PDA

View Full Version : OK A Little Humor for the Weekend!!!11

moodyholler
09-11-2005, 08:31 PM
I decided to fire up Coleman and melt down about 600 pounds of Lead sheeting this evening after reading some of your posts about casting set ups. I put my little 6 pound Lachmiller pot on it and pump up the generator and light it off. 1 hour later I am barely melting a pound or two!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm thinking man these people are nuts to melt this way. So I look at flame closely and it seems a little low and I pump it up some more. FLame stays the same. SO I put a new generator in a and WOWOWOWOW it melts about 6 pounds in no time flat! Managed to melt a =bout 26 pounds in an hour and will work on it some more on Wed. Thanks for all the info!!!!!!!!!!!1 moodyholler

imashooter2
09-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Congrats on the start! If I may suggest... Get a 2 quart stainless pot from the local thrift store. It'll hold about 35 pounds at a pop, not over stress the Coleman grill and make smelting 600 pounds of scrap a much easier task.

David R
09-11-2005, 09:49 PM
I had a small pot and smaller burner. I bought a 10" Maybe 12" deep cast Iron fry pan @ wally world for $17.00. I got out my burner I use to brew beer (15.5 gals) and used the pan on that. WOW were are going now. My only bottle neck is that little Lyman dipper I use to get the metal out of the pot into the muffin tins. It takes 7 dips to make one lead muffin.

Valve stems make lousy Flux!

600 Lbs is a lot of lead to smelt.

Have a blast!
David

boogerred
09-12-2005, 12:33 AM
moody- i got a coleman single burner that screws directly to a short squatty bottle. igot tired of that real quick and went to a buddys welding shop and found a piece of 7-8 in pipe that the burner would sit in, welded some legs on it and bought a hose and adapter for my bbq pit bottle. if i keep it out of the wind i can melt,clean, and pour a 5 gal bucket of ww,s into ingots in about 3 hrs.doing it that fast i do need to remelt and reclean before i make bullets

NVcurmudgeon
09-12-2005, 12:36 AM
When my Coleman generator began to let me down, opening the valve farther caused the flame to LOWER. Maybe that is a clue? Dunno, only replaced one generator in forty years and two stoves.

Buckshot
09-12-2005, 06:54 AM
............Moodyholler, go over to casting equipment and you'll see some rendering operations.

.............Buckshot

keeper89
09-13-2005, 10:46 PM
Hey fellas, just spent the day reducing 3 five gallon buckets of ww to "biscuits"......and I had the burner setup right under my nose all along! Last christmas my brother gave me a turkey frier---never out of the box, I'm not really that big of a fan--but I got to thinking about that burner.........put it together and with an old cast iron frying pan---well, let's just say thet I'm REALLY glad that casting bench is made exclusively out of 2 by 6!!!!

Good casting to all!