PDA

View Full Version : The Sun was perfict this afternoon

Johnch
06-13-2014, 12:46 AM
Since I am not working with the head ackes ( Migraines )
I have spare time .....way to much some days

So this afternoon I had a decent day
So I ask a few of the younger group if they wanted to plink

Ended up taking my cousin's 2 boys and my nephue to the range

The sun was getting a little lower
So as we shot tward the east
The sun reflected off the gas checks perfictly
As I had a bunch of odd 308 cast loads that let my nephue play with those

For my cousins boys
I had the Marlin 45/70 with me
I had 250 or so loaded rounds
The load was the RCBS 350 gr GC boolit pushed with Unique to 1200 fps

Not much recoil for my cousins 10 and 12 year olds and they thought it was great to watch the boolit

We had taken a bunch of pop cans and 2 liter pop bottles with us
I hung the pop cans on strings in front to the backstop
And we filled the pop bottles with water for more fun targets

We all had fun shooting till the ammo ran out
Clean up was a lot less fun for the boys , but they understood it needed to be done
As we picked up 2 garbage bags of trash other people wad left

About 7 we had stuff cleaned up
So we did little lead picking
Youngsters are great helpers

We almost filled 3 - 5 gallon buckets with bullets and boolits
But I know there is a fair amount of tash also

Still way more lead than we shot

Now I have a good reason to cast some evenings again

John

NewbieDave007
06-13-2014, 02:25 AM
Sounds like a bunch of fun.

Catshooter
06-13-2014, 02:49 AM
Sweet John. I have shot that same load (but with Universal Clays) through my Marlin. It loves it.

Heck, with three five gallon buckets of leadish goodness you even come away paid for your fun! :)

Cat

farmallcrew
06-13-2014, 09:01 PM
sounds like a good afternoon had by all!!!! I know i get sad too when i run out of ammo. :lovebooli

MaryB
06-13-2014, 11:39 PM
Love taking my nephews to the range but they are graduating high school next year and have less and less time to come visit. To busy in summer working their lawn care business they started with a $1,000 loan from all of us family. They paid us all back in 30 days. Those two are hard workers and not afraid to go through an entire small town handing out business cards in person. They have upgraded equipment to a commercial mower with savings, commercial grade trimmers, a nice used trailer I had sitting idle that I gave them a deal on and an older pickup they repaired the body and painted nice.

Catshooter
06-14-2014, 03:11 AM
Mary,

That's great to hear. There are still good kids around, aren't there. I had two grandsons enter my life through marriage a little while ago. They're both pretty good boys.

They will get busy with living life though.

Cat

MaryB
06-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Both are planning on joining the military but I think they want 1 year off just doing their own business. Never know they may change their minds. With 3 nephews and 2 nieces already in the military I know why they want to join.

TXGunNut
06-15-2014, 03:11 AM
Sounds like a nice outing, John. Thanks for sharing the fun with the next generation, that's going to be more important that we want to think. Cleaning up after slobs is an important lesson as well. Regardless of what we hear and see there are indeed good kids out there, thanks for the reminder.