PDA

View Full Version : Lube Ideas?

TenDriver
06-03-2014, 11:32 PM
New guy here trying to get some ideas for bullet lube. Is there something at Home Depot / Lowes that works? I have Lee Alox, but would rather pan lube and try to keep the stuff in the rings. I also read that toilet wax rings are made of junk wax these days and not suitable.

Thanks in advance.

Tatume
06-04-2014, 07:01 AM
There are many lube recipes in the Boolit Lube ! forum: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?58-Boolit-Lube-!

dragon813gt
06-04-2014, 08:11 AM
Please read all the stickies. After that you will have some questions and pretty much all them can be answered by using the search function. You can spend months reading everything in the lube forum.

GhostHawk
06-04-2014, 08:13 AM
There are many recipes out there, loads of stuff to try.

There is also a member here who makes and sells amazingly good lube for very good prices.

White label lube aka LsStuff (Banner at the bottom of this page)

http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/

Great people, great service, great prices. I really love the Carnuba red. It is letting me "salvage" my first attempt at home made lube, that was simply not doing the job.

Green Frog
06-04-2014, 08:26 AM
Look up the Dale53 Pan Lubing technique and the recipe for Emmert's Lube which works great for pan lubing and is made from readily available ingredients. I have a variety of lube pumps/sizers, etc as well as a nice supply of the semi-liquid 45-45-10 we hear about, but for short runs of new bullets in odd sizes, I still "defer to Dale."

Froggie

turmech
06-04-2014, 08:32 AM
I would highly recommend TAC-1 sold here by member Randyrat. IIRC he will sell it in sticks or block form if you want to pan lube. You would be hard pressed to assemble the ingredients for what he sells it for.

If you want to make your own Ben’s Red is a good one and making it is discussed in many posts I believe in the lube section of this form. I think there is a sticky as well on Ben’s Red.

Quite a few other simple lubes mentioned in the lube section as well which are good. Most will use beeswax and some other lubricant. Transmission fluid, 2 cycle oil or petroleum jelly either mixed with beeswax are good choices. Some where between 2 parts beeswax to 1 part lubricant and 1 to 1 would probably get you there.

I buy my beeswax here from members of the site (mostly Randyrat) but if you were looking for a local source in a store I would look for 100% beeswax candles.

TenDriver
06-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Thanks guys.

dverna
06-04-2014, 04:50 PM
White Label Lubes do a very good job and are not expensive ($2/stick). I doubt you can save much by concocting your own plus there is hassle of getting a pot and mixing/heating stuff up. Unless you use a proven recipe you can wind up with a mess.

Don Verna

mdi
06-05-2014, 10:29 AM
I have tried a bunch of recipes for bullet lube, mostly from the stickie "Just the facts...". At first it's fun to concoct a mix that works, but I soon tired of it. For a simple one that works for me and my .38s is 3 to1, by weight, beeswax to Bullplate (or synthetic 2 cycle motor oil).

TenTea
06-05-2014, 10:39 AM
I'm a do it yourselfer with a good local source for beeswax.
When I first looked into lube recipes on this forum several years ago, I cut and pasted the interesting ones into a Word document and printed it out...well, it was about a dozen pages!
I've now moved from pan lube to tumble lube and just picked up an old Lyman 45 lubrisizer, so getting ready to try out a new lube recipe for it.
Leaning toward the old NRA lube: 1 part beeswax - 1 part paraffin - 1 part vaseline = simple

osteodoc08
06-05-2014, 10:46 AM
Another vote for Tac1. Works really well for me in all my magnum revolvers.

62chevy
06-05-2014, 11:30 AM
There are a ton of lube ideas on this site just pick one that sounds good to you. 45/45/10 is what I use from White label, its simple and easy to use. The powder coating thing is peaking my interest now, it's a little more work but you don't have to worry about hardness as much and thinking size won't be as critical either.

You have the Lee Alox so start there and see how you like it.

Beesdad
06-05-2014, 11:39 AM
As stated White Label makes some good block lube that is great for pan lubing... 45/45/10 is going to be hard to beat... Alox has also performed well for me in the past.

David Caldwell
06-08-2014, 02:58 PM
Toilet wax rings work very well by themselves. They also work very well with 20 to 25 % beeswax. Pistols, rifles; 600 fps to 1770. $1.97 gets you a bunch of it. Think of it as thick Vaseline. I use a luber/sizer and can't speak to pan lubing.

fryboy
06-08-2014, 03:17 PM
someone once posted that they tried peanut butter for a lobe and it worked so ...in order to best hedge your bets at success start with the lower velocity/pressure stuff first and then work your way up the ladder eg; the higher you go the more demanding of the lube it is ,melted crayola crayons will work if the application isnt too demanding [shrugz] even beeswax straight and no sir i havent ( nor will i ) try the peanut butter lube lolz ( it's much better in cookies or on home made bread !! )
simplicity is 50/50 beeswax/lithium grease or vaseline after that it can get complicated in a hurry , since you have the lee liquid alox ( LLA ) my best suggestion is to pick up a can of johnson's paste wax and some genniwine mineral spirits ( not the eco-friendly imitation either ) and make recluse's recipe aka 45/45/10 easy by way and alot friendlier to work with than LLA straight , if you do decide to use the LLA ( either straight or mixed ) you'll be wanting the mineral spirits anyways , if using only the LLA thinning it down with mineral spirits is a good idea and the mineral spirits helps clean up any messes made with the LLA ( dishwashing soap doesnt cut it off your fingertips for but one example )