PDA

View Full Version : Class 6 FFL

Red Ork
06-12-2014, 04:54 AM
First post here, but I have been lurking for months reading tons of threads on "i want to start selling my bullets" and reading up on Hi-Tek coatings.

I am at the jumping off point in my start up and two questions I cant seem to find any satisfying answers to so far are:
How long is the process currently taking for a new class 6 ffl? and how long does ITAR take?

Thanks everyone.

kweidner
06-12-2014, 05:35 AM
Whole process takes around 9 months. I started mine march a year ago and was able to sell ammo by november of last year. Lots of hoops and red tape but really doable. Must have business license prior to applying for ffl so you waste nine months of it. Good time to do load resrearch etc.

Red Ork
06-12-2014, 11:32 AM
. Must have business license prior to applying for ffl so you waste nine months of it.

WOW! This part is contrary to what the atf wrote. On their website it says
"approve or, depending on the circumstances, disapprove an application within a 60-day period which begins with the day your application is received."
and then on the application itslef it states
"Within 30 days after the application is approved, the business will comply with the requirements of State and local law applicable to the conduct of business"

I kinda figured the above might not be fully accurate, but WOW! Has anyone managed to get it done in less time?

Did anyone else need their county business license first? or did anyone obtain it after starting the ffl process?

In my county to get a business license I first need a commercial lease for a property with the proper zoning, they won't grant me a business license for my home address. Obvously I dont want to be paying rent on property for months before I can begin selling boolits.

dverna
06-12-2014, 12:02 PM
It really is a shame that they have placed so many hurdles in the way. I retired a couple of years ago and would love to make a little money on the side casting and reloading. I do not like casting, so I would buy a Master Caster or similar but I enjoy reloading.

By the time you get all the paperwork and look at the costs (do not forget insurance) it is not a sideline business anymore.

Good luck. I wish you success.

Don Verna

David2011
06-12-2014, 03:19 PM
Am I the only one who thinks the ITAR license is a back door attack on the Second Amendment? Cast bullets no longer have any military application as far as I am aware. I intend to have a visit with my US Representative about it. He's 2A friendly. I think we could do with a certification that we are not exporting and would be willing to pay a small fee for such a certification. Ten bucks every four years, concurrent with the FFL is plenty IMO. I'm not sure the State Department (originally the Department of Foreign Affairs) has a legitimate legal interest unless exporting is involved. As long as ITAR is applicable I am not going to try to cast commercially. I know a couple of people who do. They have to sell a load of boolits just to pay for the licenses. At 2.35/lb for 92/6/2 and $80/K retail (180 grains), about 60,000 boolits would have to be sold just to pay for the licenses every year. That's not bad if the company makes 20,000/day but for a guy that would like to legally help a few friends and make a LITTLE profit it's impractical. I just offer to teach people how to cast nowadays.

David

Red Ork
09-16-2014, 01:31 AM
Not to revive a zombie thread, but just thought I'd update in case anyone ever does a search for this question again.

From mailing to the ATF caling for my interview was 3 weeks almost to the day. After doing my interview the nice inspector lady needs me to send her a copy of my lease and then she will get the license sent out.

Red Ork
09-16-2014, 01:33 AM
Cast bullets no longer have any military application as far as I am aware

I am following up with my lawyer, but at least one person has claimed the language about 'signifigant military equipment' means cast lead boolits are exempt.

Oleman
09-16-2014, 10:49 AM
It really is a shame that they have placed so many hurdles in the way. I retired a couple of years ago and would love to make a little money on the side casting and reloading. I do not like casting, so I would buy a Master Caster or similar but I enjoy reloading.

By the time you get all the paperwork and look at the costs (do not forget insurance) it is not a sideline business anymore.

Good luck. I wish you success.

Don Verna

I just wonder what part of shall not infringe they don't understand?

ProfGAB101
09-16-2014, 11:16 PM
A Type 06 ( no such animal as a class 6 ) FFL to me is a bad idea. For a few dollars more you can get a Type 07 firearms and ammunition manufactures license. Which also allows you to ship / receive and sell firearms just like any other "dealer".

Been there, done that - had an type 07 FFL for 12 years.

As for ITAR - it is incredibly broad in its coverage, ie - You make boot length shoe laces - technically that is covered under ITAR, are they going to hunt you down for that... Not unless you give them good reason.

But the stupid thing about ITAR is the fee - it costs how much??? just to register your business with the Dept. of State, how many moron government employees does it take to file a registration form.

ITAR should be just like filing for an EIN# It shouldn't cost ANYTHING prior to requesting an export permit.

Red Ork
09-17-2014, 01:20 PM
I debated doing the type 7, but I just want to specialize in one thing for now. This will be a 2 day a week deal around my day job to start.
I figure I can always get the other later.