PDA

View Full Version : .22 Hornet mid range load performs

dtknowles
06-09-2014, 08:37 PM
I have been working on a load for my new NOE mold and think I have a good one. I had tried to get away with not sizing either the bullets or cases but had too much neck tension variability so I sized the bullets to 0.225" and lubed with 50/50 in my Lyman lubresizer and full length sized the brass. Earlier groups yesterday were not as good even if they had 2 or 3 holes touching, they would have a flyer that spoiled the group. My Hornet is a Ruger #3, I cleaned the bore, fired a single fowling shot and then shot this group. Woo Hoo. Earlier shooting with slightly less powder at 50 yards indicated this kind of potential so, I am happy this load looks to be working out. Need to confirm with more groups soon. I guess I will try to post the picture later(can't make the tool work even though I have done it many times), the group was just over 1.5 MOA at 100 yards and the load was 3.5 gr. of Green Dot.

Tim

Baja_Traveler
06-09-2014, 10:09 PM
Which NOE mold do you have?

Looking forward to the picture - try unchecking the box "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" if you are posting from a URL - it works for me when I do that...

dtknowles
06-10-2014, 02:28 PM
Got the picture to work using Baja Traveler's suggestion

Or maybe not

Tim

dtknowles
06-10-2014, 05:24 PM
Which NOE mold do you have?

Looking forward to the picture - try unchecking the box "Retrieve remote file and reference locally" if you are posting from a URL - it works for me when I do that...

Still fighting to get the picture to upload. It is a three cavity mold marked .226 45 gr. NOE RF it is a plain base bullet with a single grease groove and a crimp groove or maybe two grease grooves, it is a flat point. The bullet and a loaded round are in the picture.

I will see if it will let me PM you the picture.

Tim

williamwaco
06-10-2014, 05:35 PM
i have been working on a load for my new noe mold and think i have a good one. I had tried to get away with not sizing either the bullets or cases but had too much neck tension variability so i sized the bullets to 0.225" and lubed with 50/50 in my lyman lubresizer and full length sized the brass. Earlier groups yesterday were not as good even if they had 2 or 3 holes touching, they would have a flyer that spoiled the group. My hornet is a ruger #3, i cleaned the bore, fired a single fowling shot and then shot this group. Woo hoo. earlier shooting with slightly less powder at 50 yards indicated this kind of potential so, i am happy this load looks to be working out. Need to confirm with more groups soon. I guess i will try to post the picture later(can't make the tool work even though i have done it many times), the group was just over 1.5 moa at 100 yards and the load was 3.5 gr. Of green dot.

Tim

photos?

Baja_Traveler
06-10-2014, 06:36 PM
Here it is...

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a626/dtknowles/Hornet1_zps0bd2a276.jpg

altheating
06-10-2014, 07:51 PM
It looks like NOE's version of the BRP 226-47, Great boolit in the hornets. All of mine need about 10 shots after cleaning to come back in, but we are using the GC version. Good thing is I only clean after 150 rounds or thereabouts , not sure I have to but I do with patch only. I get the best groups with a good crimp using the lee factory crimp die and the lee collet neck sizing die. It also makes the brass last much longer.

JeffinNZ
06-11-2014, 05:24 AM
Have you tried different primer. Little cases can be very fussy. I use mostly small pistol for my reduced loads now.

Screwbolts
06-11-2014, 06:55 AM
I have the CG version from BRP. for my .2265 sizing works in all of my Hornet chambers. I have also loaded my boolitz plan base using allox on no sizzing at .227, still no interferance in chambering.

I personally would not size them as much, try rolling some in lube and just shooting from the mold. If the chamber easily then the barrel will size them perfectly.

I load the Hornets with Wolf Small pistol Primers, As Jeff has pointed out the thing that light the fire in the small Hornet case can and did make a huge difference in my Hornets.

I also used my throating reamer to extend the throat, allowing me to seat the boolitz out farther after cutting K chambers.

Ken Hall

dtknowles
06-11-2014, 04:58 PM
Have you tried different primer. Little cases can be very fussy. I use mostly small pistol for my reduced loads now.

I have heard that the Hornet often shoots more accurately with small pistol primers but I am saving my small pistol primers for my pistols until the primer supply situation gets better. I did not weigh the charges or weight sort the bullets either, someday I might try and take out all the stops and see if the extra effort is worth the accuracy improvement. It would not be a big deal to load a couple boxes of ammo with small pistol primers, weighed charges, and weight sorted bullets so I should do it but I still am very happy with this load considering how quick and easy it is to load with out all the weighing since I do not have a digital scale. Of course I could mess with crimping (these were not crimped) varying the COAL, try different lubes and alloys :-)

Tim

dtknowles
06-11-2014, 05:13 PM
I have the CG version from BRP. for my .2265 sizing works in all of my Hornet chambers. I have also loaded my boolitz plan base using allox on no sizzing at .227, still no interferance in chambering.

I personally would not size them as much, try rolling some in lube and just shooting from the mold. If the chamber easily then the barrel will size them perfectly.

I load the Hornets with Wolf Small pistol Primers, As Jeff has pointed out the thing that light the fire in the small Hornet case can and did make a huge difference in my Hornets.

I also used my throating reamer to extend the throat, allowing me to seat the boolitz out farther after cutting K chambers.

Ken Hall

The only sizers I currently have are 0.224" and 0.225" the bullets are dropping between 0.226" and 0.227" and originally I was pan lubing and loading them unsized into unsized cases and they chambered fine but pan lubing is a pain and some of my brass must have thinner necks than others as some of those rounds had no neck tension. I only shot those at 50 yards with a bit less powder. I decided they had potential for 100 yard shooting so I up the powder charge to keep them supersonic out to 100 yards and decided to full length resize the cases and run the bullets through my lubresizer. I guess I could tumble lube them. I could also neck size them. Others have mentioned small pistol primers. Can't say for sure what I will do for the next batch, I have a hundred more like these to shoot before I have brass for the next batch.

Tim

dtknowles
06-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Baja

Thanks, awesome. Not sure why I can't do that anymore. I measured the group with a dial caliper the engineering scale is just for the picture.

Tim