PDA

View Full Version : The search for lube ingredients

calsite
01-15-2008, 10:53 AM
I picked up most all ingredients neded to make some Felix lube yesteday at my neighborhood K-Mart, Anhydrous lanolin was probably the toughest thing to find in my search but K-Mart had it in tubes behind the pharmacy counter for about $2.30

Calamity Jake
01-15-2008, 11:54 AM
www.fromnaturewithlove.com has anhydrous lanolin and beeswax by the pound.
The lanolin is not medical grade and there for, cheeper and they have beeswax in pellet form
making it easy to weigh

dubber123
01-15-2008, 05:59 PM
E-bay is where I have been getting my Anhydrous Lanolin, I think it comes to about 14$ a pound delivered.

mroliver77
01-16-2008, 08:10 AM
I hate going to the pharmacy counter to ask for it. I usually get a puzzled look from the lady (always a lady!) and then asked "What do you want it for?"Next time that happens I will tell her for bag balm. ;)
I just whipped up a new batch of FWFL only using the dextron 3. I have some 180gr for the krag cast and will hand lube this batch. I went ahead and cooked the whole bottle of castor oil with double that amount of atf for future lubes and will only need to heat enough to mix ingredients as the castor oil/atf has been polymerised and needs no further high heat cooking. I also took all my other homade lubes and melted together mostly alox beeswax type stuff with a little kitchen sink added. I then added some of the polymer and soap till it was right cosistancy and stayed mixed. I nice dark brown semi hard very sticky lube. It is working very well on 357, .223 and 30-40. I am set for lube for a while! J

1Shirt
01-16-2008, 11:07 AM
I kind of miss the old pharmacy type drug store where they still mixed compounds.
They were sort of fun. I one time found a bluing formula in one of the old gun books that said that any druggist could mix up. Well, after going to about 4-5 large pharmacies and getting looked at like I was from out of space, I found a plain old time drug store, and an old time druggist. He looked at the list of chemicals I had on a slip of paper, and said "oh-your going to blue some gun parts eh?" He mixed me up about two quarts of the stuff, charged me I think less than $5.00, and said he had not mixed up that stuff in 20 years. You can't find those drug stores any more, just like it is very hard to find an old time hardware where you asked for something odd, and the went and found it. You probably do as well on e-bay today. The old days had some advantage.
1Shirt!:coffee:

calsite
01-16-2008, 02:50 PM
thanks for the info.

Leftoverdj
01-16-2008, 03:09 PM
You can get any lube supplies you might need at www.thesage.com