PDA

View Full Version : Penta vs. round HPs?

fatelvis
06-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Has anybody done a side-by-side comparison of these two types of Boolits concerning expansion and accuracy? If so, I would love to see the results! Thanks-

osteodoc08
06-08-2014, 04:42 PM
No, but I can already tell you the Pentas are better :p

gray wolf
06-08-2014, 05:14 PM
I don't think I/we/they need any better than this, be it a round hole or a penta segmented.
Then again I am of the sort that a 45 ACP need not expand, but just sayin here.
I get the same from a non segmented, just doesn't tear at the segmented part.

fatelvis
06-08-2014, 05:57 PM
GreyWolf, were those pics of round HPs? What velocity and alloy?

gray wolf
06-08-2014, 07:12 PM
I get the same from a non segmented, just doesn't tear at the segmented part.
They were pentas ( segmented ) but the round hole flattens the same amount.
Metal was WW and pure Pb 50%
Powder was Long shot, 1/2 grain below max load as per Hodgons reload data
bullet was 200 grans give or take 5 grains. A decent load for any type of encounter.
They also shoot well as a target bullet for the 45 1911 --just don't need to be screamers for paper.
4.9of tite group shot well, I pulled one, bad on me. But 5 grains is a good load also Eh.

silverjay
06-08-2014, 08:41 PM
For me the penta's opened ~0.1" more in diameter, did not group as well. 50/50 coww/SOWW. Same results in 9mm and 45. Penetration through wet phone books and milk jugs was about the same.

Shuz
06-09-2014, 09:58 AM
Has anybody done a side-by-side comparison of these two types of Boolits concerning expansion and accuracy? If so, I would love to see the results! Thanks-
I have the MP-431-256HP with 3 sets of pins. My rather rudimentary testing in dry phone books has not given me any conclusive info that would indicate that one point style expands more etc than any other. I've been driving them at 1050fps from a .44 mag with ww+1%tin, mixed 50/50 with pure Pb. The few times I tried doing some accuracy testing, the small pin hp's SEEM to be a little more accurate than the regular HP which is definitely more accurate than the penta points. All testing was done at 25 yds from a rest with a 4X Leupold EER scope mounted on a 5" 629 Classic DX that has given me countless less than 1" five shot groups at 25 yds.
I recently tried some regular pin hp's that I "opened up" as I sized them with a HP pin that Miha provides with the 433-300HP. Accuracy on a few of those was really poor, so I am gonna try the same testing again.
My testing is not very "scientific" by some standards, and my means of measuring expansion/penetration is laughable, but I siure am having fun in my old age!--Shuz

41mag
06-09-2014, 07:05 PM
to be honest I haven't given the Penta a real good work out. I have tried to pour some up and it always seems that I need to work the pins over first in order to get them to drop properly and on a regular basis.

Now with the round pins oh yea they have been tested out plenty, well if the Penta is any better than these, I might look back into them a bit

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=81563&d=1378939907

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=81564&d=1378939949

Oh and these have all been way more accurate than I am at holding the sights still. They DO indeed shoot right where you point the end of the barrel.