PDA

View Full Version : Gun or Cannon ?

milkman
06-15-2014, 04:05 PM
I didn't know where to post this so I just stuck it here.

Just a question that I have been wondering about. What is the difference in a gun and a cannon. On an airplane, a 50 cal is a machine GUN, a 20 mm is a machine CANNON. Is there a definition that determines which terminology is used?
The warthog uses a 30mm cannon, the 30 cal mini is a gun. Does size really matter??

Milkman

Outpost75
06-15-2014, 04:31 PM
A howitzer is a high angle of fire, artillery piece with a tube length of less than 25 times the projectile diameter. A "gun" is an artillery piece with a tube length of greater than 25 calibers.

"Cannon" refers generically to any piece of ordnance firing ammunition having a proje tile of diameter greater than 15mm. The Soviet-era 14.5 mm heavy machinegun, vs. the 20mm Olerikon cannon.

milkman
06-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Thanks, I knew someone here would know the answer

35remington
06-15-2014, 07:07 PM
A cannon also has the capability to fire an explosive shell rather than an inert or incendiary projectile, because the projectile is large enough to carry a significant explosive charge. Sure, there are exceptions, but not many, and small caliber projectiles don't have much room for explosive.

flyingmonkey35
06-15-2014, 07:43 PM
When I was in the field artillery in the Army.

Cannon is used as term for anything that shot indirect line of fire.
Or shoot it up and it falls down on the target.

A gun was direct fire.

But that's just us redlegs for ya.

catskinner
06-15-2014, 10:02 PM
I believe anything 50 caliber or less was small arms. Also anything labeled a gun was a crew served weapon. Mortars are also indirect fire weapons. 11C knows.

nhrifle
06-15-2014, 10:31 PM
Sometimes wondered about the terminology, but never made an effort to understand the differences. Now I am left with a question --

If an artillery unit is unlucky enough to be ambushed and has to dial the elevation down so the barrel is parallel with the deck, would they then be shooting guns rather than howitzers?

Frank46
06-15-2014, 11:46 PM
And to really confuse the heck out of you us Navy guys always referred to the 5"54 guns as mounts. Had 4 slow firing mounts on my ship. According to what I have read the Midway class carriers all had 5"54's in mounts. The quick firing ones came on later carriers and ships. But it was fun standing back on the fantail watching one of the mounts firing at the target sleds. You'd hear and see the bang followed by the projectile going through the air with a whoosh whoosh sound and hitting the target. Frank

NavyVet1959
06-16-2014, 04:36 AM
When I was in the field artillery in the Army.

Cannon is used as term for anything that shot indirect line of fire.
Or shoot it up and it falls down on the target.

A gun was direct fire.

But that's just us redlegs for ya.

So, a .45-70 is a cannon. :)

dondiego
06-16-2014, 09:45 AM
That's Funny!

Cap'n Morgan
06-16-2014, 12:34 PM
http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/miltech.htm

The above link pretty much confirms Outpost's info. 14.5mm = heavy machingun. 20mm = cannon.

Come to think of it; Does anybody know of a HMG/cannon in the in between 15-20mm range?

NavyVet1959
06-16-2014, 01:00 PM
http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/miltech.htm

The above link pretty much confirms Outpost's info. 14.5mm = heavy machingun. 20mm = cannon.

Come to think of it; Does anybody know of a HMG/cannon in the in between 15-20mm range?

Well, there have been some 20+mm rifles, but a quick Google search didn't really come up with anything in the 15-20mm range.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.950_JDJ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrett_XM109
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RT-20_%28rifle%29

EDG
06-16-2014, 02:59 PM
A hollow steel projectile with a bursting charge is said to be fired from a cannon.

A solid bullet round that causes damage with only kinetic energy is fired from a machine gun.

EDG
06-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Use of howitzers with direct fire occured on IWO JIMA. The Marines would roll a 105mm up to a 200 yards or less of a bunker or pill box and fire direclty into a port or doorway.

In France a few weeks after D Day I read of one case where the US ARMY did not have a tank or tank destroyer to spare so they sent a M7 (105 mm howitzer in a M4 Sherman Chassis) to stalk a German tank.

Sometimes wondered about the terminology, but never made an effort to understand the differences. Now I am left with a question --

If an artillery unit is unlucky enough to be ambushed and has to dial the elevation down so the barrel is parallel with the deck, would they then be shooting guns rather than howitzers?

MtGun44
06-16-2014, 09:30 PM
I think 35Rem is saying what I had heard - exploding shells was the difference in WW2 aircraft ordinance.
Depends a lot on the field of interest, terminology varies.

Bill

flyingmonkey35
06-16-2014, 11:24 PM

its called spray and pray with a .01 second fuse on the projectile.

before NATO banned it we a had flechette rounds just for that purpose

flyingmonkey35
06-16-2014, 11:32 PM
Don't forget the original cannon was just a big giant gun. That shot a 5 pound ball of lead at the target.

Watch a pirate movie.

Hey private, go run down the line to gun Charlie and get the "Battery Adjustment wrench". Then book it on over to the Command tent and ask for the LT to give you some a box of grid square s so we can align the battery correctly.

[emoji12]

Battery adjustment wrench was a 50 pound track jack. Buahhaha

flyingmonkey35
06-16-2014, 11:34 PM
Don't forget to fill out your id-10-t form.

Echo
06-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Don't forget the original cannon was just a big giant gun. That shot a 5 pound ball of lead at the target. ..

... Or a big round rock...

DougStump
06-17-2014, 01:32 PM
If you can pick up the loaded shell with one hand it's a gun. If you need two hands, it's a cannon.

dondiego
06-17-2014, 03:54 PM
Welcome Doug!