PDA

View Full Version : History behing the flag draped coffin

buckwheatpaul
06-04-2014, 03:32 PM
A long read .... but the refresher was worth the read.....

Meaning of the "Flag-Draped Coffin"

All Americans should be given this lesson. Those who think
that America is an arrogant nation should really reconsider that
thought. Our founding fathers used GOD's word and teachings to
establish our Great Nation and I think it's high time Americans
get re-educated about this Nation's history.
Pass it along and be proud of the country we live in, and even
more proud of those who serve to protect our 'GOD-GIVEN' rights
and freedoms.
I hope you take the time to read this ... To understand what
the flag draped coffin really means ... Here is how to
understand the flag that laid upon it and is surrendered to so
many widows and widowers:
Do you know that at military funerals, the 21-gun salute
stands for the sum of the numbers in the year 1776?

Have you ever noticed that the honor guard pays meticulous
attention to correctly folding the United States of America Flag
13 times? You probably thought it was to symbolize the original
3 colonies, but we learn something new every day!

The 1st fold of the flag is a symbol of life.

The 2nd fold is a symbol of the belief in eternal life.

The 3rd fold is made in honor and remembrance of the veterans
departing the ranks who gave a portion of their lives for the
defense of the country to attain peace throughout the world.

The 4th fold represents the weaker nature, for as American
citizens trusting in God, it is to Him we turn in times of peace
as well as in time of war for His divine guidance.

The 5th fold is a tribute to the country, for in the words of
Stephen Decatur, 'Our Country, in dealing with other countries,
may she always be right; but it is still our country, right or
wrong.'

The 6th fold is for where people's hearts lie. It is with
their heart that they pledge allegiance to the flag of the
United States of America , and the Republic for which it stands,
one Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for
all.

The 7th fold is a tribute to its Armed Forces, for it is
through the Armed Forces that they protect their country and
their flag against all her enemies, whether they be found within
or without the boundaries of their republic..
The 8th fold is a tribute to the one who entered into the
valley of the shadow of death, that we might see the light of day.

The 9th fold is a tribute to womanhood, and Mothers. For it
has been through their faith, their love, loyalty and devotion
that the character of the men and women who have made this
country great has been molded.

The 10th fold is a tribute to the father, for he, too, has
given his sons and daughters for the defense of their country
since they were first born.

The 11th fold represents the lower portion of the seal of King
David and King Solomon and glorifies in the Hebrews eyes, the
God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

The 12th fold represents an emblem of eternity and glorifies,
in the Christians eyes, God the Father, the Son and Holy Spirit.

The 13th fold, or when the flag is completely folded, the
stars are uppermost reminding them of their Nations motto, 'In
God We Trust.'

After the flag is completely folded and tucked in, it takes on
the appearance of a cocked hat, ever reminding us of the
soldiers who served under General George Washington, and the
Sailors and Marines who served under Captain John Paul Jones,
who were followed by their comrades and shipmates in the Armed
Forces of the United States, preserving for them the rights,
privileges and freedoms they enjoy today.
There are some traditions and ways of doing things that have
deep meaning. In the future, you'll see flags folded and now you
will know why.
Share this with the children you love and all others who love
what is referred to as the symbol of ' Liberty and Freedom.'

MAYBE THE SUPREME COURT SHOULD READ THIS EXPLANATION BEFORE
THEY RENDER THEIR DECISION ON THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE. FORWARD
IT; MAYBE SOMEONE WITH THE NECESSARY POWER, OR POLITICAL AND
FINANCIAL INFLUENCE, WILL GET IT TO THEM.
IN THE MEANTIME, MAY GOD PROTECT US ALWAYS.
ONE NATION, UNDER GOD, WITH LIBERTY AND JUSTICE FOR ALL.

wcp4570
06-04-2014, 10:26 PM
I spent almost 21 year career in the USAF an witnessed the flag being retired and folded at the end of the duty day many times. The most moving ceremony I witnessed during my service time was a military funeral for a fellow Airman that I knew well and worked along side of every day. The flag draped coffin, honor guard, 21 gun salute, playing of taps and slow deliberate folding of then presenting the flag to a young widow was very moving. That event will stay with me until I die. Thanks for sharing.

wcp

Bad Water Bill
06-05-2014, 12:56 AM
Thank you for the informative post.

trapper9260
06-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Thank you for the post ,when i was in the navy and was waiten for my ship to come in to get on it that I was honer guard and did the gun and fold of the flag and also polbearer. As for the 21 gun we only shot 18 rounds and put 4 in the flag to give to the love one.

AZ-JIM
06-06-2014, 12:42 AM
Thanks for sharing, the Military funeral is very powerfull and emotional. We had one for my dad when he passed away. It was hard enough losing him, and at the same time attending the services, but also couldnt feel more proud and thankfull for his service to his country (and all vets for that matter). Watching the honor guard fold the flag under those circumstances is quite an idescribable experience. My brother in law took an awesome picture durring the rifle volley, all rifles firing simultaneously with ejected brass airborn from each rifle. I had it blown up to a 16x20 and put in a nice frame. I had my grandpa make the flag case, it is a piece of 60+ year old walnut that was part of the house my grandma grew up in.

az-jim

selmerfan
06-07-2014, 12:07 AM
(putting on flame suit)...
A few notes. First - please cite a source for the 13 meanings as the original meaning behind the 13 folds of the American flag, other than the fact that proper flag etiquette prescribes that before a flag be presented or stored that it be folded twice in half lengthwise and then, beginning from the opposite end of the blue, it be folded in triangles until the other end is reached. To properly form the starred "pillow", it requires 13 folds. It is folded this way to provide a dignified ceremonial touch, not because there was any meaning originally ascribed to the folds, though obviously meaning has been attached to the folds.

