PDA

View Full Version : differences between

Guesser
06-16-2014, 01:17 PM
I've been using a RCBS LAM I for 10 years or so, it was used when I got it. I like it better than my Ly450 and am considering retiring both 450s and replacing with a new LAM II. What engineering differences are there that make the II different or better than the I?

EDG
06-16-2014, 02:25 PM
The lube reservoir cap is screwed into the top of the casting and the screw does not go through the bottom of the casting.

When backing up the top cap to add lube it pulls against a C clip to pull the screw and piston out of the lube. This C clip can pop off if you get in too big a hurry.

The LAM II does not have the pressure screw though the bottom of the casting so it cannot leak there and you cannot jam the piston in the bottom of the casting requiring cutting off the pressure screw to get the piston out.

I have one of each and like both though I use the older LAM I the most.

Guesser
06-16-2014, 09:15 PM
EDG: Your second paragraph is confusing; which LAM are you referring to in that statement?
Thanks

EDG
06-18-2014, 10:29 AM
The original LAM pulled the piston to the bottom of the casting using the head of the bolt though the bottom of the casting.

The new LAM II does not have a hole in the casting bottom, it pushes the piston from the top down.
The large top nut screws into the top of the reservoir bore.
The pressure screw has a shoulder that pushes on the bottom of the large top nut while it is pushing the piston down.
To remove the piston and screw to add more lube the top nut is unscrewed and backed out.
When unscrewing the top nut it pulls the screw and piston out of the cylinder by pushing on the "C" clip. The lube is so stiff when cold that
the "C" clip can be damaged or forced out of its groove on the screw if you are not careful.

Guesser
06-18-2014, 02:33 PM
OK, now I understand. I did order an new LAM II. Both my LY450 units will eventually be on the market.