View Full Version : Minted a new shooter yesterday

Thumbcocker
06-15-2014, 08:13 AM
Mrs. Thumbcocker and I took a co-worker to the range for the first time yesterday. We started with a general introduction and explanation of terminology, graduated to dry firing and finally live ammunition. The 4" stainless kit gun was the learning tool as it fit her hands well. She is 5'1" tall and weighs about 100 pounds soaking wet. She paid close attention and by the end of our session she was hitting a 2" target spot on a plate 3 out of six at 7 yards.

What makes all this more satisfying is that our student is from Arlington Heights, a liberal suburb of Chicago. She had never held a gun before. We kept the whole atmosphere low key and non-political with frequent breaks. At the end she commented "this is fun" I told her we wouldn't do it if it wasn't.

I think that a lot of folks in anti gun areas might have a similar feeling if they were approached in the right way and had an enjoyable experience in a laid back setting. I don't know if she will become a gun owner or hunter but I am pretty sure she has a fairly positive view of shooting at this point.

Charlie Two Tracks
06-15-2014, 08:19 AM
Very good Thumbcocker. She may very well go back home and tell others that shooting is not an evil thing to do and actually quite fun.

Ben
06-15-2014, 08:19 AM
If we are to make strides with the liberals, it will be " one at a time ", just as you have done.

Good for you ! !

Ben

500MAG
06-15-2014, 08:37 AM
My brother-in-law, the self proclaimed atheist liberal, would always tell me how he didn't understand the need or desire to own and shoot guns. Last year, he was visiting us while his other brother, the exact opposite, was also visiting. We took a trip to the range and he continued to say on the way there how guns just frighten him and doesn't even think he would shoot one. After instructing him and putting one in his hand, he didn't want to stop. His ride to leave arrived early and I'll never forget how upset he was to have to leave us all there while we continued to shoot the rest of the day.

waynem34
06-15-2014, 01:50 PM
My whole life involves memories of shooting. I'm the youngest of 8 and now I am 42.I can close my eyes and see all of my brothers and sisters shooting,hunting,fishing,camping,and having fun.We don't always get along but we get by."The gun is the greatest invention of man."