PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Season comes to my backyard!

W.R.Buchanan
06-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Came home to day to a house full of completely freaked out cats ! What could be the problem here?

This was on our back porch just hanging out enjoying the afternoon.

She has been here for about 3 hours now and shows no signs of moving on.

Absolutely no fear of humans,,, I was less than 5 feet from her when I took the pics!

She's been around our neighborhood for a few days now and I think she is going house to house looking for her flock.

Randy

s mac
06-13-2014, 05:06 PM
It's birds like that that give turkey hunters a bad name. Whats so hard about turkey hunting? Lol

Tatume
06-13-2014, 06:03 PM
Many times during turkey season I see pickup trucks parked while the hunters are in the woods. Where is the safest place for the turkeys? Why, next to the trucks of course! They hang out there until the hunters return, signaling that it is safe for the birds to go home. Every year I get a good laugh out of this; it never gets old.

CastingFool
06-13-2014, 06:09 PM
is it in the oven yet?

harvester
06-13-2014, 09:10 PM
It will not be so cute when it starts crapping all over everything.

W.R.Buchanan
06-13-2014, 10:17 PM
Well she did leave us a couple of large deposits on the fence and patio floor, and then moved on.

Big Birds = Big Dumps.

This bird was about 12-13 lbs. and would have made a nice dinner for four.

Something different than the usual stuff we see here.

Randy

Catshooter
06-14-2014, 03:15 AM
I bet there were some cat's thinking Karma had come a callin'. :)

Cat

W.R.Buchanan
06-14-2014, 12:30 PM
When my wife first saw this bird the cats were face to face with the thing at the back patio doors. They were completely freaked out because they had never seen a birdy that big. This birdy was twice their size! Very scary!

The turkey appeared to be quite enamored with it's reflection in the glass and spent most of it's time profiling in front of the sliding door in the picture above.

I did my now infamous homemade turkey call which has worked very well on the local flocks I have encountered however my Hen call had no effect on this one mainly because it was a Hen. I've actually called a whole flock of about 12-15 birds right up to within 10 feet of me at a road intersection nearby,, with a dozen people watching, I might add. The Hen call is the typical erh, erh, erh, erh you hear on TV except I am doing it without a device, just voice. Turkeys don't really care how authentic you sound. Then when the Gobblers puff up and start displaying, you go blubbity, blubity, blubity, (the noise doesn't translate well to text) and they all go off at the same time. It is quite entertaining.

I did not have any problems with cats wanting to go outside yesterday. Everybody was quite content to sleep on the couch all day.

Very cautious going outside this morning.

Randy