PDA

View Full Version : I just did an Invetory

Harter66
06-12-2014, 10:49 PM
You know that 1 just to be sure your tools are still covered money wise.

I bought most of my loading gear pre-owned ,gifted ,buy this get those. When did a MEC single get to be $250 and $350 for a Sizemaster? RockChuckers are almost $300 ? The Load Master I bought for the portable base and a few goodies. 400 bucks , wow. I only have 5 die sets w/o cartridges to match . You guys are a horrible influence I have 5 moulds for 45 and 6 for 9mm/38/357 3 of which will shoot in a 38 S&W(short /New Police/38-200) 4 7mm's, 4 30s ,4 odd sized sizers, and 2 custom lapped moulds. A dozen custom expanders and decappers.
How is it that a guy in 10 short years can go from 3 20mm cans including 1 full of last seasons duck cases to $6 grand and a full truck load ?

I'd blame the Sr members but I think thanks are more in order.

cwheel
06-12-2014, 11:09 PM
Looking at the table of stuff you brought to Fallon, you are just as bad as I am. Down to 15-20 molds, down to 3 presses from the 5 I had, etc. Most of the stuff given or part of estates, passed through my family over 3 generations. Guess when I pass, that's what will happen with my pile of stuff. What are they going to do with the cannon ?? Won't be my problem then. Funny that along the way this stuff is going up in price big time. If a person was investing for the long run, be good stuff to buy, hold 10 years, and sell. Just have fun with your stuff, I do, life is short. Let the person who cleans up the mess after we pass make a buck or two. My wife says the goats and horses are going with her ???
Chris

reloader28
06-12-2014, 11:42 PM
An MEC single for $250????

WOW. The last one I bought new a few years ago for just about $130 from Scheels.

Harter66
06-13-2014, 12:19 AM
MSRP I think. But I think Sheels was 234 so w/tax ...... There's probably 3x in my stash what my Dad has .... He's ''helping me'' he snagged up an old Pacific 12 ga press and has 100# or more lead......

Gar
06-13-2014, 10:18 AM
Harter, thanks for reminding me. I keep a running inventory of reloading supplies and equipment. Just looked at the value assigned to the equipment for insurance purposes! :roll:
$350 for the last Dillon 550 and $98 for the last MEC JR I bought. Time to re-figure replacement costs!

osteodoc08
06-13-2014, 10:54 AM
Well, you've gotta insure it for the fair market value of replacement (MSRP), not what ya wheeled and dealed it for.

Harter66
06-13-2014, 11:25 AM
Better check the market (mark up) on that sks they're over $300 now too all those $98-109 BRNO Mausers are going for 275 last time I was in Cabelas/BassPro/Scheels. I scored when I bought $125 03' several yr ago, bbl'd actions were in Shotgun News for 175 then. Recently folks have been dropping $300 on similar guns and callin it a bargin and my Dad has a 700BDL that is now a custom shop only item and ticks in over 1400. Its sad to think my truck guns are doubling and quading in replacement cost.......

dbosman
06-13-2014, 03:07 PM
Thanks for the reminder to inventory.
I'd have never thought to inventory my tools as I'd just assumed things one should assu=me.

cwheel
06-13-2014, 11:39 PM
I guess I should inventory my reloading gear, assign a value to it. My son is a shooter, but not a reloader, he is going to come across things like the throat erosion gage for a Garand, ask what the heck is this, and file it into the round file, move on to the next unidentified object. Should take a couple of weeks next winter to document this stuff, inventory with a picture and value. That way at least it's going to make it to ebay properly identified. I guess if there is a fire there will be a crater where the shop used to be. Fire gets to the powder, propane, acetylene, black powder, and solvents, make that a big crater. Inventory is a good idea I think, could sure save some trouble.
Chris

aspangler
06-14-2014, 03:21 AM
I guess I should inventory my reloading gear, assign a value to it. My son is a shooter, but not a reloader, he is going to come across things like the throat erosion gage for a Garand, ask what the heck is this, and file it into the round file, move on to the next unidentified object. Should take a couple of weeks next winter to document this stuff, inventory with a picture and value. That way at least it's going to make it to ebay properly identified. I guess if there is a fire there will be a crater where the shop used to be. Fire gets to the powder, propane, acetylene, black powder, and solvents, make that a big crater. Inventory is a good idea I think, could sure save some trouble.
Chris
What? No RDX? No nitro for making your own powder? :kidding:

smokeywolf
06-14-2014, 05:12 AM
I invest in stocks, real estate and other assets for profit. My tools, sports and hobby goodies are for handing down to my wife and kids. Now that this has come up, I'm thinking that I should probably inventory my equipment and hardware.

