PDA

View Full Version : BH209 Prices

Themoose
06-17-2014, 04:09 PM
I just spent a couple of hours tracking down some BH209 and came home with two 10 oz. containers... One purchased from Bass Pro for $32.99 and the other from Gander Mtn for $40.99... each was the only one they had in stock. I checked at Cabelas(another 90 minutes further from home) and they listed the price at $34.99... I hate buying overpriced supplies, but there just isn't much on the shelves right now in the Harrisburg, PA area.. maybe it will loosen up as fall gets closer... I did ask about Gander Mtn's price matching policy and was told they do match prices, but would call and verify that the store had the powder in inventory and get the price.... just my luck, I bought the one and only container of BH209 in stock at Bass Pro before going to G.M.

As expensive as it is, I still prefer shooting the BH209 over anything else I have tried in my 40+ years of muzzleloading. I figure I get 75 shots per container...I now use only cast bullets with felt wads so I don't spend any money on expensive jacketed bullets and sabots when I paper-patch.

Tatume
06-17-2014, 04:18 PM
As expensive as it is, I still prefer shooting the BH209 over anything else I have tried in my 40+ years of muzzleloading.

Why?

Take care, Tom

gtgeorge
06-17-2014, 04:34 PM
goto powdervally and order a 5lb jug. With hzmat and shipping you would be under $30 per 10 oz. Or better still order it with other items you need to spread the fee out and come out even better.

Themoose
06-17-2014, 05:00 PM
I like the BH209 better because it is cleaner burning... seems to be more consistent... has the accuracy I want and is very easy to clean up. I have seen more variation in regular black powder... I have tried other substitutes in the past... pyrodex.. IMO no advantage over black powder with the exception that it is easier to find these days, but is very corrosive and still fouls heavily... I tried and used 777 for a few years with success, but didn't like the "crud ring"... each of us has our own preferences and right now BH209 works for me... As far as ordering from Powder Valley, I never thought of it and didn't know you could buy in larger containers... I should have enough for me for this year with what I already had, but it is good to know for the next time I need to order it...thanks for the input

johnson1942
06-17-2014, 05:12 PM
i pay around 32 dollars for a container of blackhorn 209. love it. shot this morning with it and no cleaning inbetween shots. all hit just where i aimed. also ordered a chonograph from buffalo arms. want to see the feet per sec. of my 335 grain pp bullet with 80 grains by volume of 209 powder behind it. going to test all my guns with pp bullets and 209 power and see what the chronograph says. cleaned enough barrels in my lifetime, now im going to just shoot and shoot.

Theditchman
06-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Down here in ft lauderdale I went to the bass pro shop and they had tons of everything...#11 caps by the 100 pack 8.36 rems. bh 209 pyrodex ect all at reasonable prices...I guess its just the luck..I bought a 1000 caps and the same day the shelf was stacked again..i almost bought another 1000 but i wanted others to get some so i fought the temptation

gtgeorge
06-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Yep I found lots of caps on my weekend quest both #10 and #11 but couldn't deal with pricing at $7.99 per 100 and up. It costs more to light of your BP loads then it does to buy 22 ammo ready to go. I found some for $6 and only bought 100.