PDA

View Full Version : Idle Maunderings

Digital Dan
06-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Been visiting this site for some time and recently began to post now and again. Reading more than contributing and stealing the nuggets of insight for my own enterprises and there have been more than a few.

Started casting a few years ago, feeding a couple of BP bench guns, one of .40 caliber the other of .50 caliber. I backed into the high end of the art without knowing it at the time and it seemed perfectly normal to me then. Ignorance is bliss, really and truly. Early on I ran a batch of bullets for the .40 and had some discussion with some gurus of that black art. My weight distribution was on the order of .3% of 350 grains, or about 1.05 grains for 50 bullets. I was immediately brutalized for my liberal ways and informed that an acceptable spread for that sample was .3 grains. Wow. That hurt my feelers.

It was however an achievable objective and not that difficult to reach, or at least get close enough that weighing and sorting left me with not too many culls. It is with such diligence that archaic guns can challenge new fangled contraptions at surprisingly long ranges. It was about a year later when I began feeding my .25-20 Win. Etc., etc, etc, etc. Part and parcel of that was increasingly frequent visits to this site and a few other select sites which cater to the black art of bullet casting.

I think I've been here long enough to start sorting out the personality of the site and flow with some of the more active members. Certainly long enough to irritate a few, that's easy enough to do, hey? The reason I'm posting what follows is simple and relates directly to the on again, off again agony proselytized by dogmatic contention over issues that, in my opinion, are largely irrelevant to most of us. It is not that each side of the debate is wrong, because they aren't. Not even a little bit. If anything, they are mutually supportive if the objective is to produce cast bullets capable of performance equal to modern production. Yes, I mean jacketed bullets. I am not afraid of that turn of phrase any more than a Stephen King novel. The question however, is do I want to chase that ant? For me, personally, the answer is no, and here's why:

The slug guns are fairly large bore muzzle loaders which use false muzzles. One uses cross strip paper patch and both use pure lead or very thin lead/tin alloy, this on the order of 60:1. This class of firearm is typically large bore, the bullets are heavy but the twists slow. 14-18" twists probably serve 90% or more of the class and a 16" twist probably does over 60% by itself. Velocity is commonly in the range of high subsonic at the muzzle and targets are anywhere from 200 yards and up. Bullet fit in the throat, concentricity and rpm are not issues.

The other iteration of casting that I do stems from several circumstances of late. I can, with the assistance of a melting pot and ladle, feed guns for which ammo is either not available or readily available. Some are not beset by the issue mentioned previously by my own choosing and others, largely by their nature. Black powder cartridges do not spin quickly. For repeaters there are necessary considerations of fit that might not allow for the same complimentary geometry as smokeless guns and fodder. This is not to say they can't shoot well, but it is a different sort of ant being chased here, not the 3,000 fps version. In some cases even the smokeless cartridges do not generate a lot of theatrics or velocity and they shoot well without a convoluted dress rehearsal. Lastly, loading cast bullets is cheaper than any other alternative, to include the lowly .22 RF in many circumstances of late. Anyone priced a box of top end .22 match ammo from Yurp lately. Holy Cows...

And my flint lock can shoot most anything that fits reasonably well, to include marbles, so there.

So, in the spirit of making a long post longer....

I started shooting in the '50s with a Benjamin air rifle. It was followed by a .410 H&R Topper (Geesh, I wish they still made them that well) and so on and so forth. Before I ever owned a "real" rifle the Big Green Machine gave me a M-16 and a Minigun, assigned me to the Group W Bench and said "You're our boy!" After a spell in the tropics I was offered a 3 screw Blackhawk, holster and a ton of reloading equipment for a paltry $125.00. Sold! It was the start of an attack on my financial well being that rages even today and for which a vaccination remains non-existent. I struggle to bear such burdens but have not given up hope.

One of the whims that struck me about 16 years ago was having a .22 short shooter. Seemed like the perfect tool for squirrel, and it is. It is also close to perfect for hogs, but I'd actually prefer a repeater than a single shot. It is, nonetheless, one of but 4 guns I do not reload, all .22 RF shooters. The others range from .17-.50 caliber, use lead bullets, shot or jacketed bullets as I deem appropriate. My passion for chasing the HV ant with jacketed bullets has waned of late, not because of need, but more of desire and understanding what can be done with more pedestrian loads and lead bullets. There is a stuck thread here that proclaims something to the effect that cast bullets are the best....well, I agree to large degree, but there are places I won't go with cast bullets. Not so much because I can't, but rather that I am not willing to reinvent the wheel. I can whack anything that walks in North America and most to the world with average cast bullets. Not everything, just most of it. I'm not interested in building cast bullet ammo for autoloaders or for that matter, belt fed guns. That ant runs on rocket fuel...

