PDA

View Full Version : Multiple pour spout/orifice lead pot?

ChrisCbr
06-09-2014, 06:05 AM
Has anyone attempted a pot which has multiple bottom pour orifices? That is to say two or four or perhaps even 6 so that a 2 cavity, 4 cavity or even 6 cavity mold can be filled in one hit? I see most casting machines have a least a two pour orifice configuration, I figure with additional insulation to avoid spout freeze more should be doable?

I'm attempting a semi automated casting machine which uses a rotary drum configuration to bring the molds under the lead pot in turn hence my interest.

mikeym1a
06-09-2014, 06:51 AM
Good luck to you with that. I have enough trouble with only one spout! It would make an interesting project, but, I would never be able to figure it out. I can't see that in my head. mikey

shadowcaster
06-14-2014, 06:20 PM
Good luck to you with that. I have enough trouble with only one spout! It would make an interesting project, but, I would never be able to figure it out. I can't see that in my head. mikey

+1

Shad

country gent
06-14-2014, 07:40 PM
Diffrences in mold makers centerlines of the cavities will be the issue. Another will be alighnment between cavities and spouts. It is a neat idea but would probably only work with certain molds.

old cobra
06-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Don't know about Magma master pot, but, their master caster works great pouring 2 at a time.

GLL
06-14-2014, 11:10 PM
My Magma 40-pound Master Pots have two hole orifices although I currently have them set for one hole operation.

Jerry

myg30
06-15-2014, 08:27 AM

+ 2 on that !

runfiverun
06-19-2014, 10:14 PM
I use the magma master caster pot set-up with two spouts.
I use it with 2-3-4-5-6 cavity molds so it's not an issue.
I even made a go with a single cavity mold for a minute or two before swapping out the cover for single spout use.
but since I have multiple casting pots I leave it just set-up with two holes and just use one of the other pots for the single cavity molds.

ChrisCbr
06-24-2014, 04:35 AM
Alrighty. Once I machine up my plans I'll be back to wow you all.....or not as the case may be :)

Southern Son
06-24-2014, 10:20 AM
I have seen a couple of multi-pour type spouts done on the internet (cannot remember where, too many years of being hit in the head), but the common complaint was spout freeze. You have to keep the length of the spouts short or your have to come up with a way to heat it. From memory, one bloke had trouble with the lead being a little cooler in the spouts further from the pot, and this lead to his boolits in the end cavities not being well filled out when compared with the ones in the middle. To combat that, he turned up the heat on the pot, but then the boolits in the middle were well frosted, and the ones on the end looked good. I wish I had saved the page of the bloke that appeared to get it right. It was pretty cool.

dilly
06-24-2014, 11:09 AM
Alrighty. Once I machine up my plans I'll be back to wow you all.....or not as the case may be :)

Please do. These projects are one of my favorite things about this site.

People who are told it can't be done, but do it anyway.

ChrisCbr
06-24-2014, 02:43 PM
Ah yes spout freeze. I'd anticipated that which is why I have a Teflon casing around the spout head. Hopefully it yields something positive

bannor
06-24-2014, 03:15 PM
Ladles work better, anyway, in my experience (with a lyman bottom pour). I had not thought of a multiple-pouring spout ladle, tho. Maybe I will make one and try it. 6 cavity molds are rather long (in .45 and put a premium on fast pouring. Mainly, I don't like how slow the electric pot is to do a melt (vs propane fired plumber's furnace) and I don't like the 20 lb restriction (vs 100 lbs or more) either. the furnace makes smelting out steel clips, etc, quite simple and swift. it's a nightmare with the small pots.

ChrisCbr
12-21-2016, 04:57 PM
Better late than never. Yes it's an old thread but it's mine ;) more coming soon.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161221/25cc7dd5166ea1262623cedf9127aa8d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChrisCbr
12-22-2016, 10:13 PM
So far so good. Four streams of silver molten lead running into my Lyman mold. I'll post a video up at some point.

The blue is homage to the master caster design, the plan being to populate the main frame with parts I'm working on using the MC pivot principal.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161223/b6bd81ea8653346b2109869ab0b09913.jpg

maxreloader
12-22-2016, 10:32 PM
Galena would approve!

rancher1913
12-22-2016, 10:47 PM
whenever an old thread comes back to life I groan a little, but not on this one---it has promise of new things. keep updating please.

Nick Quick
12-23-2016, 01:16 AM
This aparatus is totally worth a short video. I'm dying to see it in full swing.

ChrisCbr
12-23-2016, 04:56 PM
Will do. Currently it's just pouring into a hand mold so not complete. Still a lot faster than the Lee pro 20 pot.

ChrisCbr
12-23-2016, 11:53 PM
YouTube video of the spouts in operation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu9FyZoE-aA

ChrisCbr
12-23-2016, 11:59 PM
There is a little post pour dribble, not a big deal and easy to alter through the tap design. Cast about 1500 40 cal projectiles in about an hour once I got into the flow of things.

Nick Quick
12-24-2016, 12:31 AM
I can't cast that number of bullets with my Master Caster. It looks like you made it.
The only question I would have is about the lead pot. How many lbs of alloy it holds? At that rate the level of alloy in the pot will go empty quite fast.

ChrisCbr
12-24-2016, 12:55 AM
I can't cast that number of bullets with my Master Caster. It looks like you made it.
The only question I would have is about the lead pot. How many lbs of alloy it holds? At that rate the level of alloy in the pot will go empty quite fast.

For sure, it's a 100lb pot so running out isn't an issue so far (the heater is a 1600W band heater).

I use a counter weight for my four banger Lyman 175gr mold and a damp sponge to cool the sprue and keep mold temp in the working range so there is no need to pause for a cooling period of the mold.