PDA

View Full Version : "Appalachian American" ballistic tips.

Bagdadjoe
06-08-2014, 03:49 PM
I'm originally from upper East Tennessee and having grown tired of the slur "hillb***y", I now be's ..."Appalachian American". I started filling my hollow point 22's with Bondo after reaming the cavity out a little bit. (We like bondo around here) Worked great on possums and other like sized critters with no or very little difference in accuracy (we're talking possum, not 10 ring). I filled some j-word .45 auto hp's with it for stunning results. The hp won't clog with cloth, but it WILL turn itself inside out. I moved to town....first time in 30 years and lost my backyard range, and the "sportsman's club" is a gentlemanly place and only allows paper targets. I haven't had opportunity to try these on some "proper targets" like "shoot fruit", melons and the like, or waterfilled milkjugs :-) These are cheap and ridiculously easy to make. A small container of Bondo will make hundreds. Just mix the Bondo and a little hardener real well and dab it in to the cavity with a popsicle stick, tongue depressor...whatever. It starts to set up in about 5 minutes. Take a utility knife blade and slice off the excess and it's done. Let 'em sit overnight and the tip is pretty much permanent. I haven' t had any tips to fall out yet after sitting. My standard mix is 4 ww to 1 lino, only because I have a bunch of lino to waste. I'm guessing these would still expand.... I know the 30-1107434 lead mix I have will.
The bullets shown are Mihec .358 180's. I plan on loading the "AA Ballistic-tips" of soft lead in some 38 Specials. I'd be interested in seeing some results if anyone tries it.
Hey, you won't be out anything, that Bondo stuff can be used to fill those salt rust holes in your fenders too. Amazing stuff. ;-)

daengmei
06-08-2014, 04:08 PM
Tired of being called a hillbilly?...I'm from WV and prefer it!

Bagdadjoe
06-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Depends on who's calling and the tone.

salpal48
06-08-2014, 04:47 PM
My self and My wife were from Upstate New York. Were called Woodchucks. Now I can Be a Woodchuck American

Jack Stanley
06-08-2014, 04:56 PM
If you'ns wuz a Michigan tater farmer yuh woun mind it suh much .

Jack

shooter93
06-08-2014, 07:19 PM
For a very long time and to some even today the term Hillbilly was meant to demean Appalachians and was considered as derogatory to them as the infamous "n" word is to blacks. Being an Appalachian myself....yet a highly refined one I might add....you can address me as a Mountain William...lolllllll. And yes Joe....there is no life without bondo and duct tape.

salpal48
06-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Soon In this country we will be called Illegal Americans

Bagdadjoe
06-10-2014, 10:08 AM
Soon In this country we will be called Illegal Americans

Sooner rather than later, I'm afraid. About everything you want or need to do is already becoming "illegal".

Mohillbilly
06-14-2014, 09:14 AM
Good use of " bondo " and I ain't no " webfoot flatlander "

Dale in Louisiana
06-14-2014, 10:44 PM
Good use of " bondo " and I ain't no " webfoot flatlander "

Let's watch that 'webfoot' comment, okay? Down here in South Louisiana we don't have hills, but we got enough marsh to make web feet an evolutionary step in the right direction.

dale in Louisiana
(I didn't have webbed feet, but my sister did.)

Hardcast416taylor
06-14-2014, 11:08 PM
Well, here in Michigan you`re either a "stump jumper" if you live in upper Michigan or you`re a "flatlander" if you live in the Southern part of the state.Robert

RustyMusket
06-14-2014, 11:15 PM
I too grew up in a small Erie Canal town in mid-western NY...south of Lake Ontario....proud to be a "Woodchuck" !

dondiego
06-15-2014, 09:21 AM
Well, here in Michigan you`re either a "stump jumper" if you live in upper Michigan or you`re a "flatlander" if you live in the Southern part of the state.Robert

You can also be a "Troll" if you live below the Mackinaw Bridge or a "Fudgie" if you visit the Upper Peninsula from the Flatlands.

Mumblypeg
06-15-2014, 09:31 AM
I have been call just about everything at one time or another, so ? Yankees used to call all southern people Rebs or Rebels... I was just "Southern" but have been known to rebel for a noble cause.

Bill in Ky
06-15-2014, 04:04 PM
Here is western Kentucky we are called RedNecks.. I still have a 100 yard range off my back porch
d:^)

dbosman
06-15-2014, 04:27 PM
To the original post, there are a lot of threads, some of them with science quoted, dealing with open cavities vs. filled cavities. Many dealing with adding a BB of some sort to the hollow point.

MtGun44
06-15-2014, 11:32 PM
OK, don't care where you are from, I have lived about everywhere in the country at one
time or another.

Why put anything in the cavities? Straight ole air works for me, darned cheap and really
easy to install.

Bill

RPRNY
06-15-2014, 11:43 PM
I believe we have the makings of a new National Geographic tv series here. Expect a call from some producers. We are focus grouping "Life Below the Mason Dixon", "Ultimate Survivor Appalachia" and "Just Stuff We Do Here"...

Hickok
06-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Depends on who's calling and the tone.Born and raised in WV, I agree with that line of thinking.

I don't call the Yankee tourists that travel here to the mountains bad names, and I never laugh about their strange accents or the funny little "tights" they wear when riding a bicycle!:lol:

(and yes I had kin that fought on both sides in War of Northern Aggression, one relative a Yankee cavalry man was captured and died a prisoner of war in Richmond, and two brothers who fought for the CSA in the 33rd. Va. Inf., they were cousins of the Union soldier who died in a POW camp.)