PDA

View Full Version : Went to the local range today and they had 1000's of pounds of range lead . . .

dmftoy1
01-16-2008, 08:33 PM
So I thought I should ask them how much . . .

They said it wasn't for sale, but if it was then they'd want at least $1.80 a pound for it.

I tried pretty hard not to laugh as I walked out.

Blammer
01-16-2008, 08:53 PM
I woulda asked what they were gonna do with it?

Maybe to them just haul it off would be worth it to them.... :D

never know...

JeffinNZ
01-16-2008, 09:18 PM
PER POUND!

$1.80 per kilo (2.2lb) would have been too much.

sundog
01-16-2008, 09:26 PM
Offer to haul it off, but you charge them fiddy cent a pound for disposal - kinda like that tax on old tires. You pay them nothing. Once it's off the range property, they are free and clear. You could use the dinero for casting gear and guns.

trickyasafox
01-16-2008, 10:39 PM
My range sells all the lead from the indoor as scrap. I think they got near 30 cents a lb for it. Helps to keep dues down. Sometimes I think about asking to buy a bucket, but I get nervous with lead that pulverized. I fear I'll inhale a bunch of the dust stuff.

kirb
01-16-2008, 10:50 PM
I tried to by some from a range in utah that had state and federal money used in building. Said they had to have it hauled of by a certified haz-mat guy of some kind. It is a great range indoor rim fire and archery, out door range covered benches 300 yards and 6 pistol bays.

Kirb

imashooter2
01-17-2008, 01:06 AM
My last source of free lead was an indoor range at a club where I shot the occasional match. That source dried up in January. No more free lead for me.:(

Crosshair
01-17-2008, 03:15 AM
Yea, free lead is hard to find. (I have one small source and I ain't tellin.) Cheap lead is still available if one looks around. Even worst case prices from what I have found locally it is still under $9 for enough lead to make 1K of 158 grain bullets.

dmftoy1
01-17-2008, 06:52 AM
I would've been happy to pay them something for it and shown up with my trailer to pick it up, but they weren't interested in selling it or moving it. They said they figured it was worth $1.82 a pound right now and that they'd be getting $3 a pound for it by the end of the year . . .I sure hope they're not right about that one! :)

I haven't checked the local scrap yard for almost a year, but last time I checked they were selling scrap lead for .50 a pound . ..I can't imagine that they're selling it for over $2 a pound now.

I wish I had my camera there . . .just estimating at around 1000lbs per 55 gallon drum I'd estimate they had 3600-4000 pounds of range lead .. .if you figure 1200lbs per drum then we're up near 4500-5000.

Blackhawk Convertable
01-17-2008, 08:53 AM
Wait till they get all loaded up and to the recycler and find out that $1.80 to $3 a lb. is more like 30¢ a lb. Probably less since it has copper jacketed mix in with the lead.

Personally I'd visit a couple of the larger tire shops. I have 2 that I visit monthly and pay the going scrap rate for WW's. Right now that's 34¢ a pound. Easier to handle 120# buckets than 1500# drums anyway.

colbyjack
01-17-2008, 10:15 AM
local range here sold 6 tons for .03 a pound they got rippped on their lead but someone got a good deal.

the indoor range here just sold 3 ton for .30 a pound and i thought that was fair. -chris

MT Gianni
01-17-2008, 10:33 AM
I tried to by some from a range in utah that had state and federal money used in building. Said they had to have it hauled of by a certified haz-mat guy of some kind. It is a great range indoor rim fire and archery, out door range covered benches 300 yards and 6 pistol bays.

Kirb

Haz-mat training is not that expensive or that long. There is a 24 hr course or a 40 hr "Team Leader" or some such. Business cards don't cost much either. If you really need lead take the course and set up a lead removal business. Gianni