PDA

View Full Version : Where do people in SE Ky and NE Tn buy their reloading/shooting stuff?

C. Latch
06-17-2014, 06:47 PM
Hey folks,

My family just moved from MS to TN. Scott county, to be specific.

Where (within ~50 miles of here?) do people buy guns, ammo, reloading stuff, etc?

Decent gun ranges?
Any leads on hunting clubs in need of members?

We have a place to shoot here at our house, but I'm looking to see what's out there. It's a really neat area and there's a lot to explore but it's going to take a while to find my way around.

Big Boomer
06-17-2014, 11:43 PM
Midsouth Shooters Supply, 770 Economy Drive, Clarksville, TN 800-272-3000. Don't know how far you might be for Clarksville, but they have treated me fine.

I recently order several thousand small pistol and small rifle primers at a very good price, so that made the hazmat fees more bearable. Big Boomer

C. Latch
06-18-2014, 07:19 AM
Do they have an actual store? I've ordered from them before, online.

I used to to buy online from wideners and natchezss but natchezss won't sell to tn residents and anywhere you buy online from within tn they want sales tax. Sorta kills the incentive to buy online .

RickinTN
06-18-2014, 08:17 AM
You can pick up from Midsouth, but I'm not sure they actually have a store. Call ahead and they will have your order ready. Gamaliel Shooters Supply in Gamaliel, Ky may be a little closer for you, and they have a nice store and usually good stock.
Rick

C. Latch
06-18-2014, 08:28 AM
Has anyone ever shot at the apple tree range in mccreary county ky?

Dorf
06-18-2014, 09:09 AM
+1 for Midsouth in Clarksville. Also there is a Reloaders Supply in Richmond, KY (I haven't ben in there--Yet, but I am told that they have a good slelection or powder, bullets and primers.) In Corbin, there is Bacon Creek Pawn shop that has primers, some brass and powder for decent prices and there is another on Rt. 25 (either Laurel or Southern Outdoors-- I forget which) next to the Honda bike dealership, which has a good selection of powder, primers and bullets as well as tools (presses, dies and "do-dads").If you don't mind the drive to Lexington, there is Sportsman's
Warehouse, near the Hamburg Mall (don't let "Momma" out with a credit card!). Hope this helps--Stan

C. Latch
06-18-2014, 09:14 AM
Corbin's not an unreasonable drive, for a Saturday, maybe. I'll have to check that out.

I'm not hurting on powders, but there are a couple of bullets I'd like to stock up on, and a couple of powders I'd try if I had the chance; before I moved here I was close to a pretty good reloading store, and I miss it already. I liked just stopping in to see what they had.

gsdelong
06-18-2014, 02:54 PM
I have shot at apple tree range, while driving up 27 I believe. It is a NAtional Forest Range that is fairly primative with a simple lean to over the bench. There are at least three ranges on that stech of 27 as I recall. Great camping also. I had a great walkin site on a hillside over looking a creek that was pretty cool. If you get a forest service map there is plenty to keep you busy around there.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/dbnf/recreation/otheractivities/recarea/?recid=39830&actid=106

dbosman
06-18-2014, 08:53 PM
From https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/FAQ#faq8

Can I come shop and pick up orders? We do not have a store or showroom. Orders placed in advance may be picked up to avoid shipping charges. These orders need to be placed with an operator at 1-800-272-3000. Pickup hours are 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM CST, Monday through Friday. All pickup orders will be charged Tennessee state sales tax unless we have your tax certificate on file.

Elkins45
06-18-2014, 09:08 PM
+1 for Midsouth in Clarksville. Also there is a Reloaders Supply in Richmond, KY (I haven't ben in there--Yet, but I am told that they have a good slelection or powder, bullets and primers.) In Corbin, there is Bacon Creek Pawn shop that has primers, some brass and powder for decent prices and there is another on Rt. 25 (either Laurel or Southern Outdoors-- I forget which) next to the Honda bike dealership, which has a good selection of powder, primers and bullets as well as tools (presses, dies and "do-dads").If you don't mind the drive to Lexington, there is Sportsman's
Warehouse, near the Hamburg Mall (don't let "Momma" out with a credit card!). Hope this helps--Stan

I've been to the place in Richmond and the place on 25 in Corbin. The Richmond guy actually has 1lb bottles of Unique and Red Dot on the shelf right now. Most of his stuff is Lee, but he seems to have about everything they make. He also has a couple of NOE molds in stock and it's the only place I've ever seen a lubrizer on the shelf.

I've only been to the Corbin place once (a few weeks ago) and they are more than just reloading stuff. They are guns, hunting and fishing too. I didn't buy anything while I was there, but that's only because I was liking for pistol powder. They had a decent selection of stuff but not as extensive as the Richmond place that is just a reloading shop.

beagle
06-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Ranges... Bluegrass Sportsman's League (pricey) in Wilmore. Then, Anderson County outside of Lawrenceburg. Boyle County Sportsman's Club at Junction City.

Indoor Ranges..Bud's in Lexington.