FISH4BUGS
06-14-2014, 07:16 AM
I started inventorying my casting/reloading goodies a while back. I was astounded at how much I had accumulated. I had moulds that I didn't recall buying. Never used them, probably never will. I suppose I should put a value on them, but what is 2000+ lbs of wheel weights worth? What is 400lbs of linotype worth?
Along with trying to properly value machine guns, which go up a lot each year, I get overwhelmed at the task. I think I would be afraid to know what it all is worth.
Like another poster said......when I go, it isn't my problem any more.

MrWolf
06-14-2014, 10:09 AM
I already told the wife and kids, don't toss my stuff when I go. Get someone in who knows about reloading and sell. Great idea about doing an inventory and placing a value. That will have to go to the bottom of my Honey-Do list :lovebooli

Harter66
06-14-2014, 03:17 PM
What? No RDX? No nitro for making your own powder? :kidding:

Funny you should mention that . Not far from my front door ......... Oh hell just google ''Major Caliber Motor assembly'' an read way to much about Hawthorne Nv. or on Google earth Babbit Nv will do.

I try to store the woof,boom and pop separately.

buggybuilder
06-14-2014, 03:40 PM
Ha !! Gotcha all beat. I bought my Mec 600 Jr. for $35 used a number of years ago (1973). With it I got 1 full bag of shot and 1 part of a bag, about 300 wads, a couple hundred 12 ga. hulls and a couple pounds of powder.

slim1836
06-14-2014, 03:48 PM
Got lucky, I got a Mec 600 Jr., one 25lb 7 1/2 shot, + 1 lb. powder at yard sale for $20 last year.

Slim

Harter66
06-14-2014, 04:56 PM
Back in 09' a guy gave me a Texan 12ga press ,a 3 hole Lee press and a set of 44 mag and 38/357 both RCBS Carbide dies. In 05' I got a SizeMaster 20ga 10# of steel ,25# of lead 250 wads for each and some Win 760 for $25.
Ive bought 2 sets of 38/357 dies and no 44mag/spcl. I've sold 3 sets of each and still have 2 1/2 sets of 38s and a set of 44s.

dbosman
06-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Let's say that free or cheap MEC happened to be set up for .410 loading.
Currently it's replacement value is essentially the price of a new one from MEC.
If you lost it in a fire, you aren't likely to find a used on any time soon. A couple of pieces like that and most would be over their deductibles.

shooter93
06-14-2014, 07:21 PM
I gave up long ago about an inventory when I realized my shooting addiction is second in worth only to my property. It's taken care of when I croak with gifts to a trusted friend and he will handle the sale of the things he doesn't want for my wife.

cwheel
06-14-2014, 08:08 PM
The powder, primers, propane, acetylene, and BP would be enough in a fire to level the shop and might crater the slab it's on, no RDX or nitro necessary thank you very much. ( or wanted for that matter ) I live close enough to Harter and Hawthorn that in the event of a first strike, we are targets in the first wave of nukes due to what's stored at Hawthorn. I was present for the Roseville Calif. bomb train explosion and fire in the mid 70's, the biggest boom in that event was the propane rail cars, not the 500 lb. bombs being shipped from Hawthorn exploding. From 5 miles away on top of a freeway overpass the concussion was much more than the USS New Jersey firing 16" fire support in VN. Hope it never comes to that, can see why the Feds have a 50 lb. limit on home storage of reloading powder. Inventory would be a good thing for those who will have to follow us and clean up the reloading gear, give them some idea of the value as well.
Chris