PDA

View Full Version : Enough for piggies?

mstarling
01-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Finally got some 100 yard boolit data for my 22" barreled .458 AR Mauser rifle. The .458 AR is a .375 RUM case opened up, shortened and improved. Rifle is fitted with a 2.5x Leupold Compact scope. A "light" jacketed bullet load (425 gr Rhinos) has chrono'd at 2375 fps from this rifle.

Loading 435 gr #1437 Ballisti-Cast WFNGC projectiles cast in WW with 50.0 gr of XMR 5744 am getting 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Projectiles are lubed with Carnauba Red. Too snowy to chrono but a decent estimate is 2000-2100 fps. Am seeing no metal fouling at all.

Estimated energy is around 3900-4200 lb-ft.

Thinkin' about taking it to Texas to hunt this weekend. This is good enough to hunt piggies with?

Blammer
01-15-2008, 05:48 PM
I'd say so!

Wayne Smith
01-15-2008, 05:51 PM
I took a ~200 lb North Carolina boar with a 405 Win shooting a 250gr cast at just under 2000 fps. I was the only one in the woods that day that got a one shot kill, not even the guy with a 7mm Mag. It was a heart shot. It simply collapsed where it stood.

I assume your question is somewhat rhetorical??

SPRINGFIELDM141972
01-15-2008, 06:10 PM
+1 on Blammer

You tryin to get processed sausage links at time of death? Now that would be time management:-D.

Everett

mstarling
01-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Yeah ... a little on the rhetorical side. :mrgreen:

Is a "cheap" build rifle. Parker-Hale commercial Mauser action cost me $200, barreling with a silouhette contour Douglas barrel was $200, Bold trigger was $40, Leupold QRW mounts were $45, and the Fajens synthetic stock was $40. Required a bunch of work on the magazine to create a new front wall and "window" the sides to get three down and one in the jug. Feeds like a banshee.

A genuine elephant gun in that price range is just not too bad if it shoots. This one seems to do just that! Am tickled!

Have taken piggies with .338 Win Mag, 9,3x62, 9,3x74R, and .375 H&H with jacketed bullets. These calibers tend to deliver DRTs (Dead Right There). Very interested in the performance of the 435 gr WFNGC WW boolit as they are REALLY cheap in comparison to Barnes, Woodleighs and Rhinos.

(Just got a Quickload estimate for the velocity of the round ... 2150 fps. Would yield something over 4400 lb-ft of energy. Will try to verify in the spring when the weather allows the use of a chrono. We'll see if it will kill a piggie at the end of the month ;>)

bearcove
01-28-2008, 08:44 PM
I was at the in-laws last year, east texas. Check where you are hunting every thing there was shotgun only.

357tex
01-29-2008, 12:35 AM
Here in north east Texas we hunt with what we want to.Here pigs are a pest.They can make a mess of a hay meadow overnight. i kill everone I can,most of them with a 357 .Ours don't run very big,200lb is a big one.Although my neigbor back 20 years ago killed one that went 420lb.I was raising watermelons at the time and sat up many nights trying to kill him.HE was crossing a pasture in mid day out in the wide open,Danny shot him,with a 22 250,behind the ear.I had been feeding him watermelons all summer,trying hard to get a shot at him.I wish I had been the one to kill him.He was a cut boar,don't know where he came from,but he got loose from someone.They can make a mess.Did I say I don't like pigs!:redneck:

Wicky
01-30-2008, 02:21 AM
I use a 6.5x55 or a 308 - you would hope it would be sufficient wouldn't you?
Good luck with it and don't forget to post some results!

01-30-2008, 11:04 AM
yes.i believe its enough and i plan to do some pig hunting with my .32 ws soon.

wonderwolf
01-30-2008, 12:58 PM
I'm not much of a hunter but from my experiance shooting the only varmint we really have in Ohio (wood chucks) It depends on shot placement. I've had DRT's with .22's and seen a chuck of the same size take a full cylinder out of a .357mag and still make it to his hole.

Rifles seem to work the best on chucks as the bullet pretty much blows up in the ground hog when it hits. Solids would punch through but not do the damage I can imagine you would want on pigs.

I hope to get out to southern Ohio for some piggy hunting I'm working on loads for my .458 Win mag for DRT shots. Fitted with a guide peep sight and a lower bead the Rem 700 shoots well for me and has a decent natural fit.

Like I said I've never done any big(ger) hunting. But I understand the theory on these things "ok". you give up expansion for penetration and penetration for expansion. You don't want the bullet to go through and through cuz that means you are wasting energy and the wound channel will not be an effective one.

http://www.lasc.us/AfricanHunt-CastBullets.htm

Some good info on their findings with heat treated cast bullets.

