PDA

View Full Version : Slugging a 38 barrel

TNRELOADER
06-13-2014, 12:19 PM
Hey guys I was looking to buy a sizing die for my ROSSI 38. It's not much of a gun but its fun to shoot, not for sure of model but its a old police gun I got from a guy. I slugged the barrel last night and kept getting .356 is this possible. I oiled the barrel and slug (egg sinker) and pushed it down the barrel with a wood rod and small mallet. Measured it with two sets of calipers and still got .356 all times. Does this seem small? I have been shooting hunters supply hard cast that were sized to 357 from factory and had no leading. If it is .356 do you think it would be ok to size to .358 using 50/50 lead/ww

petroid
06-13-2014, 01:40 PM
Lots of people get Lessing from hard cast. Maybe you're the exception because of the small bore.

dondiego
06-13-2014, 02:53 PM
What is the accuracy tolerance on the two calipers? Do you have an accurate micrometer? Can you borrow one?

Be careful with using a wood dowel for slugging. There have been many reports of wood stuck in the bore and difficulty with subsequent removal.

dondiego
06-13-2014, 02:54 PM
What is the accuracy tolerance on the two calipers? Do you have an accurate micrometer? Can you borrow one?

Be careful with using a wood dowel for slugging. There have been many reports of wood stuck in the bore and difficulty with subsequent removal.

Edit - Forgot to add that 0.358 bullets should be OK if the chamber

454PB
06-13-2014, 03:24 PM
Two points to mention........

The "slug" you use needs to be at least .005" larger than the bore so that it completely fills the bore as it is driven through. If it is a little small, place it in a vice, and squeeze it a bit larger.

I can generally get my various calipers to agree within .001" to a measurement with a micrometer, but I've done a lot of measuring over the years. Unless you're very experienced with precision measurements, a micrometer is always more accurate than a caliper.

TNRELOADER
06-13-2014, 03:50 PM
I have used calipers quite a bit so I'm confident there. The sinker that I used should have been big enough, the muzzle shaved a good ring off as it went through. I will check one more time and see what I get, I thought the grove diameter may have been a little bigger. If I check again and it comes out to .356 I have a star .357 die that came with my used star sizer and I may give it a try first before ordering a .358.

Moonman
06-13-2014, 04:14 PM
How many GROOVES in the rifling, ODD number CANNOT BE DIRECTLY READ,
such as with S&W Revolvers.

gray wolf
06-13-2014, 04:15 PM
Do I hear a vote for a throat measurement ??

TNRELOADER
06-13-2014, 05:20 PM
Rifling has equal amount of groves. Can I slug the throat the same way with a soft egg sinker, if so do I need to check all five in the cylinder. Also both sets of calipers measure the same. I will try and find a cheep micrometer to measure with until I can afford to buy a nice one. It will be some time this weekend before I can get back to you fine people.

Thank You and GOD BLESS
TNRELOADER

a.squibload
06-13-2014, 05:29 PM
Sinker should be fine for the cylinders long as it's larger than they are.
The holes should all be the same BUT it never hurts to check.

dubber123
06-13-2014, 05:36 PM
My advice would be to slug the throats, and size as close to that measurement as you can get. The barrel will take care of the rest, as long as it is smaller than the throats. Have fun.

MtGun44
06-14-2014, 02:08 AM
PLEASE don't slug barrels with a wooden rod! MANY folks have had them fracture on
a long angle and wedge in the barrel, almost impossible to remove.

Bill

a.squibload
06-14-2014, 02:40 PM
I thought up a new method for that, involves high temperature...

mdi
06-14-2014, 04:35 PM
I'd say trust your measurement at .356". Yep it's possible Rossi made tight barrels (or there might be a constriction in the barrel at the frame/barrel junction). I'd suggest you slug the cylinder throats and size your bullets (or purchase bullets) the same diameter. Rossi may not be a premium firearm, but I was able to work up a load for my 3" .38 Special Rossi and it shot reliably and fairly accurately, and lots of fun. It turned out to be my "fishin' gun". Slipped easily into the back pocket of my Levis...