PDA

View Full Version : Given a pheasant.

JeffinNZ
06-16-2014, 05:44 AM
I got talking to a club member the other week who mentioned he was going pheasant shooting. I asked for some feathers for tying flies. Tonight I meet up with him and he gave me this:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/icon_reimg_loading.gifhttps://jgcstories.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/dscn4671.jpg

Pheasant for dinner this weekend and more feathers than you can shake a stick at. Tres happy.

Bad Water Bill
06-16-2014, 07:25 AM
Now that looks like some fine eating.

How big were the spurs?

--------------------------------------------------------------

Carefuly pluck the tail feathers.

Mix plaster of paris and pour into an aluminum foil container.

spread and insert tail feathers and let harden.

let the young ladies paint and date the base and place your trophy on display.

Miine still brings back memories even after almost 50 years.

ENJOY.:D

square butte
06-16-2014, 07:44 AM
Wrap in bacon and oven roast with potatoes, carrots, and onions. Bacon makes everything better

Col4570
06-16-2014, 08:15 AM
The two breast halves and the Legs plus some Bacon,Salt and Pepper wrapped in Tinfoil and baked in the oven.served with Parboiled New Potatoes,sliced and fried.

AlaskanGuy
06-16-2014, 10:03 AM
I use the neck feathers only for fly's.....

Hardcast416taylor
06-16-2014, 11:41 AM
Reminds me of a story about a fellow at my gun club asking for pheasant feathers also for fish flies. The next week another shooter brought a full burlap farm feed bag full to the top of pheasant feathers. Seems this fellow was part owner of a shooting preserve with pheasants being the main item.Robert

dbosman
06-16-2014, 05:21 PM
We used to raise pheasants commercially. Fortunately for us there was a turkey farm with full processing facilities around the corner and a mile away. With a week notice they'd open up for a run of 100 or more. Unfortunately that was the early 70s. Opec and the "new" Asian market for soybean meal (which tripled prices) put us out of business. We ate a lot of pheasant for a while.

JeffinNZ
06-16-2014, 06:17 PM
I use the neck feathers only for fly's.....

Yes, I specifically plucked them off. Amazing colours.

DeanoBeanCounter
06-16-2014, 09:08 PM
Use the tail feathers to tie fly's for deep sea fishing.

jumbeaux
06-16-2014, 09:38 PM
My South Dakota uncle use to ship us a dressed bird in a box with dry ice...(many moons ago)...my Texas mom would remove the breast and cut it into long strips. She would then tenderize them with the edge of a saucer. She would put the strips into a bowl and cover it with 7 Up...she would put in ice box overnight. She would pat them dry and dust them with seasoned flour (flour, salt, pepper and garlic powder) and fry them in cooking oil. They fried real quick and were similar to the chicken tender of today. She would make milk gravy with the drippings, flour and sweet milk...

rick

richhodg66
06-16-2014, 11:04 PM
I don't hunt them, but I live in prime pheasant country, though they've been in decline several years now. A couple of years ago while deer hunting in Winter, I was standing still for several minutes, then took a step and flushed two big, healthy roosters, I literally almost stepped on them. Then, after I got my nerves back and thought "that was kinda cool", I took another step and flushed another one I again almost stepped on. They really are beautiful, I love to see them, and it's amazing how well they can conceal themselves and how long they'll hold to cover after they've been hunted a few months.

MaryB
06-17-2014, 12:38 AM
We always make them in a crock pot with cream of mushroom soup. Let them slow cook until falling apart. Serve over rice or potatoes. Good eating. I don't hunt for them anymore, to much walking for my messed up back. But I had one a coupe weeks ago, guy in front of me swerved to try to miss a bunch and one stuck its head up right under his bumper. Decapitated it and the rest was in perfect condition. I stopped, called the DNR to see if it was legal and then picked it up to take home. Nothing wrong with fresh road kill!

country gent
06-17-2014, 12:55 AM
We always skinned the necks on pheasants and old chickens then tanned or salted the skin side. This kept the feathers together nicely and allowed you to pull just whatwas needed when tying flies. same with squirell tails and deer tails.

swheeler
06-17-2014, 10:35 AM
Jeff save a tail feather to go in your hat, it will look great with purple longjohns! ;)

M-Tecs
06-17-2014, 12:29 PM
We always make them in a crock pot with cream of mushroom soup. Let them slow cook until falling apart. Serve over rice or potatoes. Good eating.

That's my favorite method. I roll them in flour first and brown with onions and finish in the crock pot.

bdicki
06-17-2014, 12:36 PM
Pheasant pot pie.

JeffinNZ
06-17-2014, 06:20 PM
Jeff save a tail feather to go in your hat, it will look great with purple longjohns! ;)

Be careful what you wish for......

Bad Water Bill
06-17-2014, 06:48 PM
Please spare us Jeff.

A photo like that just might destroy many of our screens and puters on this side of the pond.:bigsmyl2:

smokedog2
06-17-2014, 11:13 PM
New Zealand. huh. My sister-in-law and family are in New Zealand. I'll have find out where. She thinks she wants to hunt turkey. Really she wants to shoot turkey.

MtGun44
06-18-2014, 12:55 AM
You should be well supplied for decades of fly tying unless you are making a
hundred a day. Good eating, too.

Bill