PDA

View Full Version : Speed Green

Swamprat1052
01-16-2008, 05:29 PM
I got out and shot the Speed Green Lube I made from Bull Plate Lube as per Bullshops instructions. It did great both in the 45 Long Colt and the 30-30. I think they both shot quite a bit cleaner than they did with Felix Lube (sorry Felix) and showed no sign of leading. I shot the 30-30 up close to 2000 fps with one load. I had a good lube star on the 45.

Its a little easier to make than Felix Lube, except that its harder to get out of my PVC pipe molds than Felix Lube is. Anybody got a better way of making sticks of it? But all in all I like it.

The Felix Lube works great too, its a little harder than what I made up of Speed Green. I added an ounce of Carnauba Wax to the Speed Green cause I shoot in some pretty hot temps. But I always add a little parafin to the Felix Lube too. I have never gotten any leading from either one.

Swamprat

Bullshop
01-16-2008, 09:09 PM
Hear is a tip to make your lube sticks eject easily from the mold. Swab the molds with cold dish water before each pour.
I use Dawn dish soap with a 12 gauge brush wrapped with a cloth patch. Dont worry about the water it will evaporate. This method makes mine about fall out of thier own weight. I dont use pvc but copper instead. Dont know if it will make a differance. I think having the tubes cold and wet is the trick.
BIC/BS

hunter64
01-16-2008, 09:10 PM
I have also tried Speed Green with .44 mag loads, just mild stuff and it worked just fine for me. The carnuba wax that you added, was that the Mother's Carnuba Wax car polish that comes in a round tin?

Swamprat1052
01-16-2008, 10:01 PM
I have also tried Speed Green with .44 mag loads, just mild stuff and it worked just fine for me. The carnuba wax that you added, was that the Mother's Carnuba Wax car polish that comes in a round tin?

No, I found Carnuba wax on E-bay. Just do a search there, theres several folks that sell it. I buy the flakes. I think they sell it 4 oz to the bag.

Thanks for the tip Bullshop, I was gonna email you and ask. I had already thought about rigid copper pipe, I need to find me some. I used vegetable oil swabbed inside the pvc but it didnt seem to help.

Swamprat

PatMarlin
01-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Yeah that Bullshop Daniel guy is pretty special and we got him right here at Cast Boolits... !! ... :Fire: :drinks: :drinks: :Fire:

Bullshop Junior
01-16-2008, 10:57 PM
Yeah that Bullshop Daniel guy is pretty special and we got him right here at Cast Boolits... !! ... :Fire: :drinks: :drinks: :Fire:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=272798)

Who? ME! Is some one talking about ME!?:castmine:
Daniel/BS Jr.

PatMarlin
01-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Who? ME! Is some one talking about ME!?:castmine:
Daniel/BS Jr.

Who are you? We can't see who you are without a pic... :mrgreen:

leftiye
01-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Another possibility the copper pipe presents is to just heat the pipe until the lube slides out.

Bullshop Junior
01-17-2008, 01:06 AM
Who are you? We can't see who you are without a pic... :mrgreen:http://castboolits.gunloads.com/images/buttons/quote.gif (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=272833)

Maybe you atta put on your glasses!:mrgreen:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/th_892e970c.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/?action=view&current=892e970c.jpg)
Here I am. Do you see me now?:roll:
Daniel/BS Jr.

Bullshop
01-17-2008, 01:49 AM
Seems like only yesterday he was that little tike in the picture and now he's bigger n me.
Whodathunkit?
Forgot to mention that I put snow or ice in that dish water. My procedure is to use a large plastic dish pan to catch slop. In that I set a can large enough to hold all my lube tubes. As soon as I eject a lube stick I drop the tube in the cold dish water. When I am ready to refill again I swab them inside with the 12 gauge brush with tight patch wrapped arround it. A quick wipe er two and back on the guides then pour. You can see a frost line come up the tube as its being poured. I think the quick cooling action keeps the lube from setting to the tube. Also the water and soap will not mix with the lube. Give it a try with your pvc tubes and lets hear how it goes.
Gosh Pat I am flattered, I love you too brother!
Blessings on ya!
BIC/BS

jonk
01-17-2008, 10:04 AM
Well, I never bother with molds. I just heat it up in a microwave or double boiler and pour it into the lube sizer. No air bubbles or excess space to squeeze out that way.

If I may take a trick from my candle making efforts though- try putting the mold in the freezer.

Swamprat1052
01-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Daniel, I'll try that next time I make some lube. I guess I better order some more Bull Plate Lube, I'm down to one bottle now and dribblings from the ones I used making lube. But I dont know where I'll get the snow. lol.

