PDA

View Full Version : Niton electronic thermo analyzer in action

randyrat
01-17-2008, 12:05 AM
I went to the big city for a work meeting and got out early so i went to the local scrap dealer and did a little feeling around and brought my unindentified 5 lb ingot (i thought it might be linotype) to be indentified. The gentalman came in and was real nice about it, he said; i can tell you what it is in about 15 seconds with this Analyzer... He did and it was close to 98% pure zink. Good thing i had it tested because i have about 60 lbs of it and i almost tried to melt it ,but i hesitated. Its good to be hesitent once in a while. Well i only paid .20/lb and they will buy it for .55/lb so i didn't get greased this time. They traded me 5 bars of 70/30 lead/tin for it. We had a good conversation about casting boolits and the use of alloys, he enjoyed it as much as i did. Well the feller took my # down and said he would call me next time they get tin,antimony or linotype in and will sell it for a reasonable price. He said if he had any Linotype today it would cost me .60/lb..... PR work pays off......... He also showed me a big chunk of tin 45 lbs but it had 3 1/2 % copper in it(he tested it) so i held off on buying it....What do you fellows thing? will 3 1/2 % copper screw up a nice big batch of tin..I could buy that chunk for about .50/lb ?

felix
01-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Buy it, and use is to augment WW at 2 percent or less. You won't even see the copper. ... felix