granny's guns. She left them to my aunt because she had no idea what to do with them and was dying from cancer. My aunt has zero interest in guns and she kept them in a closet until I was old enough to shoot them and then recognizing my interest in guns she gave them to my Dad. When I got old enough to own guns not just shoot them my Dad passed them down to me. I re-barreled one of them and re-blued some of the others but they all still shoot like gang busters.

My Granny was a shoot every day kind of lady who had this trick where she would have the kids blindfold her, then she would turn her back to the yard and have one of them go out and place a bottle down anywhere within 100 yards or so of the porch, put their face by it and yell "Granny the bottle is right here". Then they all had to be quiet and come back up on the porch. Once they were back on the porch she would turn around still blindfolded and shoot the bottle. She almost always got it on the first shot. Never seen anyone before or since who can shoot blind at a remembered sound location and hit their target. She was a cool lady for sure. Tough as nails and a really wonderful person.

Long story short I'm proud to have her guns. Her .32 Win special lever action is one of the first guns I will be casting bullets for once I get everything I need to start casting my own. I think she would love that.

Thankfully all four of my kids (ages 5 - 14) and my wife love shooting so my guns will go divided up to them.

So I'm living proof that just because your kids aren't into guns it doesn't mean your grand-kids or grand nieces and grand nephews etc. might not love to make you proud with their continued use of your guns. Chances are their kids might be into them as well like my kids are and after that skipped generation they will continue on in your family. Same exact thing happened to my best friend from the Marines. His mom's family had no interest in guns but he does so he got all his grandpas guns when his grandpa passed away.

Besides for the spectacularly suck-worthy fact that you have cancer your story is really interesting. I hope you will keep us posted with what you end up doing with your guns and equipment. It will be cool to see this story unfold and hopefully the cancer part of it has a happy ending too.

Joe504
06-18-2014, 01:23 PM
I second the thought of researching extended family. Another consideration, record a history of each peice. Include a picture of each rifle/pistol on its own history, maybe load data for it, and some targets of how it shot. I have one of my grand pas rifles, it's about the only thing my family has of his. I do not shoot it, but I love to take it out on occasion, oil it, and day dream about what that rifle knows about my family.

You could take your little mini histories, place them on cheap thumb drives, and give one to each of your kids. Maybe reading some of it will spark an interest in them, or another relative.

If the guns go to someone else, they will probably deeply appreciate the history of that gun.

Just a thought.

doc1876
06-18-2014, 04:02 PM
lots of good ideas here, friends, numbers out of a hat, NRA. Is there a large town nearby with a good gun club you could donate some of them to? They could be caretakers of them, and even pass some along to up and coming shooters with certain stipulations so as to not make a lot of money off of them. I am glad I won't have to have this decision. my son is gun friendly, and my grandson is, well, he is young, but I am sure he will be interested.
Whatever your decision is, Have a great journey.

jlucke69
06-18-2014, 05:49 PM
I'm totally adoptable, self sufficient, and love guns!

But on a more serious note, I received guns from my grand parents because my mom and dad are not shooters. I have several I would not sell because of the history attached to them. This history is in the form of a letter about the gun and who it belonged to. I am with others about checking with extended family first. If not, I would still include a letter with the history of the gun and either sell them for money to spend on family, or donate them to others you know will enjoy them. I wish you the luck in finding the right decision for you.

shooter93
06-18-2014, 07:36 PM
Well...the first thing you do is fool all the doctors and hang around for another 40 or 50 years. We were not able to have children and nieces, nephews ,brothers, sister etc. have zero interest in shooting. It is so much a part of my life no just for the sheer joy I receive from it but what firearms represent to me. The preservation of this Republic. I have a number of very high end firearms and it's always been a concern to me what will happen to them. I have a very trusted friend who feels the same as I do and he's quite a bit younger than I am. I told him he gets the works and I EXPECT him to keep the jewels...the engraved guns and such. He will sell the rest for their true value and see my wife gets the proceeds. He will do this with the loading equipment too. The massive Library I've acquired is his too. His responsibility in all of this is he must also find such a friend in his lifetime to further pass them on. Be active at the range when you can. Keep an eye out for a very enthusiastic young shooter and you may just find the answer to your dilemma. Best of luck to you.

Mod42
06-18-2014, 08:48 PM
Lots of really good thoughts here, some great ideas, and some other ideas. Adopting someone at our range will not work, just not enough of the right type people using the range. Most of the users are from another state (we have a great range, just not a lot of local people). My extended family is very small, and mostly very wealthy, ever hear of Jack Links beef jerky? He is the only 1st cousin that I have. I had thought about leaving some of the guns to the WI Hunter ED Program, this is my 21st year of instructing. The problem is that the DNR has finally gotten a good supply of much better training guns than I could provide.

I believe that the most thought provoking comment was made by goodsteel, after I am gone I will not care where the guns are. He is exactly correct, and I sometimes worry that I may be putting too much thought, into some that really doesn't matter. If you know Jesus Christ you will know what this means!

bruce

Battis
06-18-2014, 09:00 PM
What would I do? I know what I did when I got some really bad news - I started buying more guns. If there are guns that you've wanted, but don't have, go buy them and shoot the heck out of them (or just fondle them). Our guns will outlive us all.
In 2002, they gave me a 60-40 chance of living 5 years (cancer). 12 years later I'm considered "cured." And I have a lot of guns, from 1842 to "modern."
Good luck.

Cornbread
06-18-2014, 11:40 PM
Mod42 I should mention they gave my Granny 3 - 6 months to live when she received her diagnosis of cancer of the everything. She lived 26 years after that. So God willing you might have a lot more time than you think.

Goodsteel is right when you are in heaven you won't care a bit what happened to your guns but you made an investment in your own happiness with them and hopefully you find somebody worthy to pass that happiness along to as well.

If you can't pass them on or don't want to, maybe you could sell them to people you know would take good care of them and use them the way you would want them used? Same for your reloading equipment. I know many folks who would jump at the chance to buy some good gear and give it a great home that you could be proud of where it went to but I'd hold off on the selling idea until there is no other option you feel you would go with. That way you get the max out of your time with your guns and gear. Nothing wrong with being passionate about the shooting sports you enjoy. My Granny was a strong Christian woman with whom the Lord always came first but that didn't stop her from enjoying the heck out of her guns :)

Also if you want to read something inspiring, my friend Sara and her family have kept this blog up through her Dad's cancer journey. He was given 18 months to live over 3 years ago now and he is still going strong, read the entries from first to most recent: http://sewalls.wordpress.com/

herb101
06-18-2014, 11:54 PM
Find a 4h group that has shooting sport in your state.