Swamprat

PatMarlin
01-17-2008, 11:42 AM
Maybe you atta put on your glasses!:mrgreen:
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/th_892e970c.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/?action=view&current=892e970c.jpg)
Here I am. Do you see me now?:roll:
Daniel/BS Jr.

That's not a bad picture JR, but do you have something a little older in the larger size? We wana see the current Bullshop JR... :mrgreen:

Bullshop Junior
01-17-2008, 01:59 PM
That's not a bad picture JR, but do you have something a little older in the larger size? We wana see the current Bullshop JR... :mrgreen:

Well lets see. Lets try this one. This is the most current photo we have. Hope that clears my identidy. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/us.jpg
The three tall peaple in the middle are me mom and dad. Dad it on the left, me on the right on mom in the middle.
Daniel/BS Jr.

felix
01-17-2008, 02:01 PM
Good pic, Junior. ... felix

PatMarlin
01-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Hey- How come the link won't work for me?

Bullshop Junior
01-17-2008, 03:46 PM
how is this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/us.jpg

Daniel/BS Jr.

PatMarlin
01-17-2008, 03:55 PM
Shows a nice blue box with a question mark in the middle.. :confused:

Bullshop Junior
01-17-2008, 04:01 PM
:mrgreen::-D:mrgreen::-Dare you shure you have your glasses on??? I dont see no blue box.
Daniel/BS Jr.

PatMarlin
01-17-2008, 04:03 PM
You've been breathing to many powder fumes lately.. :mrgreen:

Bullshop Junior
01-17-2008, 04:20 PM
You've been breathing to many powder fumes lately.. :mrgreen:

I dont smoke!:mrgreen:
Daniel/BS Jr.

PatMarlin
01-17-2008, 04:31 PM
That's why it's called "Smokeless".. :roll::mrgreen:

Bullshop
01-17-2008, 04:45 PM
OK back on subject, how about a show of hands. Anyone else making speed green at home and how is it working for you?
BIC/BS

PatMarlin
01-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Well I thought about mixing 1 part Lars lube with speed green and calling it "Carnuba Christmas.. :mrgreen:

Just a thought.. :coffee:

Bullshop Junior
01-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Pat
Now my Dad may get mad because we are off topic but I couldnt help notice. At the bottom of each of your posts it says, Pat Marlin world famous california flake. You shouldnt be so hard on yourself. I think you are a pretty nice guy. Yea a little flakey but still a nice guy.
OK to stay on subject I will give another use for speed green. Dad uses it on the wood stove doors and intake adjusters to keep them free wheeling.
Daniel/BS Jr.

HORNET
01-17-2008, 08:29 PM
How do you like this BS Junior character?? Disappears for 6 months or so then comes back and immediately starts giving Pat a hard time..... I LIKE IT !!!

PatMarlin
01-17-2008, 09:39 PM
Yeah-

What he said. I think?.. :mrgreen:

Bullshop
01-18-2008, 12:52 AM
I give up!!!
BIC/BS

PatMarlin
01-18-2008, 10:27 AM
Sorry to highjack your thread Dan.

Now I see the picture. Daniel JR is just the right size to put to work up here. Where can we buy a few kids like that?.. :mrgreen:

Bullshop
01-18-2008, 01:33 PM
Oh thats OK Pat might as well go with it and have fun now.
Sooner or later more folks will see the light, light green that is!
Blessings
BIC/BS

Swamprat1052
01-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Seems like only yesterday he was that little tike in the picture and now he's bigger n me.
Whodathunkit?
Forgot to mention that I put snow or ice in that dish water. My procedure is to use a large plastic dish pan to catch slop. In that I set a can large enough to hold all my lube tubes. As soon as I eject a lube stick I drop the tube in the cold dish water. When I am ready to refill again I swab them inside with the 12 gauge brush with tight patch wrapped arround it. A quick wipe er two and back on the guides then pour. You can see a frost line come up the tube as its being poured. I think the quick cooling action keeps the lube from setting to the tube. Also the water and soap will not mix with the lube. Give it a try with your pvc tubes and lets hear how it goes.
Gosh Pat I am flattered, I love you too brother!
Blessings on ya!
BIC/BS

Hey Bullshop, I was gonna try your snow and ice solution today. Could you send me some snow? I dont have any.

Swamprat

Bullshop
01-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Excellent!!! I now have a market for snow and ice. When the Good Lord gives his blessing he does it in ways we never would think of. Snow n ice whodathunkit!
Praise God!
BIC/BS

PatMarlin
01-21-2008, 03:18 PM
I can get you snow quicker, cause I'm closer... :mrgreen:

Swamprat1052
01-21-2008, 03:36 PM
LOL. Dang I love this site.