I don't have to build bullets that I can drive at warp speed to hit my target. I do not have to build bullets capable of minute of gnats *** for most of my guns. Soft lead driven and pedestrian velocity will kill anything if well placed...ask the buffalo or better yet, Billy Dixon.

By now you're probably wondering if there's any point to this? Well, yes.

The point is that this is a very useful website that we all profit from in many ways. We profit from the contributions, not the acrimony. I have disagreed with internet dogma more than once, but it is rarely productive to address that with a hammer. My dogma on this is simple: Everyone knows something I don't.

That is all,

Dan

aspangler
06-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Well said. After 45 years of reloading cast and jacketed, I can say that you NEVER stop learning and sometimes need advise from those that have " Been there done that". I can help some people. You can help others and they in turn can help others. To each his ( or her ) own. Put God first, others second and yourself last and you have found happiness. Just my .02 cents.

Wayne Smith
06-12-2014, 08:01 AM
Dan, I had to read anything with the word "maunderings" in the title! While I do not have all your experience (I'm jealous of those slug guns! paper cross strip, wow. I read Ned Roberts) I have designed a boolit for my 10.5x47R cape gun and shoot that, am casting for my 25-20, 32-20, pistols, and revolvers, shooting cast from my 405 Win, and will be playing with a .25KragAI later this year. I agree with your analysis of the board, we all learn from one another and when we think we are the only right one we start on the downhill roll. We are very much nitch players, what works in my nitch may not work in yours. Unfortunately we tend to write as if my nitch is the only one that counts and not specify which nitch I am talking about in my titles or writings.

Digital Dan
06-12-2014, 09:05 AM
Wayne, the Cape Gun has a spot in my heart. Had one of Belgian manufacture for many years, and oddball of sorts. .405 Win/12 bore, Jones underlever with exposed hammers. Buffalo horn buttplate...someone else wanted it more than me I guess. When it came into my hands the odds on finding .405 Win. ammo was about 4 gallion to 1 against, but I managed to make it thump with lead. Great cartridge!

Larry Gibson
06-12-2014, 12:04 PM
Dan

Appreciate the "maunderings" and found them delightful. I think you would find that even with those of us who chase the HV "ant" with cast bullets most of our cast bullet shooting is with the same type "standard" loads as you espouse. It is in "chasing the HV ant" that we learn much about cast bullets and what happens to them when we shoot them. That is how we advance our knowledge and abilities. For those of us who want to anyway.....for those who don't that is okay too.

I can whack anything that walks in North America and most to the world with average cast bullets.........Soft lead driven and pedestrian velocity will kill anything if well placed...ask the buffalo or better yet, Billy Dixon.

This is very true but if that was "good enough" then knowing that early man killed everything that walked the earth with cliffs and sticks having sharp stone points on them why wouldn't that "be good enough"? Having read about everything I could find about Billy Dixon including his own writings I think he really would have appreciated and preferred a good 30-06, .300 Win Mag, .338 Win Mag or even the 375 H&H to his BP smokepoles............

I concur that "new" or faster" does not always make it better or make it advantageous but sometimes it does. Just a few short maunderings of my own.......no argument here just pointing out a bit of an opposite view.

Larry Gibson

TenTea
06-12-2014, 12:31 PM
It's Willie Dixon for me... ;-)

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0001/402/MI0001402055.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

dverna
06-12-2014, 12:34 PM
Early on I got hammered on this site for suggesting jacketed bullets might be better than cast. I still believe that. I see no need to spend the effort to find a cast bullet load for my .300 Win Mag when there are scores of excellent jacketed bullets that give better accuracy at higher velocity than most of us can hope to achieve with cast bullets in that cartridge.

But my pistol caliber lever actions have never seen a jacketed bullet. Then there are the cartridges in between that can go both ways easily (like the .30/30). The last group are calibers like the .308 that need a tad more effort to match factory ballistics or can be shot as "plinkers" with little effort.

Many of the most vitriol characters suffer from thinking that their type of shooting or way of doing things is the only "right" way. These "gentlemen" lack the overall knowledge that the guru's here exhibit. Claims of performance - especially accuracy - are based on sloppy testing and insufficient data that render their ramblings worse than useless. I wonder how many newbies have fallen down the rabbit hole.

Still, I agree with you Dan. This is a great site. Once a member has been around for a while they know who to listen to.

Regrettably, I have noticed some very talented and knowledgeable individuals who no longer post here. I trust the rabble has not driven them off but wonder why they left. I suppose after seeing a bazillion "My 9mm leads" threads interest is lost.

