PDA

View Full Version : Got a 38-55 loaded :-)

Buckshot
01-17-2008, 03:04 AM
..............I made a powder compression die for the 38-55 and decided to experiment loading BP for the Uberti Hi-Wall.

http://www.fototime.com/B93D1FF985F378B/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/4AE95C6633B4A29/standard.jpg

These are the swaged slugs I'd produced with the swage dies I'd made. The core was cast of 20-1 then swaged. The OD is .3747", and they weigh 296.4 grs and are 1.070" long with with a .210" deep untapered HP. I wrapped it with Mead Academie brand tracing paper that is .0017" thick. The dried OD over the patch is .3806 to .3808" in checking several places on a few slugs. The boolit engrave nicely, chambered with thumb pressure. The rim stands just beyond flush of the breech, so closing the breechblock engraves the paper.

The right photo shows the leade nicely overides the paper to begin the engraving. If it looks kind of ratty it's because it's been in and out of that case a few times. And if the left side of the nose looks a bit 'off' it's because it's been dropped on it :-) . Fumble fingers.

The case is a twice fired Starline 2.125" which is now 2.117" long. I use a universal de-capper and then just hit about the top 1/2" of the case with a Lee FL die, and then put a slight flare on the casemouth. The case ID is .380". The patched (dry in this instance) booit is a firm thumb press fit down to the wad.

As it's all new to me, to start I took a hint from Jon K. The load he'd been using was 43.0grs of 3Fg (Goex I think) & .200" of compression as a place to start. He was using the Saeco tapered 300 gr GG slug. I got the Lyman measure set at 43.0grs and went from there. What I ended up with is 48.3 grs of powder with a .030" cardwad and .200" of compression. I used Goex also, and it's vintage is unknown.

This will be the point that I begin my experimenting. I have a few swaged 321gr slugs PP'd up and will load these also to see if they'll stabilize. They're HP's also and are 1.172" long. I should be able to try these loads next Tuesday. I have high hopes, but will report back, good OR bad !

.................Buckshot

(Note, post duplicated @ BPC)

KCSO
01-17-2008, 01:13 PM
Buckshot
That looks NICE! If I ever get finished with 45-70 i would like to start on p/p for my 38-55.

Nueces
01-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Very nice looking slug and round. Here's to your targets looking as good!

Mark

toecutter
01-19-2008, 06:35 AM
Is the uberti a .380 or a .377 bore? I havn't done a PP or a swaged bullet in this caliber yet, but I've loaded a few of these on request. Goofy goofy cartridge. (the redding dies even though they said Full-length didn't seem to change any dimesion other than the neck a bit).

Looks like a nice bullet you got there. What ogive did you use?