Second - 21 gun salute history - the factual version rather than arithmetical coincidence.

What is the origin of the 21-gun salute?
The use of gun salutes for military occasions is traced to early warriors who demonstrated their peaceful intentions by placing their weapons in a position that rendered them ineffective. Apparently this custom was universal, with the specific act varying with time and place, depending on the weapons being used. A North African tribe, for example, trailed the points of their spears on the ground to indicate that they did not mean to be hostile.

The tradition of rendering a salute by cannon originated in the 14th century as firearms and cannons came into use. Since these early devices contained only one projectile, discharging them once rendered them ineffective. Originally warships fired seven-gun salutes--the number seven probably selected because of its astrological and Biblical significance. Seven planets had been identified and the phases of the moon changed every seven days. The Bible states that God rested on the seventh day after Creation, that every seventh year was sabbatical and that the seven times seventh year ushered in the Jubilee year.

Land batteries, having a greater supply of gunpowder, were able to fire three guns for every shot fired afloat, hence the salute by shore batteries was 21 guns. The multiple of three probably was chosen because of the mystical significance of the number three in many ancient civilizations. Early gunpowder, composed mainly of sodium nitrate, spoiled easily at sea, but could be kept cooler and drier in land magazines. When potassium nitrate improved the quality of gunpowder, ships at sea adopted the salute of 21 guns.

The 21-gun salute became the highest honor a nation rendered. Varying customs among the maritime powers led to confusion in saluting and return of salutes. Great Britain, the world's preeminent seapower in the 18th and 19th centuries, compelled weaker nations to salute first, and for a time monarchies received more guns than did republics. Eventually, by agreement, the international salute was established at 21 guns, although the United States did not agree on this procedure until August 1875.

The gun salute system of the United States has changed considerably over the years. In 1810, the "national salute" was defined by the War Department as equal to the number of states in the Union--at that time 17. This salute was fired by all U.S. military installations at 1:00 p.m. (later at noon) on Independence Day. The President also received a salute equal to the number of states whenever he visited a military installation.

In 1842, the Presidential salute was formally established at 21 guns. In 1890, regulations designated the "national salute" as 21 guns and redesignated the traditional Independence Day salute, the "Salute to the Union," equal to the number of states. Fifty guns are also fired on all military installations equipped to do so at the close of the day of the funeral of a President, ex-President, or President-elect.

Today the national salute of 21 guns is fired in honor of a national flag, the sovereign or chief of state of a foreign nation, a member of a reigning royal family, and the President, ex-President and President-elect of the United States. It is also fired at noon of the day of the funeral of a President, ex-President, or President-elect.

Gun salutes are also rendered to other military and civilian leaders of this and other nations. The number of guns is based on their protocol rank. These salutes are always in odd numbers.

Source: Headquarters, Military District of Washington, FACT SHEET: GUN SALUTES, May 1969

Third - I have great respect and gratitude toward the men and women of our armed services - especially those who fall in battle. However, as a pastor in God's holy Church, the American flag does not and will not EVER supersede the draping of the coffin with a white funeral pall. While the American flag carries great symbolism and honor, it pales in comparison to clothing the a deceased member of the body of Christ with the final baptismal garment, clothing the saint in white, the sign of Christ's righteousness which drapes over, covers, and eternally exchanges our sin for his righteousness which will be our judge and advocate on the day of Christ's return.

To re-write history in our own image is a grave error. SOME of the founding fathers of our nations were Christians. Others were deists - acknowledging the presence of a greater power than our own existence. While our nation was founded on biblical principles, they were adopted because they were good, sound principles for an ordered nation which elected representatives of the people who were above all supposed to serve the people and the nation - our politicians have forgotten that they are public servants, rather bending to the almighty dollar and temptations of personal power rather than service to others.

I don't mean to discredit your post, but for Christians, the American flag is NOT a universal symbol of unity and God's grace - nothing can replace the signs of God's grace given to us in Holy Baptism and Holy Communion, hence my theological disagreement with the draping of coffins with the American flag within the worship space of any Christian church. A military funeral conducted on military grounds? Sure, the American flag is appropriate. But not within the sanctuary of any worship space, because in that space, the sole source of power and worship is God alone, and any symbol which detracts from our worship of God divides our loyalties to God alone.

buckwheatpaul
06-07-2014, 03:13 PM
selmarfan, I was taught this during Navy ROTC in the late 1960's. It was taught by a now deceased Captain. I had forgotten some of it until a retired Marine republished it. I then went to truth or fact to double check......hope it helps. I appreciate your post and never intended for it to cause a upheavel. I believe in God, country and family.......

selmerfan
06-07-2014, 03:31 PM
As my history research found it, it came into common use in the late 1950s. No offense taken and I pray none received. There are actually quite a few national and patriotic traditions that started during WWII to separate German Americans from the Nazis and in the 1950s to separate us from the "godless Communists". I find history and theology to often be intertwined... Peace! :)