Good post

Don Verna

TenTea
06-12-2014, 12:48 PM
Posting again in hopes of becoming useful.
I'm a simple fellow.
In my .308 match rifles, I utilize some lovely little jewels known as Nosler Custom Competition.
I haven't gotten around to shooting cast in them...yet.
For all else, it's smelt / cast / size / lube / load / fire!
So far, this works for me and also allows me to have something to look forward to when I run out of Noslers at some date far in the future. HAHA!
I really enjoy this site and thanks to those who patiently share their knowledge and time.

Hamish
06-12-2014, 12:57 PM
I hear you loud and clear Dan,the more I learn, the less I know,,,,,,,,

BruceB
06-12-2014, 01:08 PM
Don, I'm sorry to hear that you suffered abuse from"some people".

With the enormous membership we have, there is bound to be a small faction that supports ANY conceivable position that will arise. The group that says "Cast bullets are BETTER than jacketed " is one of these factions.

Once smokeless powder began reaching the general shooting public over a century ago, it was quickly found that straight-lead bullets were not up to the stresses imposed. Those intervening years have seen thousands of designs and millions of dollars devoted to finding bullets that WILL withstand the stress , and will deliver the performance desired.

I am a devoted user of the very best game bullets I can find.... lately, the Barnes TSX has gotten my nod. However, that usage amounts to a bare handful of bullets in the usual year. I also fire a number of less-expensive jacketed loads in my battle rifles, just to keep them (and myself) current with full-power ammo.

But, I generally fire THOUSANDS of cast loads! For pure fun, for a sense of accomplishment, for a source of experiments to satisfy curiosity, you name it..... for such purposes, cast bullets are SUPERIOR.

There's plainly a place in our shooting for both cast and jacketed.... to deny this, or to take some ridiculously-dogmatic position in favor of one or the other, is simply foolish.

62chevy
06-12-2014, 01:46 PM
First time I ever heard casting a Black Art but hey it really is one.

A lot of the posters I listen to have posted on this thread. Anyways great ramblings.

Digital Dan
06-12-2014, 02:52 PM
Larry, no debate on your points at all. Were it not for test pilots we would still be flying stick and fabric biplanes. Meant to mention previously, by virtue of the writings here, if I were inclined to push lead hard I could. I've been so far down do many trails with many types of smokeless/jacketed shooters I know enough to recognize the reason for the yawn. Don't think I'll discard my slow powders or copper clad bullets for all that. I refer to my Rigby as a truck gun rather than a DGR gun because there are more trucks hereabouts than Cape buffalo. Monolithic bullets are just the ticket.

Larry Gibson
06-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Digital Dan

Don't think I'll discard my slow powders or copper clad bullets for all that. I refer to my Rigby as a truck gun rather than a DGR gun because there are more trucks hereabouts than Cape buffalo. Monolithic bullets are just the ticket.

I do like the way you think:guntootsmiley:

Larry Gibson

Junior1942
06-12-2014, 04:19 PM
First, Muddy Waters rules. Second, the NOE RCBS 30-180-FN @ 205 grs RTL works great in my SKS @1700 fps. Third, you couldn't pay me $100,000 to hunt the hogs in my woods with a 22 short!

fivegunner
06-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Just Like Larry said , (I like the way you think) And I bet I could learn something from your experiences. so please post away.:D

Digital Dan
06-12-2014, 05:09 PM
First, Muddy Waters rules. Second, the NOE RCBS 30-180-FN @ 205 grs RTL works great in my SKS @1700 fps. Third, you couldn't pay me $100,000 to hunt the hogs in my woods with a 22 short!

You think that's weird, I know folks that use knives and spears. They be nutz. Keep telling them if they were really brave they'd try a gaff.

I don't require payment, but if you want to take care of my mortgage? As said earlier, lead well placed does the trick, hardly matters what style. For the record, I use CCI CB shorts and that is the reason I sometimes shoot more than 1 without taking a step. They are effective beyond 10,000 mm. At closer distances they seem immune to gravity and wind

.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/sofa_zps0e5c6086.gif (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/sofa_zps0e5c6086.gif.html)

JSAND
06-12-2014, 05:36 PM
I really enjoyed reading this thread. I currently cast foreverything I shoot but have not understood the general hate from some towardsjacketed bullets. I myself don't cast and load my own to show that I can matchor exceed their jacketed counterparts, admittedly I don't cast for 5.56 or30-06 because at this time I don't own either. I do for my .243 and have beenexperimenting with a Mosin, just haven't found the time to really devote to itto come up with the load I want to use in it. I got into casting for the simplereason that I wanted to be able to restrict what I needed to get from others asmuch as possible and still be able to shoot. I own several cap and ball pistolsand smoke poles and plan on expanding on those. I know that my boolits and loadsin my 30-30 will work on deer and I can shoot pretty much as much as I wantwith all my pistols, rifles and shotguns. I just enjoy casting and reloadingand shooting my own loads, but I would never tell anyone that they are wrong orthat they shouldn't shoot jacketed bullets if that is what they want to do. Iam not a real smart man, a lot of times a lot of the guys are talking over myhead about a lot of things, I don't post much on here but I read a lot. I agreewith fivegunner, post away.

