PDA

View Full Version : Filling out the mold problem

fiatmom
06-06-2014, 04:50 PM
When I cast the 530 grain postell bullet the grease grooves are not crisp and have rounded edges in some parts. I increased the heat and it helped but now I have frosted bullets. What am I doing wrong. I did carbon the mold before use and it was hot.

IraqVet1982
06-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Try heating the mold more.

ShooterAZ
06-06-2014, 04:55 PM
Clean the mold again (very well), and don't "carbon" it this time. Pre-heat on a hot plate first. You did not mention the alloy, but if it is tin poor, you may add a bit of tin to help fill out.

country gent
06-06-2014, 05:19 PM
How are you casting this bullet, Bottom pour pot, Ladle pouring or pressure pour with a ladle? The postell is a big bullet in bigger blocks. You need several things 1) proper temp of alloy, 2) a fast consistent pour filling the mold, 3) a good sprue possibly even a little over pour. 4) a alloy thats compatable.
I cast the lyman Postell with a converted to nose pour mold. I run 700-750 degrees on pot, 20-1 alloy, heat mold on top of pot. I use a ladle with the spout opened to .200 dia. I pressure pour and let the whole ladle full of lead run through keeping the base hot as long as possible. Let the sprue freeze and cool a little then cut and drop bullet. I have "vented" my sprue plates to make this easier to do.
Before starting clean mold good with dish soap and water, a old tooth brush works great. Really work up a foam to float crud up and out. Dry good. Warm mold slowly on a hot plate or over the pot.Also clean ladle with hot soap water and tooth brush. Heat ladle floating on the lead to start then submerse into lead. When pot is up to temp and ladle pours a full stream from start to end your ready to start.
Rest ladle submersed in the lead between casts to maintain heat. I rest the mold on the edge of my pot when filling.
Experiment with diffrent things, keep detailed notes on whats been tried and results. If this is a new mold it may require a little break-in time. Check to make sure vent lines are clear and open. A darning needle can be pulled thru them to remove crud.
I would clean the mold and pull a needle thru the vent lines on both faces, Heat and make sure lead mold and ladle are at useable temps. You should get good bullets pretty quick.

Tatume
06-06-2014, 06:07 PM
Frosted bullets are good bullets, shiny bullets may or may not be good. You should strive for frosted bullets. Also, add some tin to lower the surface tension of the molten lead and allow it to fill the crevices of the mold fully. Two percent tin is ideal.

Wayne Smith
06-06-2014, 08:30 PM
Country gent is right, we need more information. I cast the Lyman 457125 single cavity with a standard Lyman ladle and did this before I got a hot plate. In fact this was my second mold. I usually made about six that I tossed back before I saved the results to heat up the mold. Then it runs fine.

TXGunNut
06-06-2014, 08:36 PM
Sometimes just loosening up the sprue plate screw helps.