PDA

View Full Version : Groove diameter and throat diameter are equal.

Animal
06-11-2014, 07:56 PM
1. I just picked up a Charter Arms Target Bulldog chambered in .44spl. Groove diameter slugs at .431. Throat diameter slugs at .431. Hmmm, I'm supposing a gunsmith could work the throats to slug at .432 or .433? Any input you can give on this would be great.

2. Who has boolit suggestions for this puppy? The main purpose I bought it for was so that my wife can have a revolver with a big and slow bullet. Not a carry gun, just a gun to keep near by for the days that I'm not around. I'd love for her to familiarize herself with my .45acp, but she prefers the simplicity of revolvers.

3. One more question... Is it SOP for gunsalesman to push you to by .44 magnums when you insist that .44spl is what you want? Sheeeeesh!

RobS
06-11-2014, 08:03 PM
If shooting jacketed you are ok and you could make a .431 groove diameter shoot a .431 boolit but you will have to rely on obturation to prevent leading or using a gas check would help. If shooting cast is going to be something that you plan on doing a bit of then I would send your cylinder out to have the throats reamed. DougGuy on the forum here has done some 44's but I don't know what he reams 44's to regards to diameter. Send him a PM. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?29606-DougGuy

For your wife, I would probably stay in the 240-250 grain area (possibly less depending on how your wife shoots different weights etc.) for a bullet/boolit as heavier will increase recoil and pressures.

IraqVet1982
06-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Is it SOP for gunsalesman to push you to by .44 magnums when you insist that .44spl is what you want? Sheeeeesh!

In my experience the plumbing guy at home depot knows more about plumbing that the gun guy at the gun store.

Sorry I can't help with the rest of the questions...

Animal
06-11-2014, 08:16 PM
In my experience the plumbing guy at home depot knows more about plumbing that the gun guy at the gun store.

Sorry I can't help with the rest of the questions...

LOL I was thinking something similar. I wanted to explain to the guy that I already have a fine Super Redhawk, but I wanted a dedicated gun with a 4in barrel instead of always using an artillery piece to send a 240gr boolit flying. But, I figured it would be a waste of time.

Animal
06-11-2014, 08:22 PM
RobS, thanks for the link you provided. Yes, it will only shoot cast from here on. I did put 50 rounds of JHP ammo from the store through it, just to help smooth the barrel and make sure the gun works properly. I thought the recoil was very mild, much like my medium range .45acp loads. But, 180gr JHP was all the store had, so the light bullet might have accounted for its smooth recoil. I am glad to hear that you recommend the 240gr weight. I've got bunches of those boolits laying around the house.

DougGuy
06-11-2014, 08:28 PM
Have you already chosen a boolit and a size for this Charter Arms? I can size one to .432" or .4325" easy enough.

Animal
06-11-2014, 08:31 PM
DougGuy, I just sent you a PM before I saw your message. No, I have not yet settled on a boolit. I only have 240 grainers at the moment, so I figured I'd start with those and decide whether I need to decrease boolit weight. Oh, and I already have .432 Lee sizing die.

DougGuy
06-11-2014, 08:40 PM
DougGuy, I already have .432 Lee sizing die.

Those bad boys are scarce! Custom made for Ranch Dog, as I have one myself.

JSnover
06-11-2014, 08:53 PM
3. One more question... Is it SOP for gunsalesman to push you to by .44 magnums when you insist that .44spl is what you want? Sheeeeesh!

It's pretty common. Probably sounded like this: "The special is nice but in a couple of months you're gonna wish you bought the magnum."

Animal
06-11-2014, 09:02 PM
Those bad boys are scarce! Custom made for Ranch Dog, as I have one myself.

I found one on ebay a while back. I was wanting to cast for my Super Redhawk, but I have yet to do it. Now that I have this Bulldog, I'm glad I got it when I did.

Animal
06-11-2014, 09:06 PM
It's pretty common. Probably sounded like this: "The special is nice but in a couple of months you're gonna wish you bought the magnum."

I'm glad he didn't say that, considering I already have a .44 magnum. He wouldn't have realized the can of worms he was opening. Shooting specials from a magnum is always fun and easy, but carting the extra size and weight around tends to feel like overkill for me.

GLL
06-11-2014, 09:58 PM
Have you ever seen a gun store salesman who has actually shot a .44Special revolver?
Some of the older gunsmiths in the back room... yes, but young salesmen out front...no !

Jerry

35remington
06-11-2014, 10:08 PM
First rule of gun dimensioning:

Don't change anything until you've shot it as is first. If problems possibly attributable to dimensions arise, THEN consider modification.

Right now you don't know anything.

44 Special recoil can be snappy in the Charters. If wifey is recoil shy, mild loads may be necessary.

If the gun is regulated for 240ish grain bullets, lighter bullets may hit low. How about a wadcutter (hard to find but possible to get from some makers) for this gun? Me....I'd find a wadcutter and a standard 240ish grain SWC like the 429421. Nothing like the worth of a heavy bullet with a good meplat. A Keith type SWC and a wadcutter are candidates that have both characteristics.

h8dirt
06-12-2014, 06:18 AM
Animal, good choice in the 44 Special. It is my favorite handgun caliber (and I have many). You will be able to load light recoiling ammo for Wifey's practice. Once you get set up and running, I'll bet that you add to your "portfolio" of 44 Specials!

Bigslug
06-12-2014, 09:15 AM
Sounds like a job for a .431 sizer, a soft alloy, and a fast-ish powder to me. Less than .001 upset in base diameter shouldn't even be a slight problem, but if it really makes you lay awake nights, you could track down a hollow base mold.

Outpost75
06-12-2014, 10:52 AM
Throat same size as groove is no issue. The problem is when throats are smaller than groove, when shooting lead.

With jacketed ammo, having revolver throats the same as bullet enough smaller than bullet diameter to provide guidance, aids accuracy, even when smaller than groove size, because the tops of the lands guide the bullet and minor gas leakage does not cause issues, as it would with lead. Cases in point are 9mm and .45 ACP revolvers.

Tatume
06-12-2014, 10:55 AM
1. I just picked up a Charter Arms Target Bulldog chambered in .44spl. Groove diameter slugs at .431. Throat diameter slugs at .431. ... Any input you can give on this would be great.

Sounds perfect. Don't touch it.

Larry Gibson
06-12-2014, 11:54 AM
Animal

You have the best of both worlds there. Contrary to popular myth a revolvers throats and bullets do not need to be larger than barrel groove diameter. Having both the same is excellent. Load up some softer cast bullets, load them to standard 44 SPL velocity/psi's and go shooting. I find the Lee TL430-240-SWC or the lighter 429-200-FN loaded over 5 gr Bullseye are excellent 44 SPL loads. Both of my Lee moulds drop the bullets right at .431 with softer alloys that have sufficient tin in them.

Larry Gibson