Digital Dan
06-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Since I'm here, I will show you a .17 cal that I will cast for eventually. Built by a fellow named Paul Neubrand back around the '20s, give'r take. It is a curious creature indeed. The class of guns is called Zimmerstutzen and they were and remain popular for parlor shooting and competition in Europe. There are many different configurations, but this one is mine.

It shoots .17 caliber lead BBs, propelled by 4mm rimfire blanks. No powder, just primer. I suppose it proper to say I did not shoot this target, but will add that it was fired at 50', offhand.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Zimmer/7920accc-8f14-4afb-b8a9-cecb45156e73_zps6ab02f4e.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/Zimmer/7920accc-8f14-4afb-b8a9-cecb45156e73_zps6ab02f4e.jpg.html)

The gun is a falling block, but it does not cock on opening. The rear trigger cocks the action and the front fires it. The pull can be measured in a very few ounces. The sight is a magnifying diopter and is adjustable for focus. All up weight is about 8 pounds. The sub caliber barrel is 8" long, .177 in the groove and has a twist of about 1:7.5", 12 lands and grooves.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Zimmer/IMG_3159_zps839876ba.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/Zimmer/IMG_3159_zps839876ba.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Zimmer/IMG_3156_zps3e648c46.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/Zimmer/IMG_3156_zps3e648c46.jpg.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/muddler/Guns/Zimmer/IMG_3158_zpsb4d0745c.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/muddler/media/Guns/Zimmer/IMG_3158_zpsb4d0745c.jpg.html)

I mentioned casting for this one. Actually have a conical mould for it and it is basically a RB form on front and extends 1 caliber front to rear with a flat base. Both BB's and the conical shoot 800 fps give or take a couple FPS. Given the twist I may go for one of more conventional cast bullet form of about 20 grains weight. I have no idea why. Probably this incurable disease I have?

We all chase ants of our own design and making.

Dan

41mag
06-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Hey I think we all ramble on every once in a while and it is good to clear out the cob webs of sort. I'm another that finds your approach interesting, as well as amusing. It brings about memories of talks I had with older fellows in the past.

Myself, I figure I am still in the wading pool so to speak. I started coming in here a goodly while back reading this that and the other, then asked a few questions once in a GREAT while usually about powder or some hair brained idea I had.

Once I made the decision to cast it was due to feeding my 454, and well it was the perpetual snowball off the mountain top. I got my feet under me with some great help and correspondence from members here. As such I blame them for my infection....:mrgreen:

Like you, I am not looking for the top end velocity I can drive a rifle bullet, well yet anyway. I shoot my revolvers nearly every weekend, and I love to hunt with them as well. I have had no issue reaching out with a couple of them in the past to 100yds or more on feral hogs which I also love to shoot. That said, I started off with the RFN designs and after some hogs that I felt should have dropped, simply disappeared, I decided to concentrate more on the HP versions. As you can imagine there are 100 ways to pour them with about as many different combinations of alloy that work well for "others". But as you and others have mentioned, I have my own wants, needs, and desires. Also getting into this as late as I did, there wan't much of an avenue for dirt cheap to free lead that I could have had if I had started years ago.

I have however made due, even if I DID purchase much of the alloy I have. I got plenty from a wonderful ol fellow who went by Muddy Creek Sam. I doubt I am alone in saying he is sorely missed. He was a grate fellow and did right by the folks who he sold lead to. I purchased nearly half a ton or more from him in the Iso Cores. It is wonderful alloy to pour with, and it makes the most beautiful solids, and if blended right makes HP's that preform simply mind blowing.

I worked with it until I now have several variations of which I could just as easily rework from alloy purchased from Rotometals. The point I guess is that with it being a 1/3/96 on average, it wasn't something that quite a few folks figured would work out well for HP's due to the antimony. Well I found if you dumb it down with pure a bit, then bring in a bit more tin, it simply rolls back like nobodies business. Nice round mushrooms that would make Remington proud.

So keep it up, work on your own pace and ideas, and if they keep you happy well thats all that really matters. My boss asked me why I don't shave or keep my hair trimmed up nice and tight for years. My reply was always, well there are only two folks I have to keep happy. One cooks my supper and the other looks back at me in the mirror. Other than that, well I am not overly concerned.

rking22
06-12-2014, 08:34 PM
That is a beautiful piece of art! I also find this to be a wonderful site. The knowledge is freely shared, and quite varied and there is something here for everyone. I find myself spending more time reading here than I probably should for that very reason. My interests are not in the mainstream nowadays so posts like your zimmerstutsen really make my day!