Four Fingers of Death
01-30-2008, 02:59 PM
Do you just want to kill them or slap them, pick them up and fling them a few feet? That load should do both. :D

Bigjohn
01-30-2008, 08:42 PM
Now, if you could only get two to line up just right so you don't waste the energy of the exiting bullet..............

This is definitely a DRT calibre, should work well on the Australian Water Buffalo; if you want to give it a try.

John

357tex
01-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Wonderwolf
Pigs are built funny you shoot them in the shoulder and break it and all you want to destroy lies in between the shoulders.A cast boolit does well on them.you shoot one behind the shoulder like some do deer,you hit gut.then you best have a good dog to ever catch it.Either shoot the shoulder or the head, if you want your pig.And either place a cast boolit shines.:castmine:

Lloyd Smale
02-02-2008, 07:42 AM
id say it would handle a pig and probably take out a buffalo on the off side!

Newtire
02-17-2008, 01:08 AM
Trouble with that load is it's going right through and if there's a pair side by side, you might just wound the other one. Don't need that much penetration really. It truly is just a matter of shot placement.

Ghugly
02-17-2008, 04:25 PM
Last piggie I killed was with a .45-70 trapdoor. Half inch hole on one side and great big hole on the other. Just how big are the pigs where you're going?

tommyn
02-17-2008, 05:17 PM
I'm going Boar hunting next month in south central OK and planning on using a ruger blackhawk in 45lc shooting a 255 cast at 1100 fps and possible second one with contender 357 max.

mstarling
02-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Sadly, only saw one piggie ... about a 200 pounder. As it was on the first morning out, I had taken the sure fire game getter (a 9,3x62 CZ 550 American) which is also a DRT caliber and it delivered the DRT. Next two hunts did not put anything under the scope. Will have to try again. The freezer is full now, so I can play for real ;)

xtimberman
02-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Glad that CZ did the job for you!

I've got to say that I salute you for dedicating enough gun to the task! Waaay too many hunters in Texas are convinced that .22WMR is just right for hogs. Granted, a .22WMR solid in the ear will usually do the job, but most fans of that cartridge can't/don't have the skill to perform that trick every time.

I love pig-hunting tales. Keep telling your stories.

xtm

dukers65
03-05-2008, 08:19 PM
my bro-in-laws in s.w. tx. used cages to trap em, then used a 22 to kill em.

Gohon
03-05-2008, 08:42 PM
You could use a sharp stick if they're trapped in a cage. Try that in the field and see how well it works.

kjg
03-18-2008, 10:43 PM
See here in the south we likes to shoots 'em wit 22's and durn tooten ifen we don't traps 'em to.kjg

cbrick
03-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Here's a picture of a pig that needs shootin just to put it out of his misery.

http://www.lasc.us/piggy_bank.jpg

Scrounger
03-19-2008, 12:29 PM
Here's another:

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o9/artcompton/odonnellRosie.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o9/artcompton/ODonnell.jpg

BD
03-20-2008, 06:37 PM
I killed another one Friday night with the DW 744. I prefer shooting them in the neck, or just in front of the shoulder if they're angled toward me.

I shot one in the shoulder at a high angle from a stand and just took that leg off at the "elbow". Apparently the bullet traveled down the bone. He took off lickety split on three legs and I didn't find him until the next day, holed up in the worst bamboo and briar patch I've ever been in. I was no match for him in there and never did get him.

Every one I've shot in the neck went straight down for the count.

We used to kill our domestic pigs at about 250 lb with a single shot from a .22 LR down through the top of the head. Just imagine an "X" between the eyes and the ears and center the X.

BD

DanWalker
03-20-2008, 08:07 PM
You could use a sharp stick if they're trapped in a cage. Try that in the field and see how well it works.

We actually used a stick with a syringe on the end of it, ful of succinylcholine.
Give Mr piggy a poke with that, give it about 5 minutes to take effect, then jump in trap with him and give him a KCL injection to the heart to kill him.
The most exciting method Involves a sharp knife(I used a USMC KaBar) Dive headfirst into a briar and cactus patch with half a dozen blood crazed hounds, and grab piggie by back legs,throw piggie on his side, drop one knee accross his neck so he can't raise up and bite/gore you, and stab him a few times in the heart with the knife.
My favorite thing to do after one of those hunts was to walk into the convenience store in Avalon, all covered in mud and pig blood, and buy myself a cold soda. The looks i got from the tourists were absolutely PRICELESS.

longuner
03-28-2008, 05:04 PM
DanWalker,

Might you be reffering to Avalon, Ca. ?

buckshot&brass
04-05-2008, 01:13 AM
We have to use 22 mags. on wildlife management areas unless deer season is open,not crazy about it but head shot's work.I'm sure chest shots work to but no blood trail.