PDA

View Full Version : Melting ingots painted with plastidip

spenc938
06-17-2014, 01:03 PM
I'm thinking about purchasing some ingots that were cast from wheel weights. The catch is that the ingots (about 20 pounds each) have all been coated with plastidip/spray on bedliner. About half of each. Does anyone know if this could be burned off by melting the ingots? Or do you think I would need to remove the coatings prior to melting?

Thanks for any advice.

CastingFool
06-17-2014, 01:06 PM
I would try to remove the coating before melting. Use a Stanley knife and see if you can cut it and maybe it may peel off.

Idz
06-17-2014, 01:08 PM
Why not test one? I suspect it will burn off fine but smoke like crazy with corrosive and toxic fumes.

spenc938
06-17-2014, 01:11 PM
I haven't purchased them yet. It's a bit of a drive, so I'm trying to determine if it will be worth the effort before I go look at it.

seaboltm
06-17-2014, 01:12 PM
Why not test one? I suspect it will burn off fine but smoke like crazy with corrosive and toxic fumes.

+1 Sort of like powder coating bullets and then returning them to the pot. The powder coat melts away and some residue floats to the top which is skimmed like dross. I too suspect it will burn off giving some fumes. Don't know if they will be corrosive and toxic, but I wouldn't risk it. I doubt the fumes would be corrosive however.

dilly
06-17-2014, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't have a problem doing it. I would just sure keep my distance as it was smoking. I also wouldn't do it under my porch overhang like I normally do as I'd be afraid to get smoke damage on it.

dkf
06-17-2014, 03:43 PM
If it were me I would put them in the pot as is. I am assuming you are smelting outside. They will smoke and stink but I don't forsee a problem.

IraqVet1982
06-17-2014, 03:45 PM
The boiling point is 265°F for plastic dip

country gent
06-17-2014, 03:48 PM
An utility knife and cut around them length wise full circle then the coating should peel off. It should burn off also but smoke and smell may be very offensive and upset nieghbors for quite a ways. It also may take along time to burn off completely to be able to start pouring ingots. SO the real issue is how you want to proceed.

dondiego
06-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Slam them real hard against each other or concrete that you don't mind cracking and see if the coating might not pop off easier. The metal will dent and hopefully separate the plastic from the ingot a little. Use channel locks and pull off the plastic.

bangerjim
06-17-2014, 04:45 PM
Just melt 'em down! That stuff will burn off easily. Be upwind!!!!!!!!! Skim off the garbage.

banger

spenc938
06-17-2014, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm going to go ahead and pick them up. I'll report back with how it goes.

dmize
06-17-2014, 10:04 PM
Cut it and peel it off.
We "install" spray in bed liners at the dealership I work at. Even if the paint is scuffed correctly,you can get under it with a knife/gasket scraper and peel it off. I don't see it bonding at all to the lead.

Yodogsandman
06-18-2014, 10:32 PM
Warm it up good first, if you can. I also have a couple lead bricks coated with plastic....I planned to heat them up right on the fire and burn baby burn...

spfd1903
06-18-2014, 11:44 PM
I have melted hundreds of pounds of roofing sheet lead with tar and asphalt adhered to the lead. like others have commented, melt out in a clear area, consider wind direction. The residue can be dipped out after the smoke clears.