PDA

View Full Version : redfield scopes

milltownhunter
06-08-2014, 09:40 AM
are redfield scopes any good I been seeing a lot of used ones that are real cheep in good shape I use leupold and burris on most of my rifles

Mr Peabody
06-08-2014, 10:16 AM
I bought one right after Leupold brought them back on the market. I didn't like the way the adjustments worked; erratic. For the same money now I use the Vortex Diamondbacks, very good value.

flounderman
06-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Nothing wrong with the old Redfields. I don't know about the new ones.

nekshot
06-08-2014, 12:19 PM
all older models are thought to be junk but I am a junk buyer, so send em to me!

Jeff Michel
06-08-2014, 12:24 PM
I've got a couple 2x7 Revenges when they first came out. Pretty nice scopes. Like you, I prefer Leupold, I quit Burris when they started making them in the Philippines. The Redfield Revenge are made in the states, the Rampages are Philippine.

fouronesix
06-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Redfield?? Depends on vintage. If from the original Denver-based company they were very good... I still have three. One has been on the same rifle since 1970 and it's never changed POI, leaked or anything else and is still going strong. I also have two of the earlier "scout" type LER scopes from that same late 60s era- both still excellent. If however from the post-Denver middle era (in Redfield name only) they were junk. Since Leupold bought the name (late era), they've had reasonably good reviews, but I've no direct experience with them.

35 shooter
06-09-2014, 02:48 AM
The old redfields were good scopes. Last year i bought one of the new redfields made by leoupold in the oregon plant. The tracking and clicks were off bad and the scope failed to hold zero within a month. This was on a 35 whelen. The store gave me another one and it failed quickly too. I traded back with the store for the difference on a new leupold...problem solved!
I know of at least 2 other people this has happened to in the last year. I think there's a problem with the new redfields that needs to be addressed by leoupold and i hope they do, but for now i don't want another one.

Lead Fred
06-09-2014, 03:03 AM
The redfield acc-trac scopes were the Army's choice during Vietnam. In the 1969 Gun Digest it was noted that they work well on any two legged varmints in black PJs.
I used them before and after I joined the Army, until the mildot was made the Army's choice. Which I still use today.

The new ones are Chinese junk like BSA, and piles of other once great scopes

bobthenailer
06-09-2014, 07:33 AM
During my 40+ years of shooting & hunting , i first started off with Bushnell scopes on every firearm with excellent results ! Then as my experince & goals grew i switched to the old orgional 1970s Redfield scopes , they were also excellent and a step above Bushnell . Then after some more time had passed i went to Leupold scopes even on various 22lr rifles . For me at least the leupolds are the best that i have used and have no complantes on there performance , they always meet & exceed the need! i think i currently have at least 10 Leupold scopes in use

Scharfschuetze
06-15-2014, 03:23 PM
Having grown up in Colorado, I was and I'm still a fan of the Denver made Redfields and I enjoy owning and using two of the old 3X9 Accu Tracks, a 3200 long target scope (think Unertal) as well as a fixed powder Redfield. I once drove to the factory in Denver to have a dot reticle replaced with a 4 Plex style reticle in the scope on my deer rifle of the time. Customer service was great back in the day and they even rebuilt my 3200 target scope at no cost when the windage adjustments wore out. While not scopes, I also use Denver made Redfield "International" and "Palma" aperture sights on my high-power and small bore target rifles as well as an old Redfield aperture sight on my Model 94.

I haven't used the new Leopold made versions, but in looking through them at the LGS, they seem bright enough and they seem to resolve as well as most other quality scopes on the market. Were I to need a new scope, I certainly would consider one. Redfield was once synonymous with quality in both iron and glass sights.

35remington
06-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Some incorrect information above.

There is no such thing as a Redfield Rampage.

The Revenge scopes are made overseas. The Revolution scopes are made here.

Between a friend and I we have 2 of the 2-7X Revolution scopes and one 3-9X all with the 10 dollar extra reticle. They have been excellent so far. Cannot speak about the overseas ones, but the scope tracks close to its adjustments and once adjusted stays adjusted.

I would and will buy another. The American ones, that is.

357Mag
06-16-2014, 12:36 AM
Milltown _

Howdy !

My best friend was NBRSA " Rookie Shooter of the Year ", his first year into bench rest shooting.

15years on, he's owned/shot a whole bunch of Leupolds, and has the $$$ to purchase NF, March; Sightron.... basically any scope he might want.
He's looked through bunches more.

For his varminting 700BDL .22-250, he just recently went w/ a Redfield, citing their optics clarity; amongst other factors.

Tells me something.

With regards,
357Mag

Larry in MT
06-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Some incorrect information above.

There is no such thing as a Redfield Rampage.

The Revenge scopes are made overseas. The Revolution scopes are made here.

Between a friend and I we have 2 of the 2-7X Revolution scopes and one 3-9X all with the 10 dollar extra reticle. They have been excellent so far. Cannot speak about the overseas ones, but the scope tracks close to its adjustments and once adjusted stays adjusted.

I would and will buy another. The American ones, that is.

Yep -- I was about to make these same points.

I also have a 2X7 Revolution with the circle aiming point on a Mini 14. It tracks well, seems bright to me and I've had zero problems. I'd buy another.

swheeler
06-16-2014, 01:26 PM
I've got a couple 2x7 Revenges when they first came out. Pretty nice scopes. Like you, I prefer Leupold, I quit Burris when they started making them in the Philippines. The Redfield Revenge are made in the states, the Rampages are Philippine.

I just looked at a Revenge recently, Phillipines now the Revolutions are still USA