PDA

View Full Version : beretta cx4 for cast boolits

silverado
06-16-2014, 12:56 AM
I don't want to get into a caliber/platform war. Just let me make that clear. For the end of the world, sure an ar15 is a great rifle. I am not at the end of the world. I live in the suburbs of Chesapeake, Va. I have great neighbors and am not worried about zombies. I do however frequent a gun range that is not set up for "high powered" 223 rifles. They do allow 9mm carbines. I am thinking about changing my ar15 for a Beretta cx4 9mm. The said ar is a gunsmoke enterprises m15 match. It has (from the factory I believe) a model 1 sales upper with a shaw barrel. The only thing I am worried about is the fact I may have paid a bit too much for it when certain school shootings were happening. I rarely shoot this ar. It functions fine and my Karma would be unaffected by selling/ trading it. I could shoot a cx4 pretty often since my gun range allows them. Does anyone here shoot cast boolits through the cx4 and what diameter are you sizing to? My goal is to minimize the variety of boolits i cast. My beretta has a big 'ol barrel and I shoot .358 boolits through it. Do the cx4 carbines have typically larger barrels? thanks in advance for any information. I had a cx4 in 45 but had to sell it to buy some new tires for my truck. I know that the platform is very accurate and nice to handle... I am just looking for typical bore/chamber fit for larger than standard 9mm boolits.

rockrat
06-16-2014, 10:25 AM
Can't help you on 9mm, but I shot .402" boolits thru my 40s&w CX4, without any problems.

garym1a2
06-16-2014, 07:51 PM
I have a cx4 in 9mm. Get the versions that take 92 mags. They have 30 rounder that works quite well.
When casting for 9mm take care as the barrel is 1:10. The velocity out of the 16 inch barrrel will be rather high so you ma y need gas checks. My 9mm load of the Lee 120TC is 1100 out of the glocks. It probally runs 1300 or more in the storm. To start with I got a bit of leading with this 9mm in the storm and also my glocks. Going to powder coat solved it for me. So far I have about 1000 rounds thru mine, 100% reliable.
I have been to a couple 3 gun matches with it and it runs great, much more reliable than the AR 9mm's I see.

silverado
06-16-2014, 10:13 PM
I have a cx4 in 9mm. Get the versions that take 92 mags. They have 30 rounder that works quite well.
When casting for 9mm take care as the barrel is 1:10. The velocity out of the 16 inch barrrel will be rather high so you ma y need gas checks. My 9mm load of the Lee 120TC is 1100 out of the glocks. It probally runs 1300 or more in the storm. To start with I got a bit of leading with this 9mm in the storm and also my glocks. Going to powder coat solved it for me. So far I have about 1000 rounds thru mine, 100% reliable.
I have been to a couple 3 gun matches with it and it runs great, much more reliable than the AR 9mm's I see.
What are you sizing your boolits to? My 92 likes 358 and im hoping the cx4 would also

garym1a2
06-17-2014, 08:07 AM
I size to .357 since they work fine in several Glocks that .358 are too big. The Lee 120Gr TC sized to .357 and a small charge of bullseye is my standard load. Good accuracy and quite. With powder paint it's also does not throw much smoke. I do think it probally will handle .358, but I have not tried it nor slugged the barrel as my results where good. Watch Midway for the 30 rounders, last November I got 4 on sale for $24 each.

What are you sizing your boolits to? My 92 likes 358 and im hoping the cx4 would also

finishman2000
06-17-2014, 04:53 PM
I've shot about 5k of my 147 cast through my storm. It get real dirty because of the blowback action and make sure you wear safety glasses. with acc #7 I'm getting 1271 fps out of it and the same ammo through a handgun is 1070 fps. very accurate and tons of fun.