PDA

View Full Version : .452 LSWC in .454 barrel... Leading?

Kid Curry
01-17-2008, 01:44 PM
I have a 45 LC Heritage Rough Rider and believe it calls for .454 bullets. Thought I had bought .454 over 9 months ago but recently discovered it is a .452. Been having a leading problem so adjusted lead and powder to minimize it. Although much better, leading still exist. Could a mere .002 smaller be my problem?

Freightman
01-17-2008, 05:28 PM
I have a 45 LC Heritage Rough Rider and believe it calls for .454 bullets. Thought I had bought .454 over 9 months ago but recently discovered it is a .452. Been having a leading problem so adjusted lead and powder to minimize it. Although much better, leading still exist. Could a mere .002 smaller be my problem?
Slug the bore and forcing cone then see if the .452 is small. The best is to have a .002 over size a .002 under is a cause of leading.

Buckshot
01-18-2008, 03:01 AM
..................A revolter has a couple places where size is critical. Chamber mouth and the barrel groove. Worst case is a chamber mouth that is smaller then the groove. Pretty obviously, as the boolit is fired through it it's going to get sized down and will have the entire length of the barrel to get gas cut.

So slug the chamber mouths and the barrel. With the fact that revolvers have been around for what now, 170 years or so and with todays magnificent machine tools they STILL can't seem to get things right sometimes :-)

...............Buckshot