PDA

View Full Version : new and looking for help

corey012778
01-14-2008, 11:32 PM
I am new to this forum. I was told to came here to get some good advice.

I am looking into starting to cast my own bullets. trying to keep my start out cost down. I am on a very tight budget. any help or ideas would be great.

Thank you
Corey

bobthewelder
01-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Seems the more inbred you act as you write, the more responses you will get. My new greetings got about a third the looks of another who posted after me, and about half the responses. Act inbred and stupid here and you will get responses! Ya gotta speek theer langwage!

mtgrs737
01-15-2008, 12:36 AM
Not enough info Corey, If you want help you have to give the guys info like, cal. of boolit, type of gun, what you are going to do with the gun/boolit (loading) etc. Things like that. Don't worry you will get more advise than you wanted.

Casting on a budget: Lee two cavity mould, cast iron melting pot from a second hand store, Used Camp stove (from a garage sale/second hand store), Lee liquid Alox lube, 20 pounds of scrap wheel weights from a tire store.

Lee Mould $15 - $20
Cast iron pot $5 - $10
Used Camp Stove $10 - $20
Lee Lube $3.50
Scrap WW's $5 Maybe Free!

Total:

Low side =$33.50

High side = $48.50

If you need to add a Lee push through sizer (comes with Lee Lube) you can add $12 - $15 othwise shoot as cast.

Equipment should pay for itself in 250 to 600 boolits.

corey012778
01-15-2008, 12:43 AM
44 cal and 45 cal for sabot muzzleloaders boolets, conicals, .30 cal, 7.62 x 39, and 9 mm.

I reload 30-06 right now, may be adding 7.62 x 39 and 9 mm later. trying to talk my bother in law into doing his 44 mag and brit 303. my dad reloads 30-30

no counting if I buy another guns this year[smilie=1:

fatnhappy
01-15-2008, 04:33 AM
Seems the more inbred you act as you write, the more responses you will get. My new greetings got about a third the looks of another who posted after me, and about half the responses. Act inbred and stupid here and you will get responses! Ya gotta speek theer langwage!

Thanks, for the kind words.

Powderpacker
01-15-2008, 07:09 AM
Thanks, for the kind words.
What he said !

sundog
01-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Yeah, me too, Bob.

Corey, one of the most important pieces of gear is safety glasses. DO NOT cast without eye protection. If fact, put that as number one on your list, and don't even light the fire until you have them on. The tinsel fairy careth not to where she slings, or when.

waksupi
01-15-2008, 08:57 AM
Gotta talk nice to the inbred, Bob. They may be kin!

Lloyd Smale
01-15-2008, 09:12 AM
i resemble that statement

johnho
01-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Corey, after the post by Bobthewelder you may have trouble getting some answers as the inbreds can get roudy. and after that one, he deserves it. Even the inbreds will answer his question cause they just don't know any better and will try and help. they don't have long attention spans either (LOL).

First off, get a casting book like the Lymans Cast Bullet Handbook. there are limits to what you can with cast bullets in some of those calibers so you need to know if those limits are ok for you.

The least expensive way to go is to look on Ebay after you have decided on what molds you want. You will need a sizer and again some deals can be had on Ebay. Use the search function on this site to research bullet types for your rifles and handguns before asking questions. but if you do want to skip that then inbreds will chime in. (remember they have short attention spans from that inbreeding) Chances are someone has already asked the question and you will find lots of information. _(Duh, bobdawelder, lookee at this suggestions)

Awww come on babdawelder, lighten up, say you're sorry and kiss and make up. We all love a little kiss now and then. No one here means any harm and will eagerly help you too, yes even you. Now if you make nice we will help more.

Inbred John

EMC45
01-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Start slow, safe and cheap. Be Safe!

Swamprat1052
01-15-2008, 11:05 AM
Well I never knew till now that I was inbred. I never asked a question here that wasnt answered and answered correctly and well. Thanks again everyone for all the good advice you have given me and others.

Corey the tight budgets what got me started in this and I can afford to shoot more than I ever have now. Like has been said the Lee stuff is a good way to start. If you want to upgrade later you can, and still not break the bank starting out and you can make good boolits and loads using it.

Good luck and God Bless,

Swamprat

94Doug
01-15-2008, 11:23 AM
I also think picking up an older lyman reloading manual (on ebay) is a good idea. Something like a 44, 45 or 46 will have a lot of good information on casting, and loads for the boolits as well.

Doug

corey012778
01-15-2008, 04:48 PM
I knew a book would be something I need to get. I got a camping stove today. I needed it anyway.

and for bob's comments, I did not even give them a second thought. :coffee:

bobthewelder
01-15-2008, 05:51 PM
I was actually trying to be funny, not insulting. Sorry

johnho
01-15-2008, 08:50 PM
I know the problem bobthe:drinks:welder. I now try and put a little smiley face if I think I will be misinterpreted. Welcome to the group.:drinks:

J

wills
01-15-2008, 08:58 PM
I am new to this forum. I was told to came here to get some good advice.

I am looking into starting to cast my own bullets. trying to keep my start out cost down. I am on a very tight budget. any help or ideas would be great.

Thank you
Corey

Use the search feature at the top of the page and search for the word; newbie
That should return a lot of introductory material. Also look at these

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=6774

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=6520

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=6203

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=6108

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=6059

sundog
01-15-2008, 09:24 PM
I was actually trying to be funny, not insulting. Sorry

See, Bob, that's what happens when you hang out with a bunch of inbreds. No one understands nuthin'.... Hey, I'm trying to be funny. Kinda scares me sometimes when I look up into the family tree.

Methinks y'all gonna make out jest fine here. Apology accepted, but don't say nuthin' 'bout me half brother, okay?

corey012778
01-15-2008, 11:18 PM
I am going to start out casting for my Muzzleloader. I figure it be the most forgiving out of all my guns. work with 44 cal boolits. I found some molds that would be close to what I am using now with it. or was it in 45 cal. looks like I gotta look at my catalog again.

bobthewelder
01-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Famalee reunion: This proovs beond a dout that we are al related

http://mytrailerpark.com/

corey012778
01-15-2008, 11:44 PM
if we all do think about it, we are all related in some way or another.

oksmle
01-16-2008, 12:47 AM
"if we all do think about it, we are all related in some way or another."

Nope. I refuse to be related to Sundog.... oksmle

corey012778
01-18-2008, 09:05 PM
what I have and what I have on the way so far.

two burner camping stove - $20
42 lbs of WW - $4
4 qt dutch oven (I think 4 qt) - $14
therm. - $15
a few other things I can't remember

I have old lead fish sinkers, 5 12 ga slugs, some 000 buck, and lead airgun pellets (almost a full pack)