PDA

View Full Version : Best way to shoot a .36 cap and ball with the hammer groove rear site

NVScouter
06-13-2014, 05:08 PM
I have a .36 cap and ball Itallian pistol I bought last year. Its a hoot but aiming is terrible. I tried bench shooting like adjustable sites and got large 12"+ high groups at 10yards. Just point and aiming like a pointed finger I'm pretty good. Is there a techique to using one of these or are they just ulilitarian pieces and I'm overthinking it?

rking22
06-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Just like originals, they shoot high. They were intended to hit "center mass" with a hold on belt buckle (shiney spot) out to 100 yards. I know, no help for your issue! I have a Colt and have actually considered putting a new front blade on it so it can be sighted in at a resonable range. I really don't want to go filing on the hammer notch! Otherwise just "point shoot" it and when load testing don't worry about POI just group. Hopefully others will chime in, I am interested in other options myself.

Baron von Trollwhack
06-13-2014, 05:42 PM
A great many of the 1851 original Colts were fitted with lower front sights and sights at the rear of the barrel. Commercial sales and gunsmithing of the time of course.

I have had my Uberti 1851 so fitted and with 20 grains of fffg and a soft 380 ball it shoots very nicely at 20 yards. My sights were modeled on the originals I had seen. Luckily the timing , cylinder holes, and lock up were well done by Uberti. I did file a bit off the hammer nose to allow for use of the sights.
BvT

Omnivore
06-13-2014, 06:04 PM
It's pretty easy to install a taller front sight in '51 Navy. I did it using a small piece of brass rod, filed to a point at the top, and soft-soldered it into the barrel where the old one was. A little tweaking of the rear sight notch and it's really good at 25 yards. That was a Pietta.

I have an Uberti '61 Navy that was pretty darned close right from the factory. So far all I've done is widen the hammer notch (for a better view of the front sight) while moving it over to the right a little bit. Right now it shoots about 3" high and about an inch left at 25 yards, so you can hit a soup can by aiming at the lower edge and favoring right. Eventually I'll get it shooting right to POA, but you probably want to settle on a specific load before going that far.

Hammers and front sights are readily replaceable items, so if you mess one up you can at least replace it and start over. There's no reason you need to settle for 12" of "Tennessee elevation".

docone31
06-13-2014, 10:45 PM
That hammer sight is pretty easy to open up.]First, flatten the ears. Second, with a cut off disc, widen it up. That helps a little bit.You can also dovetail on a front sight, a little taller and file it down.Watch the heat, do it slow, and good luck.

Fly
06-15-2014, 04:36 AM
I agree, I file the top of the hammer down some & use a triangle file to deepen the grove.
You can remove the front sight & put a dove tail sight on it.I do that or you can get a gunsmith
to do that for you.But the rear sight deal is easy.

Fly

NVScouter
06-16-2014, 04:54 PM
Sounds good I think I'll cut up some hammer!

docone31
06-16-2014, 07:24 PM
The hammers are real hard. You will need to use a Dremel and the sanding drum to level the hammer top, a cut off wheel to widen it.

Boz330
06-18-2014, 09:13 AM
By installing a dovetail sight you solve your windage and your height problems. I have a brass frame Pieta that actually shoots pretty good, but I keep the loads really light. It is just a fun gun to shoot.

Bob

Hickok
06-18-2014, 10:02 AM
A piece of brass brazing rod works for a taller front sight, and you can file down the top of the hammer some also. On the Colt 1860 handgun, a brass key works great for a replacement front sight.

These cap and ball revolvers are every bit as accurate as new revolvers once you get the hang of them and learn about them.