PDA

View Full Version : why cant you use a lyman for push through?

Mach_Cat
06-10-2014, 02:16 AM
I have a new to me lyman 45, As of yet I have not used it so this is probably a stupid question.
But just looking and reading the instructions I am wondering if with a little rework you could not just push the boolit on through with the next boolit like a star does. why do you need to lift the boolit back up?
Are the dies not able to allow this push through?
thanks Ed

dromia
06-10-2014, 05:06 AM
People have done this on here so no reason.

I use the Perfessor's doofur so I can use the H&I dies I have as push through sizers.

rmatchell
06-10-2014, 05:29 AM
I have an old 450 that I milled off the lower part of the press so that I can push through into a bin.

As far as I know stars have a second lube piston and lymans do not. So with a lyman the pressure on the lube has nothing to stop it once you remove the center of the die.

Im sure it could be done but it would take some work.

Bigslug
06-10-2014, 09:11 AM
As far as I know stars have a second lube piston and lymans do not. So with a lyman the pressure on the lube has nothing to stop it once you remove the center of the die.

The flow of lube would have to be the bullet itself, and the depth adjustment of the shove would have to be on the handle/top punch end of things.

Of course, then you get lube flowing into the nose areas as the bullets pass. Never mind.[smilie=b:

375RUGER
06-10-2014, 09:14 AM
The star pressurizes the lube ports at the bottom of the stroke. The Lyman is under constant pressure.

Mach_Cat
06-11-2014, 06:40 PM
So if the lyman is always under pressure, what happens to bevel base boolits? what keeps the press from trying to lube that area as it goes by?
I have a 10rd H&G with bevel base is this going to be a problem?

35remington
06-11-2014, 06:43 PM
It will lube the bevel base area.

375RUGER
06-11-2014, 07:44 PM
I've read on hear that foam cup or the foam from a retail meat tray will keep the lube off the bevel base. IDK because I don't have any bevel base boolits.

Maven
06-11-2014, 07:54 PM
I have a new to me lyman 45, As of yet I have not used it so this is probably a stupid question.
But just looking and reading the instructions I am wondering if with a little rework you could not just push the boolit on through with the next boolit like a star does. why do you need to lift the boolit back up?
Are the dies not able to allow this push through?
thanks Ed

Mach Cat, I did that very thing with my RCBS Lub-A-Matic II today. All you need to do is remove the sizing die ejector rod and the ejector rod assembly on the Ly. #'s 45, 450, or 4500 and the RCBS LAM I & II. However, you can only size the bullets, as lubing must be done as a separate step. I'll use liquid alox or Lar's Liquid Xlox for that. Btw, it takes less than 5 mins. to reinstall the parts and restore the machine to normal operation.

Mach_Cat
06-11-2014, 08:24 PM
Marvin
So you still need to do the up down thing when you lube them, or are you tumble lubing them after sizing.
Mach_cat

RP
06-11-2014, 08:31 PM
I use mine to size PC boolits and I am not using lube on them so I removed what I needed to and put a tray to catch them. As far as bevel base boolits I have found adjustment of the stop and the amount of pressure I use it only lubes the needed section of the boolit.

Mach_Cat
06-11-2014, 08:47 PM
If you get lube in the bevel base area does it need to be cleaned all off before loading?
Will it contaminate the powder?

Beagle333
06-11-2014, 09:00 PM
You can take an empty shell casing of the caliber you are loading and use it to cut rings out of an egg carton and put them under the boolits as you lube and it'll keep the lube off the bevel base. You can do a dozen or so before the little foam ring gets too sticky to be fun, and you get another. You can cut a bunch of them out of one egg carton though. :)

Maven
06-12-2014, 11:15 AM
No up and down, MC. Assuming the proper nose punch, just insert the CB, push down on the handle and remove it from the bottom of the device. I'll tumble lube them later.

Btw, it's "Maven," not "Marvin."

TenTea
06-12-2014, 11:55 AM
For nose first thru-sizing and speed, sans bullet lube...hard to beat the Lee cast bullet sizing dies mounted in a press.

I also just started using a Lyman 45 and really like it so far, using Old NRA lube I made.