Swamprat

Bullshop
01-21-2008, 04:02 PM
Be careful of the lower quality man made product as it may contain undesirable additives.
There is no acceptable substitute for organic Alaskan ice although I understand Canadian ice may also be of high quality.
We would have to ship in concentrated liquid form. It can be easily reconstituted by placing in your freezer.
Aint nuthin like the real thing baby!
Blessings
BIC/BS

joatmon
01-21-2008, 11:27 PM
Don"t ya love it when they break out in song? Ain't Nuthin Like The Real Thing Baby!!

PatMarlin
01-22-2008, 12:25 AM
OK great, now I'll be hearing that playin' in my head for the rest of the night.. :roll:

Good thing I like motown.. :mrgreen:

Guido4198
01-22-2008, 06:51 AM
OK back on subject, how about a show of hands. Anyone else making speed green at home and how is it working for you?
BIC/BS

When my recent order arrrives...
Put me in the "making my own group"...I just ordered three bottles of the lube, which should go nicely with the Beeswax I got from RandyRat. Now I gotta go find some of that Carnauba wax. I like "Shiny"...!! Using another suggestion from this site , I already polished several molds with toothpaste, so my boolits are "Minty-Fresh".:-D..time to make'em pretty too..!!
Cheers All..
Don

Swamprat1052
01-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Guido, run a search on ebay for the carnauba wax, you can buy it in flakes on there and they disolve pretty quick in the mix.

Swamprat

Bullshop
01-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Guido4198
A tip I have found very helpful in getting a more homogenous blending of ingrediance. Pre melt the carnauba sepperatly then when it is fully melted mix it with the melted beeswax/BP.
The carnauba has a higher melting point than the beeswax so if you try to melt the two together you will be over cooking the beeswax by the time the carnauba is melted.
For our SGC (speed green carnauba) I use 2 oz carnauba flake added to 1 lb speed green. Its not crumbly hard that way but hard enough that it for the most part eliminates the takyness. The SGC will most dephenately require heat added to your lube/sizer.
You could make your lube harder by adding more carnauba but I dont know why anyone would want to. I have shot acww up to 3000 fps with SGC and it left a clean shiney lead free bore. Not to say that best accuracy was at 3000 but was just testing for lube break down of which there apparently was none.
Blessings.
BTW, God willing a bunch of orders should go out later today. Hang in there!
BIC/BS

Calamity Jake
01-22-2008, 03:00 PM
LOL. Dang I love this site.

Swamprat

ME TOOOOOO, ain't it fun?????? [smilie=w:[smilie=w:

Guido4198
01-23-2008, 06:50 AM
I appreciate the suggestion on the best way to make the Speed Green. I didn't realize it wouldtake heat to use. I have an RCBS lubesizer...No heat. Perhaps Speed Green isn't gonna work out after all. Anyone's thoughts, or experiences...??
Thanks,
Guido

Bass Ackward
01-23-2008, 07:39 AM
I appreciate the suggestion on the best way to make the Speed Green. I didn't realize it wouldtake heat to use. I have an RCBS lubesizer...No heat. Perhaps Speed Green isn't gonna work out after all. Anyone's thoughts, or experiences...??
Thanks,
Guido

Don't your wife own an iron? Lean that puppy around the back of the sizer and you got heat. That will start your mind to workin.

hunter64
01-23-2008, 08:50 AM
Just as Bass suggested, that is what I use. I found a flat piece of aluminum (an old sign) and simply drilled the holes for my Lyman sizer to match up with it and mounted it between the bench and my sizer. To use the iron I simply turn it to the highest setting on the iron and just place it down on the piece of aluminum and let it work up for 15 minutes and away I go. You could also put a thin layer of tin foil over the bottom of the iron to keep it clean or when you see the next garage sale with an old iron for a buck pick it up.

Swamprat1052
01-23-2008, 09:50 AM
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q151/Swamprat_photos/StarSizer.jpg

This set up works for me. I bought the aluminum at a scrap yard.

Swamprat

Bullshop
01-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Guido
The speed green without carnaube will not require heat to flow under normal pressure in the lube reservior. The speed green with carnaube (SGC) will need heat.
I may not have been clear on that point.
I personally use speed green without carnauba. The carnaube does not enhance the performance of the lube. The only reason we make SGC is for folks that have been asking for a hard lube. Some folks just can not tollerate the tackyness of soft lube.
The one advantage I can see in the SGC over speed green would be in extreamly hot weather, but rarley a problem here.
Blessings
BIC/BS