PDA

View Full Version : Hot Glue Boolits!

petroid
06-03-2014, 09:10 PM
Made some hot glue boolits today. Oh, what fun! Son and I killed some pop cans in the backyard and didn't bother the neighbors. He's 10 and asked if there was any kick. I told him no and he tried it and laughed and said there was even less than the pellet gun! Pretty accurate, too! Well, at least at ten feet it was minute of pop can, lol. I also tried my hand at carpenter bee loads. Seeing as I have some in my fence and the kids' playset. I just filled a primed 40SW case with walnut media, cut an overshot card and crimped it pretty good. I know the case headspaces on the mouth and I put a pretty good taper crimp on it but it still went bang. Or, rather, it went pffft. VERY QUIET! Much less than just a primed case or a glue boolit. About as loud as a pellet gun. Knocked over the cans and put some tiny dents in the surface. Should do fine for bees at 10 feet or less. It was just as fun to shoot these at dandelions and knock all the fuzz off.

RPRNY
06-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Shooting carpenter bees with Dad. Now THAT'S memory. Well done.

jeepyj
06-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Shooting carpenter bees with Dad. Now THAT'S memory. Well done.
^^^What he said. Plus one! What a good memory!
Jeepyj

bangerjim
06-03-2014, 10:02 PM
I have cast 38 and 45 HMG's for several years. They are fun. I use my standard molds lubed with PAM and cooled with an ice cube. Glue slugs almost fall out. Tumble them in powder mica in a ZipLok bag. They load & shoot just like the real lead ones and almost as accurate. 1gn of FAST powder makes it really interesting yet about as loud as slamming two big text books together.

banger

petroid
06-03-2014, 10:43 PM
Thanks, guys. We had fun and he's already asking if I can make some more shot shells. I like just the primer because I have close neighbors and don't want to bother anyone. And I don't have any really fast powder.

Joe504
06-03-2014, 11:14 PM
I took a box and put one of those foam squares used for weight room flooring in it and use it as a back stop for my rubber bullets. They don't lose shape and I can reload them

petroid
06-04-2014, 07:35 AM
I like the idea is reusing the glue boolits. I'll have to see if I can recover some and check if they can be used again. It is kind of tedious to cast them