PDA

View Full Version : First time out with cast boolits

kenn
06-12-2014, 11:21 AM
I took my .4525-sized Lee .452-200SWC loads to the range today and fired a total of about 25. I was in a bit of a rush so I wasn't careful with shot placement so that'll have to wait on the next round. I didn't have time to disassemble and closely inspect the barrel for leading so I stopped at 25. I inspected every ejected case for any signs of pressure or other issues and they were all none the worse for wear. Here's what I cast/shot:

.452-200SWC Lee from a 6 cavity
Sized in .452 Lee Sizer with very light Alox before sizing and very light Alox after
3.7gr Bullseye for 1/2 of the loads; 4.0gr of Bullseye for second half.
COAL was set so that the top of the band was maybe .003 or so above the case mouth. Average about 1.208-1.210.
Crimp to .470 was impossible. Crimp ended up at .472 to .473.

All 25 fed and fired cleanly. NO jams, FTF, stovepipes, etc. Slide locked back every time. Couldn't really tell much difference in 3.7 and 4.0. Seemed accurate and I don't believe they tumbled but will need more time on accuracy with load. I experimented with dummy rounds quite a bit to get the dies set to a reliable feed on dummies. That surely paid off.

Will inspect for leading tonight and will load up some more and probably try 3.6 and 3.8gr of Bullseye and this time sand bag it to 15 yards for accuracy testing.

Next up, White Label Lube and PC bullets to test...

62chevy
06-12-2014, 11:29 AM
How did the 3.7 grains feel, light recoil or did it just barely work. Been thinking of going to 3.5 grains with Bullseye for plinking and target use. 4 grains still had a good felt recoil with my 200 grain flat round nose Lee.

kenn
06-12-2014, 12:48 PM
62 - I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference between 3.7 and 4.0. I may just try a spread of 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8 on a bench with a sandbag so I can gauge accuracy without my in the mix. Overall it was solid and I put a total of 15 of those down range in my first test. Will report back after next loading and testing session though it'll likely be a week or two at best.

62chevy
06-12-2014, 03:05 PM
62 - I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference between 3.7 and 4.0. I may just try a spread of 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8 on a bench with a sandbag so I can gauge accuracy was solid and put a total of 15 of those down range in my first test. Will report back after next loading and testing session though it'll likely be a week or two at best.

That is what I was thinking of doing but backwards starting at 4 grs down to 3.5. I know 4 grs works but not how accurate it is. If I can hit the black at 25 yards with 3.5 grains it'll be a keeper. 4.6 gr is very accurate but has a healthy recoil.

Certaindeaf
06-12-2014, 04:18 PM
"Don't know if they tumbled" and "Will sandbag it out to 15 yards (!)".. dood

kenn
06-12-2014, 07:39 PM
"Don't know if they tumbled" and "Will sandbag it out to 15 yards (!)".. dood

Ok, that sounds wrong... Basically what I'm saying is to create a controlled environment -- i.e. no way to flinch, pull a little, etc., at 7 and 15 on a bag to get a very good read on accuracy from minor changes in charge. I have no problem off hand with very small groups. In fact, mine were small enough that it was a torn large hole in the target which means I can't tell if any tumbled. BUT no matter how good YOU think you are, your grip and aim will never be as solid as one that simply can't move... If you want repeatable results, you remove variables, "dood". I'm not going to buy a stand which would completely eliminate shooter variability, but a bag is a fairly close second.

Shiloh
06-13-2014, 03:15 PM
That is what I was thinking of doing but backwards starting at 4 grs down to 3.5. I know 4 grs works but not how accurate it is. If I can hit the black at 25 yards with 3.5 grains it'll be a keeper. 4.6 gr is very accurate but has a healthy recoil.

I settled at 4.0. 3.5 would cycle but just barely. I lighter spring would have fixed it. 3.7 cycles the factory weight spring. I currently have a broken in 17# spring and have no issues at 4.0-4.2 gr. of Bullseye. Mild and accurate. I have taken them up to 5.0 grains, but recoils was stout.

Shiloh

bruce381
06-14-2014, 12:20 AM
i shoot same boolit with 4.5 gr bulleye

62chevy
06-14-2014, 09:23 AM
I settled at 4.0. 3.5 would cycle but just barely. I lighter spring would have fixed it. 3.7 cycles the factory weight spring. I currently have a broken in 17# spring and have no issues at 4.0-4.2 gr. of Bullseye. Mild and accurate. I have taken them up to 5.0 grains, but recoils was stout.

Shiloh

i shoot same boolit with 4.5 gr bulleye

I need something my wife will shoot as she is recoil sensitive and didn't like 4 gr of Bullseye.