PDA

View Full Version : Shot shells for the .45acp?

mannyCA
06-17-2014, 12:02 AM
thats right, loaded some up with dies off the bench. No need for the expensive sets, just use your 41 mag FL sizer, a .38 seater and some shot scavenged from a couple of shotshells. They even cycled! Well, the last two at least. I think it was the mag!:wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaGzIk3azNo

let me know what you guys think.

35remington
06-17-2014, 12:36 AM
If I heard correctly, 1.18 (trim to length) - .250 (sized length of neck) = 0.93, which is the location of the shoulder which supposedly headspaces. FWIW....the max case length dimension for 45 ACP = 0.898." 45 ACP autoloader chambers range from 0.898 minimum to 0.920" maximum. Most I've measured, given hood/breechface gap which might be present, run .906 to .911."

Did I miss something? What is the finished outside diameter of the neck? It seems your shoulder might be too far forward. Maybe. Confirm the location of the shoulder from the case rim to be sure it's headspacing where it's supposed to. FWIW.

But if it fits and ejects, without funny marks on the neck from the chamber stop shoulder, something must be working. Make sure the extractor is not banging into the rear of the case on feeding from the magazine, whether by hand or autoloading, and having to snap over the rim, which would be bad juju. What magazines? Try some tapered lip style to reduce feed angularity and see if that helps feeding or not.

mannyCA
06-17-2014, 09:30 PM
Yes sir, just re-measured to the best I could. You may want to experiment in your particular 1911. I would use the .250 neck size as a starting point and adjust as needed. These were going through a colt 1911a1 and cycled well.
I removed my barrel and used it as a gauge when I was developing the load to make sure it chambered fine, I also shot a few primered cased w/o powder/shot to make sure it headspaced correctly.
After you apply the round crimp which holds the overshot card in place the neck measured .436 wide at about the midpoint, this was using a set of calipers not a micrometer.
The mag I used in the video was an older GI style, I have some colt factory and CM which I am going to try also.