PDA

View Full Version : Savage Axis

Morton
06-16-2014, 09:28 PM
Been looking at a savage axis in .308. Anyone shoot cast boolits out of one of these. Would like your opinions. Thanks

Jack Stanley
06-16-2014, 09:46 PM
Not in .308 I haven't but I have one in .223 Remington . I was ready to sell it at the gun show because of the "wet noodle" cheapo stock Savage put on it . It was saved from the sale table because Boyds actually came through with a solid stock . After a little trigger work the rifle does pretty well .

If the .308 has the same cheap plastic stock you may be looking at paying for a replacement .

Jack

Morton
06-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Thanks Mr. Stanley. Im sure it does have the same stock. I was just wondering how the axis shot cast boolits. Thanks for your comments. Bryan

Jack Stanley
06-17-2014, 09:23 AM
With the new stock on this one it is at least as good ( and better than some ) rimfire rifles at the same distances . I haven't tried this one with anything more than about fifteen hundred feet per second as of yet . But , with these loads I have got excellent accuracy with or without gas checks .

Jack

Moonie
06-17-2014, 12:43 PM
I have an Edge in 30-06, shooting the Accurate Molds 245gr it'll put 3 of em in about 1/2 an inch at 100 with the new Boyds thumbhole stock I put on it. I've also worked on the trigger and use a bipod. The Edge and the Axis are the same rifle.

Huffmanite
06-19-2014, 11:37 AM
Suggest you might want to take a look at a Marlin X rifle in 308. Own one Edge/Axis rifle in .223 and three Marlin X rifles, a 25-06, 7mm-08 and a .308. Price of the Marlin is a little higher, but its adjustable trigger alone is worth it. Also, while the stock on the Marlin is nothing to brag about (I prefer wood), think its better than one on the Edge/Axis. Less flex in the Marlin. As to accuracy of my Marlins. Happy with mine. Spent some time yesterday with a gent in his workshop replacing a Stevens trigger with a Savage Accu-trigger. Axis trigger has just as poor a trigger pull as a Stevens. Anyway, gent has more than his share of custom benchrest rifles for shooting competition. He too owns an Axis and Marlin X rifle. Like me, owns one Axis and several Marlins. He prefers the Marlin X too.

Nrut
06-19-2014, 09:19 PM
Owning a Marlin X (original Marlin Co.) rifle and a Ruger Amer. I would take the Ruger ..
Haven't shot cast in either, as one is a 708 and the other is a .243..
I like the RAR so much that I ordered two more in the stainless compact model..

To my eye the Savage Axis is a no starter..
Also I don't see the common sense and logic in buying a cheap rifle and then throwing money at it esp. when you know ahead of time that's what you have to do to make it shoot..
If you do buy a Ruger American make sure you look and see if the barrel is centered in the forearm before you lay your money down..
Good luck with what ever you choose..

Three44s
06-20-2014, 12:48 AM
The other day, I killed a coyote DRT one shot at 435 yds. with my Marlin .25-06 with a Speer 87 gr. TNT.

I like my Marlin!

Three 44s

NVScouter
06-20-2014, 10:42 AM
I had the Axis and it was a turn from the start. Sold it and got the Ruger American in .308, best thing I've done in awhile. That American broke in fast and loves cast or jacketed. Took three deer with it and an my friend shot an elk with it.

I think the guys that put he Boyd stock on it are 100% in the right dirrection but if your budget is $299-$350 buy the Ruger or Marlin.

Pinsnscrews
07-18-2014, 06:08 PM
I have an Axis in .308, I have not had a chance to shoot cast out of it, but once I stopped shooting Winchester White Box out of it for break in and loaded my own j-words...
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c167/wyckedflesh/IMG_1466_zps23dbc79f.jpg
100 yards
Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tips
43.5gr IMR4895
Winchester 7.62 Brass
Winchester primer

The ONLY thing I had done to the rifle was change the trigger spring to a lighter weight spring.

gunfreak
01-11-2015, 11:54 AM
Bought my son a Axis last year in .243 for hunting. Grouped really nice with factory ammo, loaded up some Hornaday GMX for blacktail hunting and he punched this old boy. His first deer.

Jack Stanley
01-11-2015, 05:11 PM
Good for him !! That is a day both of you will always remember ! ;-)

Jack

monge
01-17-2015, 01:38 PM
I bought a axis in 30-06 just did the trigger and ordered a boyds stock I like the trigger on the axis as compared to the accutrigger the axis trigger is very easy to work on got it down to two # and breaks like glass! Great rifle for money paid $250 for it with savage rebate!

Moonie
01-23-2015, 04:17 PM
The only reason I ended up with one was one of my sons purchased one in 30-06 and for some reason decided he needed a 300WM (that he has yet to purchase) and wanted to sell the Edge, I didn't have a 30-06, nor had I ever owned one. I figured I'd take it off his hands.