PDA

View Full Version : Sizing Dies

sapper_eng
06-12-2014, 12:38 AM
Hey all. New to casting, just smelted my first ingots and have a question about sizing.

When it comes to sizing dies, can they be used in any press? IE if I were to go out an purchase a Lee Single Stage Press, will that work fine with their sizing dies or do I need to purchase a Lube Sizer press? And do dies from one manufacturer work in presses from other manufacturers?

beppe
06-12-2014, 12:55 AM
Hello guys !! I using a lee sizing die and a lyman 4500 ,but I say that the lee sizer dies do a good job and fast.For me, the boolits in the 4500 are just the most beautiful.. :lovebooli

Mk42gunner
06-12-2014, 01:45 AM
Lee sizing dies will screw into and work on most reloading presses that are threaded for the standard 7/8-14. All they will do is size the bullet, no lubricating, so you will have to either pan or tumble lube.

If you want to lube and size at the same time, you will have to get a lubrisizer. The Lyman and RCBS dies will interchange, but no one else's (except maybe some old Herter's).

Robert

220swiftfn
06-12-2014, 01:48 AM
Hey all. New to casting, just smelted my first ingots and have a question about sizing.

When it comes to sizing dies, can they be used in any press? IE if I were to go out an purchase a Lee Single Stage Press, will that work fine with their sizing dies or do I need to purchase a Lube Sizer press? And do dies from one manufacturer work in presses from other manufacturers?

Assuming that you're talking about a bullet sizing die, yes, the Lee push-through will work with ANY standard thread press (it's 7/8"-14).

OTHER sizing dies only work with "lubri-sizers", but there's some interchangeability there......

Lyman and RCBS sizing dies will usually work in either maker's machines (tho I did have to slim down an RCBS for one of my Lyman 45's, but MOST fit...)

Saeco dies are proprietary to Saeco lubers.....

Star dies are also proprietary.....

Dan

dragon813gt
06-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Star dies work in Ballisticast lubesizers.