Shooting Supplies...Order from Midsouth or Gamaliel's. Local. Bud's in Lexington, Sportsman's warehouse in Lex and Firearms and Archery in Lex. Keene's Depot in Bardstown. All of these are kinda iffy right now because of the shortage.

Got to kinda shop around here in this area and take what you find./beagle

C. Latch
06-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Buds gun shop.... Forgot about them. Oh my. That could get expensive.

Elkins45
06-19-2014, 01:48 PM
Buds gun shop.... Forgot about them. Oh my. That could get expensive.

Not if you're shopping for reloading supplies. They don't carry them.

C. Latch
06-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Not if you're shopping for reloading supplies. They don't carry them.

They carry guns, though.....lots of them, from what I understand.

Elkins45
06-19-2014, 03:02 PM
Yes, yes they do.

if you can't control yourself in Buds then spare yourself and don't ever go to Whittaker's outside Owensboro. He has about 6000 guns under one roof.

Whittaker's plus Moonlite BBQ makes a pretty good road trip once a year...if you're strong enough. :)

C. Latch
06-19-2014, 03:25 PM
Six thousand under one roof.

I'll save that for when dad comes to visit. Him and I like to sneak off and go to places like that every now and then. :)

mtnman31
06-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Don't forget Wideners in Johnson City, TN. Not sure how far that is from you. They don't have a show room, but you can place an order an pick it up. I've bought lots of reloading components and powder from them, competitive pricing.
http://www.wideners.com.
Refer to the "about" page for details on local pick up.

C. Latch
06-19-2014, 09:55 PM
Don't forget Wideners in Johnson City, TN. Not sure how far that is from you. They don't have a show room, but you can place an order an pick it up. I've bought lots of reloading components and powder from them, competitive pricing.
http://www.wideners.com.
Refer to the "about" page for details on local pick up.

I used to buy from them fairly often, but I don't think they have a storefront, and Johnson City is a pretty good drive from me.

Their steel targets are great, though.

wv109323
06-19-2014, 10:20 PM
Kettlefoot Rod and Gun Club is in Bristol. They have trap, action pistol and High Power rifle.

gew98
06-20-2014, 10:05 AM
Yes, yes they do.

if you can't control yourself in Buds then spare yourself and don't ever go to Whittaker's outside Owensboro. He has about 6000 guns under one roof.

Whittaker's plus Moonlite BBQ makes a pretty good road trip once a year...if you're strong enough. :)

Whittakers is low on almost any pistol related reloading components and most popular cal bullets presently. There is Wideners in Johnsonville TN for bulk surplus powders and bullets - they have a website. https://www.wideners.com/itemview.cfm?dir=278%7c284

And jeff bartlett in owensboro too http://www.gibrass.com/

And an old reliable in Kansas http://powdervalleyinc.com/

Taylor
06-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Do they have an actual store? I've ordered from them before, online.

I used to to buy online from wideners and natchezss but natchezss won't sell to tn residents and anywhere you buy online from within tn they want sales tax. Sorta kills the incentive to buy online .
Midsouth does not have an actual walk in store,however,Jim told me a few months ago they were considering buying the vacant store next door to open a retail store.Haven't heard anything else on the matter.

C. Latch
06-20-2014, 08:44 PM
Midsouth does not have an actual walk in store,however,Jim told me a few months ago they were considering buying the vacant store next door to open a retail store.Haven't heard anything else on the matter.

Many years ago I spent several months working on a project in the Clarksville area and I stayed within spitting distance of them for several nights per week, for several months. I don't remember the name of the hotel but it was just off I-24, out to the southeast of town.

Clarksville is a neat little town, as towns go. If they opened a storefront I think they'd do great. If it wasn't for hazmat fees I would have placed an order yesterday when they had AA#7 in stock.

There's a sporting goods store here in the town we live near, but I went in the other day and they had -0- reloading stuff and not a ton of guns.

Beau Cassidy
06-23-2014, 10:18 PM
You are reasonably close to The Gun Rack in Kingsport. I used to go there a good bit. They are putting in an indoor range now. Wideners is real hit or miss on stuff. They closed their store front years ago. Another great place for powder is Outdoor Junction in Cookville. Kinds of a drive for you. Driving back and forth to Mississippi you pass a real good Sportsman's Warehouse just off the Chickamauga Dam exit in Chattanooga.

I am from Mississippi as well. I have been know to hunt a good bit just out from Gate City.

C. Latch
06-23-2014, 10:21 PM
You are reasonably close to The Gun Rack in Kingsport. I used to go there a good bit. They are putting in an indoor range now. Wideners is real hit or miss on stuff. They closed their store front years ago. Another great place for powder is Outdoor Junction in Cookville. Kinds of a drive for you. Driving back and forth to Mississippi you pass a real good Sportsman's Warehouse just off the Chickamauga Dam exit in Chattanooga.

I am from Mississippi as well. I have been know to hunt a good bit just out from Gate City.

I think I saw mention of Outdoor Junction a couple of months ago. It was either that or a store in Crossville. I can't remember now.